#1 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:08 AM

Nargad's Trail: Crystal Crusades by Twilight Knight and CastChaos

q605s4.png     q605s10.png

This is the sequel to Nargad's Trail: Argon's Evil Lair, but the gameplay and concept is quite different from NTAEL. The quest doesn't put much emphasis on story, but instead focuses on an emerging world to explore. Besides that, there are 8 classical dungeons featured in this quest and 1 big final dungeon. While you go through the dungeons in a linear order, side quests and a massive overworld to explore change up the pace constantly.

Features:

• A compelling story, but no heavy cutscenes!
  • A vast overworld, countless hours of exploration
  • 8 mysterious dungeons, all with a puzzling, unique theme
  • 1 final dungeon, with two possible endings
  • Many interiors, filled with witty, strange and funny characters
  • A heavily modified version of DoR 1.0 as tileset
  • Reappearing NPCs from NTAEL
  • Discover more about Argon and the Orb of Fierce
  • Custom (non-scripted) bosses
  • Good quality graphics
  • Many scripts to make the game smooth
  • Energy resource instead of mana
  • Some custom music
  • Walking SFX
  • Travelling system
  • A few sidequests

Still the best overworld in ZC. It has some flaws, but man, the world is super fun to explore.

• Twilight Knight, Colin, Shane and 2 others like this

#2 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 16 November 2023 - 07:23 AM

I'm honoured to have my baby as the first quest in the Quest Club!

• DarkFlameSheep, Colin, Russ and 4 others like this

#3 connor.clark

connor.clark

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 November 2023 - 05:41 PM

For people playing in a recent build, it helps with z3 development (and in general, helps with ensuring compatibility) when we can add a replay for an entire quest. A simple way to assist in that is to enable the "record new save files" option (found in launcher settings for the player), and DM me the resulting .zplay file when you've finished playing the quest. big thanks!

• Twilight Knight, Russ, Shane and 1 other like this

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:43 PM

Five dungeons into this one now and I'm really enjoying it. The trek from level 1 to level 2 is a real difficulty outlier but aside from that I haven't had many major complaints. Oddly, I've really been enjoying the dungeons in this one so far. I know the quest is best known for its overworlds, but I think this is also some of CastChaos's finer work. His dungeon design style really suits the otherworldly theme of the temples and I appreciate how they all seem to exist in the same sort of location with that cool starry background. Excited to see where this one goes.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 17 November 2023 - 09:20 PM

I'm both enjoying how much there is to explore and frustrated at how many times I find a superbomb trigger and have to think "okay, come back here once you grind for a 300 rupee superbomb and trek over to the 'cheap' superbomb shop". There's two superbomb triggers that I've noticed on the way to level 2 and that's gonna be 600 rupees down the drain. Surprised at how early you can access Sandgaze Village, you can reach it before even finding level 1.

Make sure to explore whenever you get a new option, there's a lot of optional goodies that can make things easier (if you have a 5 bomb capacity before level 1, try exploring a bit more)

Anyways tips for people stuck in level 1:

I can't find the dungeon item!

I have the big key, how do I reach the boss door?

I'm still missing a key!

#6 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 18 November 2023 - 07:29 AM

but I think this is also some of CastChaos's finer work. His dungeon design style really suits the otherworldly theme of the temples and I appreciate how they all seem to exist in the same sort of location with that cool starry background. Excited to see where this one goes.

Certainly! But his finest work is Valami for sure, if you haven't checked that out yet.

I'm both enjoying how much there is to explore and frustrated at how many times I find a superbomb trigger and have to think "okay, come back here once you grind for a 300 rupee superbomb and trek over to the 'cheap' superbomb shop". There's two superbomb triggers that I've noticed on the way to level 2 and that's gonna be 600 rupees down the drain. Surprised at how early you can access Sandgaze Village, you can reach it before even finding level 1.

Yes, the superbombs are overpriced for sure.

I'm glad you both are enjoying it!

#7 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:04 PM

I'm in the middle of the journey from Level 1 to Level 2 and about ready to ragequit, but it sounds like this trips up almost everyone so I'm going to try to stick it out.  I liked the first dungeon overall. 

#8 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:53 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeah it's interesting how there's this MASSIVE PILGRIMAGE so early in the game. You can get the blue tunic and white sword by this point, which helps a ton, but requires grinding out a whole bunch of money. Grinding in this game isn't the worst, there's a lot of tall grass, but still, kind of annoying just on principle.

(I'm on Level 6 right now.)

#9 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:44 PM

I'm quite behind, to the point where I can't see myself finishing the quest before we even get to the next Quest Club entry (Still between Levels 1 and 2.).

minor gameplay spoilers

It's a very good quest, it's just too big brain for me at times.

Edited by Haylee, 20 November 2023 - 01:45 PM.

#10 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 20 November 2023 - 05:55 PM

Beat the quest and sorta 100% it (I got everything and max hearts, but there's spare heart pieces and I avoided picking up those spares to keep my inventory looking neat). I even grinded up for the 5000 rupee bragging rights thing (including picking up every single 50, 100, and 200 coin that was in the quest).

my thoughts, includes minor gameplay spoilers

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

I'm quite behind, to the point where I can't see myself finishing the quest before we even get to the next Quest Club entry (Still between Levels 1 and 2.).

I wouldn't worry too much; the pacing pre level 2 isn't indicative of pacing post-level 2 (which is pretty fast).

EDIT: Also also! Lens of Truth can be a bit tough to find; but you can get it as soon as you have level 2's items. If anyone wants a hint for it, click below:

Lens Location

#11 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:34 AM

I too am between 1 and 2.  I did grind and go back and get the L2 sword, which will help.  I read I can also have the blue tunic but not sure where that is.  My problem is I'll have no access to ZC between Wednesday and Sunday, so I'll fall way behind.  I can catch up next week but this week isn't good.  

#12 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 21 November 2023 - 11:46 AM

Blue tunic location:

Spoiler

#13 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:09 PM

Ugh.  So.  Much.  Grinding.

I'm going to just say despite the obvious amount of content and work put into it, I'm not terribly gripped by this so far.  But from everything I'm reading it keeps getting better so I'm going to stick it out.

#14 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:56 PM

Don't forget that there's a cheaper superbomb in the swamp. They're 299 a pop, not 500. Still a lot, but.

I think I did honestly like The Trek once I was actually on it. Although the continue points in this game are real wonky, so, uh, try not to die in transit.

#15 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:32 AM

The long travel between level 1 & 2 is a very intentional thing.

Entering a house/cave/village/dungeon sets your continue point, that may help. I put some houses/caves all over the place just for that purpose.

I'm glad everyone still kinda likes this quest. For sure I would do many things differently today though and I agree with all feedback that's been mentioned so far.
I hope the Argon's Evil Lair remake (unfinished atm, but a new demo is coming soon) will cater more to everyone's varying tastes!

• Shane and Deedee like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users