Handy Tips for quest builders with laptops

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

I happen to be one of the users here who owns a laptop. Normally when I'm at home, at my computer desk, I plug in a full-size peripheral keyboard and use it like a desktop PC. icon_smile.gif However, this is not always convenient, so I sometimes use the built-in keyboard. The problem with using a laptop's built-in keyboard is that they usually lack a number pad. A lot of ZQuest's features use the number pad exclusively. It's possible to access the number pad features by holding down the "Fn" key and pressing certain keys (at least on my Dell it is), but this is awkward when you need to do it repeatedly.

So, I wanted to point out a few useful features for fellow laptop users. These are alternate ways to access features that normally utilize the number pad.

- Changing CSet -

I listed this first because I suspect a lot of people don't know about this one. It's now possible (in several of the recent betas) to change CSet without touching the keyboard.

Go to the screen editor. See that note in the bottom-right of the info box that tells you the current CSet? Click it. icon_smile.gif Left-clicking will increase the CSet, while right-clicking will decrease it. Very handy! Unfortunately, it's only available from the screen editor; you'll need to use the keyboard to change it anywhere else.

====== Wheel Mouse Features ======

About the handiest thing a laptop user can do for ZQuest is to plug in a mouse with a scroll wheel. If you have one of these, a ton of useful shortcuts will be available to you. Try moving the scroll wheel in different situations. Here are the ones I've found. Many are very useful for non-laptop users, as well:

- Standard Scrolling -

In the tile organizer, combo organizer, and just about any dialog window, you can scroll through the list with the scroll wheel.

- Combo Sidebar Scrolling -

In the screen editor, mouseover the combo list sidebar and use the scroll wheel. The list will scroll up and down, one combo at a time. icon_smile.gif This is the same effect as holding down "shift" and pressing the arrow keys.

In order to scroll through the list more quickly, hold down the "Alt" key and move the scroll wheel. This is identical to clicking the on-screen scroll buttons (but considerably faster).

- Map Scrolling -

From the screen editor, you can change between maps easily with the scroll wheel. Simply mouseover the small navigation map in the bottom-left corner, and scroll away. This is identical to press the "," and "." keys.

- Info Box Cycling -

From the screen editor, the info box will change displays when you press the PageUp and PageDown keys, but you can just as easily access this feature if you mouseover the info box and use the scroll wheel.

- Flag Changing -

While in the process of placing flags on a screen, to change flag number, you normally need the / and * keys on the number pad. Instead, while you have a flag selected and ready to assign to the screen, use the scroll wheel to change flag number. Remember to first set the info box to display the flag dialog, or you might not be able to tell which number is currently selected.

That's all! I hope you find these useful. icon_smile.gif

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

Wow, this may really help in the future. Thank you, Radien.

#3 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

I think this should be pinned. Too many laptop users need the CSet changing information.

#4 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

Why can't you change Csets with a laptop keyboard? I can change them just fine on my laptop.

Good stuff. This'll come in handy.

Edited by LinkMystro, 17 November 2007 - 04:36 PM.

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

Most laptop keyboards have no numberpads...

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Actually, most laptops can do everything a regular PC can do. It's just less convenient, because you effectively have to utilize a special function key. (Technically it's called the "Fn" key, and it functions similarly to Shift and Alt.)

Basically, laptop keyboards assume that the number pad is not usually going to be used much (since all of the typeable characters also exist elsewhere on the keyboard), but they allow it to be accessed if you reeeaally need it. ZQuest is one of those cases, since it doesn't let you use the non-numpad equivalents of the number pad keys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users