Panic In Japan

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

So as you probably would have heard, a heavy earthquake just hit Japan, also creating a huge tsunami which will hit America and Asia mostly. The earthquake which was just little over 100 kilometers away from the coast of North Japan made heavy damage so far and also effected Tokyo. Japan is where one of our long time members resides: Stray Sheep. So let's hope he is doing fine... Also let's hope our members in the west of Canada and USA and the rest of America will be all right and that the members in Eastern Asia will be fine too (though I don't remember we have any).
IPB Image

#2 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:33 AM

I just read about it before I saw this. It's horrible. There's not much I can think of to say on a situation like this, other than my heart goes out to everyone there.

#3 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

I feel I should note that I have a brother living in San Diego. So, yeah...

#4 Sentai

Sentai

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

I've been up all night and wondered if I should post about this or not.

It sucks, and I just moved from southern California last November, I'd really hate to see how San Diego is handling this right now. I'm in Northern Nevada now, and the distance that waves have to travel is a vast distance, and from what I read (at the time) the Tsunami waves were only about 14 feet high, has that changed? Assuming they go down a foot x amount of miles, I think its safe to say that the only American area that is going to feel any form of effect is Hawaii.

QUOTE(Old-skool @ Mar 11 2011, 06:41 AM)  

I feel I should note that I have a brother living in San Diego. So, yeah...

Ha, we posted at the same time. I hope your brother is taking it well.

Also, still worried about their power plants, the cooling on two of their major reactors had started to fail. Does anyone know if they have been repaired or have the reactors at least been shut off / in the process of being turned off. I'm no real scientist with a PhD or anything, but turning of a Nuclear Reactor can't be easy.

#5 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

There have been a lot of quakes lately. Maybe it has something to do with the irregular climate changes? Well, best wishes to all!

#6 Sentai

Sentai

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 11 2011, 06:49 AM)  

There have been a lot of quakes lately. Maybe it has something to do with the irregular climate changes? Well, best wishes to all!

They do say the changes from season to season (Most notably from Fall to Winter and from Winter to Spring) we see the most erratic whether and behavior in animals... could the earth be falling apart because it wants to get warm?!?!?! *Joke*

Sorry if a joke offends some people in situations like this, but when life hands you lemon's, beat the s*** out of life and laugh at it.

Now to get serious for a second, evidently the waves are coming towards the West Coast... and they'll be there in a few hours.

http://www.msnbc.msn...ific/?GT1=43001

#7 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(Sentai @ Mar 11 2011, 09:44 AM)  

Assuming they go down a foot x amount of miles, I think its safe to say that the only American area that is going to feel any form of effect is Hawaii.

Actually, Tsunami's grow in height the farther they go. Especially once they reach the Continental Shelf.

My heart goes out to all that have been and will be affected by the tsunami.

#8 Sentai

Sentai

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(William @ Mar 11 2011, 06:59 AM)  

QUOTE(Sentai @ Mar 11 2011, 09:44 AM)  

Assuming they go down a foot x amount of miles, I think its safe to say that the only American area that is going to feel any form of effect is Hawaii.

Actually, Tsunami's grow in height the farther they go. Especially once they reach the Continental Shelf.

My heart goes out to all that have been and will be affected by the tsunami.

Well s***... I did say I didn't have a PhD ...

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

Yeah, the waves are hitting the west coast around 8:15-8:45, and the area right around where I live's gonna be hit. I'm far enough inland that it's not going to do anything, but I might head out to the coast to watch it.

Apparently, although all the nuclear plants in Japan automatically shut down, the cooling system in one is failing, and Japan's trying to stop the reactor from melting down. This could turn out badly. Let's hope Japan comes out of this okay, and let's hope the tsunami's headed this way aren't too bad.

#10 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

s***.

Al Jazeera among other networks was streaming this live last night... and F***. You could see a wall of water crawl along engulfing and completely wiping out farm communities. The worst of it was probably the cars on the highway that you could see driving right into it or not going fast enough to get away.

I only hope people got out of that safely and the recovery process isn't a long winded nightmare. s***.

http://img861.images.../4372/dvtiv.jpg
EDIT: Tremendous image URL'ified.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-12709791

Edited by ShadowTiger, 11 March 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#11 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

I have a few buddies living in California, so I hope they'll be all right.

On that note, I hope any and all of you living on the West Coast will be okay, and that I'll keep my prayers that Japan will get out of this in one piece. I would hate to see anything happen to cripple such a fine country.

#12 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

I just saw one of those horrible videoclips that Lemon mentioned (a videoclip of the livestreams). You could see someone trying to run away from the tsunami, but he got caught in it... And the tsunami just wiping away an entire house, taking it with the waves... Sick.

Btw: this image proves you are quite wrong William...:
http://news.bbcimg.c...ke-time-map.jpg

#13 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Mar 11 2011, 12:53 PM)  

Btw: this image proves you are quite wrong William...:

Oh, no no no. You don't understand, I didn't make my last post clear enough. The power of the tsunami lessens the farther away from the source it is
(in this case, the earthquake), but that is only because the islands breaking the smooth ride of the tsunami. Of course, after the tsunami passed Hawaii and many other islands some of it's power will be diminished, but it will still be the same wave created off the coast of Japan. I wasn't saying that the tsunami will be equally destructive here in the US, I was just saying that tsunamis grow in height as they reach the coast. I'm sorry for not being specific enough, it almost sounded as if I was saying that the tsunami just going across the open ocean would make it larger than the one hitting Japan. Basically, if it weren't for many islands in the Pacific Ocean, the wave would be the exact same size when it reached the West coast of the US as it was when it reached the Eastern edge or Japan. Because a tsunami traveling across the open ocean does not become smaller or larger, it stays the same.

Does that clear things up?

Edited by William, 11 March 2011 - 01:26 PM.

#14 Littlelink91

Littlelink91

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

This was such a tragedy. Why Earth? Why did you have to go and shake an 8.8-8.9 magnitude earthquake right along Japans coast? I thought you cared about the life that lives on your mantle. icon_sigh.gif Guess not though.. No but seriously.. this was really bad. The tsunami brought on from the earthquake was literally washing the cities, farmland, and everything else away. I was up early this morning right when it happened. There was this stretch of water shown on television that was covering over everything in Japan as it moved along. I couldn't even believe it was real, its hard to comprehend such a thing was happening. Poor Japan. I prey they have a good recovery.

#15 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

I heard there's some video of a ship getting hit by a wave and disappearing underwater. Does anyone have the link? I can't find it on YouTube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users