• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#1 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:53 AM

I like spriting! Sometimes I sprite for other people.

I'm most interested in making GBC sprites, especially enemies, bosses and tiles that support exotic locales/dungeon concepts. I'm game to try most other tilesets, barring Classic. Please don't ask for Classic.

Anything I make for this thread is publicly available for anyone else to use or edit (for ZC purposes). That also means I'll prioritize requests that strike me as useful for more questmakers. If you have a private request, feel free to talk to me, but it might take some negotiating.

I am 100% ZQuest illierate. Anything I make has not been field tested, I have no idea how it'll look in play. (But feel free to show me!)

Criticism's fine. Nudging me in private to check on my progress is fine. The progress might be "actually I don't want to do this," but I'll try to be up-front about decisions like that?

• Anthus, Twilight Knight, Mitchfork and 3 others like this

#2 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:36 PM

This is really generous. Thanks for the offer!

Something I've been interested in having is a sort of Gameboy-styled lily pad with a blooming flower on it; most lily pads in ZC lack such detail. I think it could be nice. Reference below.

Spoiler

#3 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:54 PM

Here's 2 versions of a 16x16 lily pad:

[see edit]

And a different flower that can be overlaid, if you're not too strict with GBC limitations:

001_flower.png

I might do a 32x32 platform lily pad later. (Dimi's also shared her own version, so I put the priority on these decorative ones.)

EDIT: HAHAHA ANYTIME I POST ANYTHING I AM IMMEDIATELY COMPELLED TO KEEP PICKING AT IT

002_lilypad.png

(EDIT EDIT 2024: Hi! Discord's broken the image links. Taco Chopper's helping me rehost. In this case I'm using subtly different lilypads--the water under them is changed.)

Edited by Ether, 26 February 2024 - 10:16 PM.

• Twilight Knight, Demonlink and Matthew like this

#4 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:34 PM

Curious to say... but what about a female GBC Link?

#5 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:03 PM

Could you elaborate on that? Are you asking specifically for a genderflipped Link, or just any female protagonist with a full set of GBC sprites who's not an existing character?

Edited by Ether, 04 April 2021 - 09:05 PM.

#6 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:44 AM

003_glinnefront1.png

I might keep messing with this, but this design is my rough starting point. The full spritesheet miiiiiiiiight be a while. I think it makes sense to have more sheets for protagonists, but that's a lot of frames.

EDIT: 004_glinnefront2.png

• Demonlink and Matthew like this

#7 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:37 PM

unknown.png

I might keep messing with this, but this design is my rough starting point. The full spritesheet miiiiiiiiight be a while. I think it makes sense to have more sheets for protagonists, but that's a lot of frames.

EDIT: unknown.png

That actually looks pretty damn good! :D 

What I was thinking more about actually, was some sort of adventurous lady/girl sprites. Not quite like, but something like this.

#8 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:25 AM

007_glinnesheet.png
Black hair was a mistake.

This should cover the basic job. I'm not quiiiiiiiite done with it--if nothing else, Dimi's asked for jumping sprites for sideview, and there should probably be shield versions. She doesn't really look anything like a female Link in any palette but green, so that should work fine both ways. (She does hold an uncanny resemblance to Princess Jasmine when she's blue.)

006_gerudo.gif   005_courier_front.gif
I also made frontsprites for these two. I haven't done anything else on them, though.

EDIT: changed the backsprite slightly, added swimming item Get sprites.

Edited by Ether, 26 February 2024 - 10:17 PM.

• Twilight Knight, Mitchfork, Sheik and 2 others like this

#9 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:43 AM

unknown.png
Black hair was a mistake.

This should cover the basic job. I'm not quiiiiiiiite done with it--if nothing else, Dimi's asked for jumping sprites for sideview, and there should probably be shield versions. She doesn't really look anything like a female Link in any palette but green, so that should work fine both ways. (She does hold an uncanny resemblance to Princess Jasmine when she's blue.)

gerudo.gif   courier_front.gif
I also made frontsprites for these two. I haven't done anything else on them, though.

EDIT: changed the backsprite slightly, added swimming item Get sprites.

That looks freaking sick!!! Perfect!!! And yes, if you can, some shield versions would look lovely. :D Preferably, if they could look like the ones from LA where Link holds his shield on his arm:

https://encrypted-tb...BjDIzQ&usqp=CAU

And lastly, would it be too much to ask for "using power bracelet" sprites? The ones where Female Link is holding, pushing and pulling? :D

#10 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:48 AM

Can you make sprites for the Firebird tile set? It's similar to GBC but it's own style I guess. I'm looking for a bunch of enemy and boss sprites.

#11 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

Could you be a bit more specific on what you're asking for? I was under the impression that the 2.0 release has enemies/bosses.

Firebird's unfortunately going to be a backburner thing for me. (I actually really like Firebird, and would love for it to see widespread use. But I also don't think there's much I can do for it. The general consensus I get from questmakers is that it's just extremely user unfriendly and almost no one likes making screens in it--the product of artists without enough input from questmakers. And, uhhh...I would not be a change to that pattern.)

#12 Sans

Sans

Hey kid wanna buy hot dogs ?

• Members

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:29 PM

i have 2 ideas. The first one well how about a young princess of zora or i dunno a black swordwoman ? The swordman would be inspired from Kirito from SAO. As for the second idea i wondering if you can make a mine like dungeon wall or maybe a dungeon wall entierly made of ice or volcanic rocks. Thoses dungeons walls would be a great choice for a mine/fire dungeon and a icy dungeon like for example a Glacial Tomb or the Erupted Forge as a dungeons quests X) 

#13 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:39 PM

Er, is this you floating ideas or are those things you specifically want? Are you asking for those characters as protagonists with the full array of animations?

I can try the ice wall. I...can try a volcanic rock wall, but I'm not 100% confident that what you're thinking and what I'm thinking are the same thing, and I'm also not confident that a molten version will look any good under gameboy palette limitations. (On a tangential note I hate that the gameboy games think lava is maroon.)

Currently still working on the first character. All of her existing sprites have been changed a little from the last version (I rethought her headpiece), so fair warning. I added shields, a couple miscellaneous frames, and am currently working on push/pull animations. The shields are more the ZC style than the GB style...I'm not sure I'm going to implement a GB version in this rollout. I don't think I can make satisfactory jumping sprites without field testing, and my usual lab partner is indisposed tonight, but I do want to get those done when I can.

• Demonlink likes this

#14 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:59 PM

Could you be a bit more specific on what you're asking for? I was under the impression that the 2.0 release has enemies/bosses.

Firebird's unfortunately going to be a backburner thing for me. (I actually really like Firebird, and would love for it to see widespread use. But I also don't think there's much I can do for it. The general consensus I get from questmakers is that it's just extremely user unfriendly and almost no one likes making screens in it--the product of artists without enough input from questmakers. And, uhhh...I would not be a change to that pattern.)

Unfriendly?? Guess I'm a nutcase then. I find it pretty easy to work with from a design perspective. My only complaint with it is pallets appear mostly the same and with sprites which have that classic or gbc style to them which kinda clashes with the more cartoony style of Firebird. At least to me anyway but I'm not an artist and I can learn to live with it.

I don't have specifics for you yet but I will when I move onto building out NPCs, enemies and bosses. Which I'll have a few requests for. I just wanted to ask if you were cool with working in that tileset. To be honest I haven't had much drive to work on my quest because I knew I'll need sprites at some  point but also knew finding an artist is like pulling teeth.

#15 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:19 PM

That's fair! When you know what you want, I'll see what I can do. I might have to ask you to get me spritesheets for samples I can refer back to and try to emulate, though...I can use ZQuest just enough to see if tiles are there or not, but getting them to the right palette or getting them out of the program and into Aseprite where I can look them over properly would be more of a hassle.

Edited by Ether, 06 April 2021 - 10:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users