Official Demo

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Why are you building your quest in a beta? Don't be surprised if some people ignore your quest because of that. Use official Zc 2.5  :?

2.5 is incompatible with Windows 8, it freezes and locks up, so I had to start building on RC2.

I'm stuck in the Lost Woods. I got the Master Sword and that's it. Could I get some help, please?

I don't mean to be very harsh, but your screen design is...terrible, honestly. It's so crowded, overfilled, and it just doesn't flow well together at all. It almost pushes me away so much that I don't even want to play.

I'm going to put this as polite as possible, but you and me already confirmed that my style of quest designing is not necessarily the style of quest for you. The fact that you're even playing this comes to me as a surprise. 

There's nothing I could say to help you, I suggest you pass from this quest because I know our styles kinda clash. Sorry, but it's the truth. 

• Demonlink likes this

#17 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

I'm stuck in the Lost Woods. I got the Master Sword and that's it. Could I get some help, please?

Start at the beginning of the Lost Woods, then go to the most northeast you can, there will be an exit, but you needed the sword to slash the bushes. ;)

2.5 is incompatible with Windows 8, it freezes and locks up, so I had to start building on RC2.

That's a lie! :lol: I didn't have that problem with 2.5, (only on anything item related I did :P )

#18 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Quests kinda need items. :P

But ya, my new laptop came with Windows 8. I wanted to stick to 2.50, but with the problems 2.50 had, I really couldn't. 

#19 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

Quests made in the new betas should usually work in 2.5, but as we see here there can be exceptions.

I tried the demo again, and I could get the boss key. I'm playing in 2.50.1 RC2...

So, what you said there, Air Luigi, is not quite right. People don't ignore it because it was made in the beta (I make all my quests in this beta), but because of this weird bug, that NJF should fix, somehow. :)

It may even be my fault that this bug exists in the quest, because it was me who suggested to use treasure chest combo types for big chests.

Edited by Avataro, 06 May 2014 - 05:07 AM.

#20 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

Air Luigi is such an Air Luigi! :P But if he wasn't, than we wouldn't have an Air Luigi! (Does that even make sense???)

Anyways Avataro, it was a good suggestion, it feels right. But I don't understand why it's being inconsistent. I'll update the beta as soon as I fix it.

Today I'm going to play the demo in 2.50 to see if I recreate the same problem, if so, I'll have to recommend playing this quest in that beta until I am able to find a better solution.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 06 May 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#21 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

Okay, I just confirmed it that this demo contains a bug that doesn't let you get the boss key in level 1 when playing it using Zelda Classic 2.50.

I recommend playing this demo using ZC 2.50.1 RC2 to be able to complete this demo. (I haven't tested RC1)

I will try and find a resolution to the treasure chest problem for ZC 2.50 users. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 06 May 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#22 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

So, what you said there, Air Luigi, is not quite right. People don't ignore it because it was made in the beta (I make all my quests in this beta), but because of this weird bug, that NJF should fix, somehow. :)

Maybe I was expressing my point badly. What I wanted to say is that if you force people to use a beta to play a quest, less people will play it (people it's lazy downloading ZC versions xD). If NJF can't use 2.5 it's understandable. I was thinking that maybe he didn't know that 2.5.1 RC2 is a beta, that was my doubt ;)

#23 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Maybe I was expressing my point badly. What I wanted to say is that if you force people to use a beta to play a quest, less people will play it (people it's lazy downloading ZC versions xD). If NJF can't use 2.5 it's understandable. I was thinking that maybe he didn't know that 2.5.1 RC2 is a beta, that was my doubt ;)

Yeah you are right.

I have to say, though, it's worth it. This demo is really good :D

#24 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for a good demo. Nice work NJF

But i am using Final 2.50 so no boss key for me so i wait for a updated file also.

#25 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

I stopped at the introduction dungeon... the monochrome, confusing, cluttered design just put me off completely.

VSvuyO7.png

Link to image: http://prntscr.com/3i4keg

What's up with the top right...? It looks like a mash up of random cave tiles... the top part of the cave walls are missing, too. I'm not impressed with the change of quality, in all honesty. If you want me personal advice, perhaps give the floor a new cset colour. Change the bridge, mist and water colour. It will make a big difference and navigation will be a ton easier. I'm sorry if I'm harsh, but I was having fun up til now, and I'm disappointed...

Edited by Charizard, 10 May 2014 - 10:24 PM.

• Haylee likes this

#26 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Between you and me, I've always felt the bridges were a bit off myself, and when I say a bit off, I mean completely wrong. I let it slide while I should have really given it proper attention. The bridge to me doesn't even seem to be fitted for that palette entirely. So I'm in total agreement with you there. I didn't do myself justice by thinking "I guess it wouldn't hurt". Because clearly it did.

That corner, I could say it's a simple fix, but really it's not. The amount of work that would fix that one corner would probably make me just as well scrap the entire dungeon altogether. I'll try the simple fix as I'm not really desiring the idea of scrapping the whole dungeon.

As for the water, haven't you considered that I wanted to give it a muddy appearance?

Update: Thinking about that corner again, having that top right corner as a overhead seems awfully incorrect anyways. I always had an off feeling about that overhead feeling forced when I could just remove the door entirely and simply just not have Link walk under that bridge. It was too experimental to work properly it seems.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 10 May 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#27 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for fixing the bridge, it may not look that much of a deal, but personally, this quest looks like it is going for five stars, and little things like this will prevent that from happening (in my books, at least, lol). I can't blame you if you are having trouble with the walls. But perhaps try to make it look like you can't go the right? There is a lot of work put into this, it would be a shame to see it scrapped. It certainly has a lot of potential too, design wise.

As for the mud, it really does not help the monochrome appearance, but I'll let it slide. :P

#28 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

I am completely fine, and don't refrain from the criticism.

I have a lot of faith in this quest, but I have for the longest time hit a brick wall when this quest suffered a huge identity crises (a lot of new design techniques clashed with old design techniques). I started this quest with the same attitude I had when I developed Souls 1, but evolved with this quest to a completely new standard, but this creates a huge inconsistent problem, the whole quest itself has lost focus. Some things you've noted about this dungeon are leftovers of an overall core issue of my design philosophy in general, the same philosophy that made Souls 1 such a controversial problematic quest.

Much of what you saw on the island and in the forest are completely remodelled from its original incarnation. But I guess I didn't quite hit the same mark with the dungeon.

In simpler terms, this quest tends to jump from professionalism to nonsense very fast and than jump back to professionalism. One of my biggest goals is cleaning up the nonsense.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 10 May 2014 - 11:18 PM.

#29 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

How about this?

zelda033_zps5029fdae.png

• Jared likes this

#30 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

I am currently preparing to update this demo. I have included new rooms in the first dungeon add variety and depth to the dungeon, I have also taken it a priority to fix the issues that have been complained about, which includes:

- Boss Key bug for 2.50 users.
- A more polished cleaner version of the dungeon.
- Map update in Lost Woods clueing new players on the objectives.
- Fixed "large map" for the dungeon.

This demo should be released within a few days.
  • Jared likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users