Favorite Books

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

First, my favorite book: Use of Weapons, by Iain M. Banks.

It's a science fiction novel that takes place in the Culture, an incredibly advanced utopia. There's a lot of things I love about the Culture as an idea (such as those who live within it being given the ability to change and modify their bodies in whatever way they want), but Use of Weapons is more about one individual, his life, and his past. It's told in a non-linear narrative that alternately moves backwards/forwards in time (changing every chapter).

I know a story has left an impact on me when I'm still thinking about it long after I've finished the book (or film, or videogame...) -- and this one remained actively swirling around in my head for a long, long time after I put the book down.

The other Culture novels are great, too! I'd recommend any of them that I've read so far. And as for other books I've read, they're all listed on my Goodreads page~

#32 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

The Master and Margarita. A modern day fairy tale about Satan strolling into Moscow to have a ball. A fairly transparent satire of the Soviet Union, it's incredibly fun and whimsy.

Alice in Wonderland, and really, anything by Lewis Caroll.

And finally, The Duelists, a rather obscure short story by Joseph Conrad. Compact, fun, and never too dull. You can actually read it online if anyone's so inclined.

#33 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE(strike @ Apr 5 2013, 02:24 PM) View Post

Gandhi and Jesus didn't kill people.

-Strike

Well, considering that Jesus founded Christianity and considering that Hitler founded the Third Reich it is save to say that the in the name of the first more people had to die than in the name of the latter. These are merely facts. (Then again, Christianity had a few hundred more years of time to gather their pile of corpses. And then some good comes from Christianity too, at least. I can't say that to this degree about the Third Reich. So there's that.)

#34 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Might I remind everyone of this rule?
QUOTE(The Rules)
13. Do not start or engage in irrelevant religious or political debates.
Furthermore, this topic is about books, so let's get back on subject about them.

Personally, I don't read nearly as much as I ought to. Some of my favorite include the Harry Potter series, The Hobbit, and Catch-22. I've been wanting to read the A Song of Ice and Fire series, but I just haven't gotten the chance.

#35 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

The sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind. Sure it gets a bit preachy towards the end and the second to last book is almost nothing but people standing around and talking and sometimes you wish Richard would just shut up and actually do something. But on the whole, it was an entertaining saga of 11 books. Just wish the author didn't invoke Dues ex Machina on us. That was lame. lol

EDIT:
http://tvtropes.org/...in.SwordOfTruth
Good selection of tropes and idioms from the series. I agree with them all, but still love the series regardless!

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 11 April 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#36 SpykStorm

SpykStorm

Kamek!

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

My favorite books include the Bartimeaus trilogy and the Inheritance Cycle. I want to read Game of Thrones when I have the time. I love the show.

#37 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

I actually picked up The Color Purple. It is pretty interesting so far! It's becoming harder to understand what's going on, though.

#38 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Why is the Sword of Truth in the top Three worst Fantasy Books Ever written on a pretty authoritative website regarding Fantasy? Everyone has been saying it's really good, but this website has pretty good standards. What's up?

http://bestfantasybo...tasy-books.html

-Strike

#39 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(strike @ Apr 12 2013, 01:23 AM) View Post

Why is the Sword of Truth in the top Three worst Fantasy Books Ever written on a pretty authoritative website regarding Fantasy? Everyone has been saying it's really good, but this website has pretty good standards. What's up?

http://bestfantasybo...tasy-books.html
-Strike

Probably elitist blathering? I am not sure. I have read the first book of the series and started the second, which I never felt like finishing. So I don't hype the series myself too much, but the first book certainly was a good read. I think it was Wizard's First Rule, though I might be mistaken.

#40 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yes, yes it was. I really don't like having someone else think for me when it's apparently going to be a subjective and picky analysis, so I'm going to continue perceiving Sword of Truth to be among my favorite works of fictional literature.

#41 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

i'll become what you became to me

• Members

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Apr 11 2013, 06:11 PM) View Post

I actually picked up The Color Purple. It is pretty interesting so far! It's becoming harder to understand what's going on, though.

You'll have to let me know what you think of it when you're done. I really, really disliked that book.
  • Jared likes this

#42 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Just finished reading Fahrenheit 451. A very good read. This was the first work of Bradbury I had read that wasn't a short story. My biggest problem with it is sometimes Bradbury is overly romantic getting so caught up in metaphors that he forgets what he's saying. Still well worth reading and engaging. icon_thumbsup.gif

-Strike

#43 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

well if i did read a book it would be about HTML, CSS and other things related to web design.

#44 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(strike @ Apr 14 2013, 08:48 PM) View Post

Just finished reading Fahrenheit 451. A very good read. This was the first work of Bradbury I had read that wasn't a short story. My biggest problem with it is sometimes Bradbury is overly romantic getting so caught up in metaphors that he forgets what he's saying. Still well worth reading and engaging. icon_thumbsup.gif

-Strike

Yeah I read that one too. I can't say it's my favorite but I enjoyed it for what it's worth.

Also, anyone of you read the classic A Streetcar Named Desire? Blanche Du Bois is such a dazzling character, I loved her! icon_biggrin.gif Again, not my favorite book but I'd pick it over Fahrenheit 451 I guess.

I assume no one here has read Goethe's Faust? :l IMHO, it's the best piece of German literature to have been written yet.

#45 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hmmm, the last book I ever read was called "El esclavo" (The slave), it's a spanish book (obvious), I don't remember the author though, anyway, I read it, it was like 100 pages but the book was small, kinda like a mini diccionary; It was about a guy who didn't know how to "live", he almost spended every day drinking and partying, having fights with those around him, don' t remember much, but the point is on an accident he becomes "a vegetable", you know, he ended up on a hospital without able to move... The story is about him rethinking all what he has done, and regrets it. Not much of a spoiler, but it's an interesting piece of literature that teaches you to value your life. Pretty cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users