The Megaman Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#46 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

IMO, about games in general, the thing isn't about issues, it's about the strengths. It's not like Megaman 3 is a flawed product, it isn't. You can have a flawless product, and that product can be a boring game. And also, you can have a product with small flaws that are totally forgivable if you have a memorable adventure that justifies it. 

So, my problem with Megaman 3 isn't the flaws. Simply, I don't find a real strong point to catch my attention to that game. But maybe it's me. Usually, it's the most praised game after Megaman 2. The concept of level design is a bit overrated when people reviewed games. There are other aspects that made a game a historic masterpiece, and it's the way to find a path to the gamer's heart (And I think Megaman 2 did that). 

Edited by Air Luigi, 18 September 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#47 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Speaking of level design ...

• Obderhode and HavoX like this

#48 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:02 PM

Air Luigi -
I absolutely agree that flaws can be put to the side for a time if the overall game is enjoyable. As an example (that's completely relevant, I might add!), I really like Megaman Legends despite its numerous and obvious issues. To me, it's still a very fun, entertaining game.

On your second point, I'd say that's fair as well - not everyone will be drawn to the same game. Myself, there's a number of games that are very well received where I just can't see what all the fuss is about. For one reason or another, they just don't draw me in like they did for so many others. For Megaman specifically, my experiences are the opposite to yours - 2 didn't really do it as well as 3 did, personally. The music, the visuals, the bosses, the weapons and so on...it all just clicked for me. But I get that it won't for other people, and that's perfectly cool!

Though, like I said, I need to replay them anyway as it has been far too long. >_< Maybe my thoughts will have changed? I dunno - it'll be fun either way though. x3
  • Air Luigi likes this

#49 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

Btw, I found this interesting:

Inafune stated in interviews that Mega Man 2 is his favorite Mega Man game, because he feels that he was able to put in one-hundred percent of what he was aiming for. Coincidentally, fans widely consider it to be the best Mega Man game, because of its production values, such as graphics, music, etc. Capcom realized that the Mega Man series was a profitable investment, and many ports were constructed along with regular installments released on a yearly basis.

The next game in the "classic" series was Mega Man 3, released in Japan on September 28, 1990 and later released in North America in November 1990. Inafune considers Mega Man 3 as one of his least favorite Mega Man games. In an interview with Nintendo Power in the October 2007 issue, Inafune explained that he was disappointed with: "...what went into the game and what was behind the release of the game." He also stated that he was forced to put the game out before he thought it was ready and during the game's production, the developers lost the main planner, so Inafune had to take over that job for completing the game. Inafune concluded, "I knew that if we had more time to polish it, we could do a lot of things better, make it a better game, but the company (Capcom) said that we needed to release it. The whole environment behind what went into the production of the game is what I least favored. Numbers one and two - I really wanted to make the games; I was so excited about them. Number three - it just turned very different.

Edited by Air Luigi, 18 September 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#50 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

Good to hear Capcom's been meddlesome for that long... :sweat:

It doesn't make Megaman 3 any less of a good game for me. If anything, if it was somehow meant to be better, it's impressive how good it was without being "finished." Don't get me wrong, I would love to see what it'd be like if given the time to come to fruition, it could have been the best in the series without question, but as it stands, I'm still happy with what we got.

#51 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Yeah, probably "the never released potential Megaman 3" could destroy the rest of games easily. The music, the ideas and the robots are there. For me, Megaman 3 is like when you play a quest that's still in demo stage. You can love the direction and the potential, "the aiming of the quest", but still needs work to show his true potential. 

• The Satellite likes this

#52 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

I've always liked Megaman Zero 4. Most people pan it because it isn't as revolutionary as Megaman Zero 2 or 3, or that they streamlined it so much that its just a simple point a to point b blast fest. But I feel its EXACTLY for that reason that the game appeals to me. I don't want to go wandering around complex stages finding crazy stuff/upgrades when I'd rather be blasting! (totally being a hypocrite here with my mega man fan game which does just that! HAAAaaa.... XD) But seriously, the bosses were genius and each had their own quirks and they were MEMORABLE. I can't recall any but a few select bosses from Megaman Zero 2 and 3 that were memorable: Phoenix Magnion is the true standout here.

• Obderhode likes this

#53 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

I've always liked Megaman Zero 4. Most people pan it because it isn't as revolutionary as Megaman Zero 2 or 3, or that they streamlined it so much that its just a simple point a to point b blast fest. But I feel its EXACTLY for that reason that the game appeals to me. I don't want to go wandering around complex stages finding crazy stuff/upgrades when I'd rather be blasting! (totally being a hypocrite here with my mega man fan game which does just that! HAAAaaa.... XD) But seriously, the bosses were genius and each had their own quirks and they were MEMORABLE. I can't recall any but a few select bosses from Megaman Zero 2 and 3 that were memorable: Phoenix Magnion is the true standout here.

I agree with that 100%! MMZ4 was by far my favorite of the Zero series (and also that Phoenix Magnion was the coolest boss from MMZ2).

Edited by Obderhode, 19 September 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#54 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:56 AM

Officially have begun to practice Megaman 3 speedrunning. Practicing in parts really, offline for now, just trying to learn the more difficult parts and tricks separately then string them together. Had the hardest time doing Gemini Man buster only, but after a quick look at the fight by a speedrunner I follow along with some practice, I think I got the strategy down. I don't expect to be this good each time, but I got a recording of the best run:

Pretty proud of it. :heh:

#55 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

I (re)finished Megaman 4 today. After the bland Megaman 3, the level design was a blast... This one is criminally underrated. The music isn't as catchy as in 1-2-3 (but still very good), and the robots are a bit odd. But the weapons are more varied like in Megaman 2 (though, they aren't terribly original). This time all the stages has his proper elements, gimmicks and enemies, and the platforming elements came back to shine! Just lacks the "magic" from the first trilogy, but the big improvement in level design compensated it.

So, 2>>4>1>>>3 for now.

#56 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

I agree with you that Megaman 4 is highly underrated. It doesn't have the best soundtrack, it's decent, though the Cossack fortress themes are incredible, but it has fantastic stage design and fun items. My only real complaint is that the Ring Boomerang is way overused as a weakness in the Cossack/Wily stages, but otherwise it's a quite solid game that really needs more attention.

#57 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

5 done. The robot stages are on par with four, just the castles drag a bit and it's a bit too easy overall, but it's a very solid entry. Same problem as 4, the music isn't very noticeable, it's hard to explain xD The music works fine when you are playing, but then you finished the game... and you didn't remember any track o_O Weird. But all the elements and enemies in the stages feel fresh and polished.

So, for now:

2>4>5>1>3

The problem with the classic series is that the first three games have issues in design, but they have all the charm/detail/music that the second trilogy lacks. But the second trilogy has way better design, gimmicks, polish and better graphics...

Tomorrow Megaman 6... I remember that game very meh, but we will see.

Edited by Air Luigi, 22 September 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#58 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

Air Luigi might just be inspiring me to play through all the classic Megaman games again. The only ones I've placed recently are 2, 3, and 10. I really oughta go back and try to rank them all. After I beat Edgeworth II. And Layton vs Wright. And then there's Smash Bros coming out... I'll get to it sooner or later.

#59 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Playing games is always fun X) After 6, I will skip 7,8 and Bass... to go to 9 and 10. So, 8 bit graphics only.

BTW, Capcom put a seventh "Megaman game" in NES: Darkwing Duck. It uses Megaman 5 engine with a few tweaks and has his own identity (The music is better than in 4-5-6). Has anyone played that game? 

#60 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

Aw, that's too bad. Mega Man and Bass is one of my favorites.

Has anyone else read the Mega Man comics by Archie Comics? They're actually really good, I think.

Too bad I can't afford comics any more ... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users