Updates Coming Soon(ish)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

YAY, GOOD BYE TO PUREZC STAGNATION. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm... I only have one suggestion I can think of, and it's a lame one, but perhaps it'll be a good place to start -

When I type this:

CODE
[QUOTE]
Blah
[/QUOTE]

It looks like this:

Blah

...It'd be nice to edit the forum display code to remove the excess line break that is inserted before the text within the quote.

That said, my happiness has little to do with tiny peeves like line breaks in the forum code. I'm just glad that certain projects that have been desired by the staff -- primarily you two, which is great on its own -- can now be pursued without crippling limitations due to site access.

#17 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

I am going to miss the green. I am in love with this design, and I think it looks better than other forums. but that could be my taste. XD

#18 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

YAY! Wild Bill finally passed on the torch!

Here's a few features:
The ability to change the title/description of threads that you start.
Collapsable forum sections/forum tree.

Will we be getting new emoticons or anything crazy like that?

As long as the green motif stays (just the use of color; not the design), I'm fine with whatever changes you have in mind.

#19 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Beefster @ May 13 2012, 02:14 PM) View Post
Collapsable forum sections
Don't we have those now or are you talking about something different?

#20 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

I would be willing to help with any codes or script. You may find this hard to believe but I'm the one who made OSX Lion.

#21 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

While it's nice that people are suggesting message board features, I'd like to point out that we will be updating or changing the message board software since it's really outdated and it's a miracle it's still holding together as it is.

If we go the update route, we will be switching to an Invision Power Board that has went through many major version releases since our last update. In fact, it looks somewhat different and has a lot more features from what PureZC is using right now despite having the same core functionality and general layout. That's not to say it can't be skinned to look different and trimmed. We plan on doing that eventually if we go that route.

If we switch message board software entirely, how various little message board things work is going to change anyway. So either way, making minor tweaks is going to be pointless when we'll literally be changing the software. icon_shrug.gif

QUOTE(Hergiswi)
1) Allow access to PureZC from outer space so we can attract Martians.
2) Allow more items per page when viewing quests, tilesets, etc. Those kinds of things. Also, there shouldn't be a humongous gap between the page numbers and the page content.

I thought PureZC already attracted Martians. Why else is everything glowing green? icon_frown.gif

As for the other thing, we'll think about it. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(tox_von)
a download counter on quests would be nice could this be added?

We'll also think about this. The thing about download counters is that they generally go through a redirect somewhere in order to acknowledge that someone actually attempted a download. It's not impossible since I think PureZC actually did this once upon a time with a download center that contained downloads to Zelda Classic.

Then again, there is probably a better method for that now that doesn't involve redirection. icon_shrug.gif

QUOTE(Dustminion)
The only suggestion I can think of is extend the character limit for reviews for quests, tiles, etc. I ran into a roadblock when making a review one time, and I didn't want to abridge it, so I had to post a link to an html file I uploaded to a (now defunct) website. I just feel 1024 characters is too small for people who want to say more than just "It's great!! Keep up the good work!!!"

While people won't be able to write essays, we do plan on doing that. The comment system as a whole is probably going to be overhauled since it wasn't really meant to do much more than expand slightly upon ratings.

QUOTE(Beefster)
Here's a few features:
The ability to change the title/description of threads that you start.
Collapsable forum sections/forum tree.

Will we be getting new emoticons or anything crazy like that?

That first thing could literally be done right now since that's just a setting in the Admin CP. However, we chose to disable that because there is too much potential for abuse with it.

That second thing is already possible as far as categories go. The arrow to the right of each category can expand or collapse it.

In all likelihood, we will not be switching emoticon styles unless someone is willing to make a new set that contains literally everything we currently have. The current set is pretty much based upon the phpBB2 emoticons, but they have a rather lengthy history with PureZC. There are many customized emoticons that have been created by various members over the years.

With that said, people are free to create new emoticons and suggest they be added. However, they need to conform to the style of all the existing emoticons.

#22 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

Can you now make a script section on the main page just like the tile sections and so on? That would be real neat!

#23 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE(aaa2 @ May 14 2012, 05:30 AM) View Post
Can you now make a script section on the main page just like the tile sections and so on? That would be real neat!
While this may or may not happen in the initial updates, it'll almost definitely happen. icon_wink.gif

#24 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ May 14 2012, 04:35 AM) View Post

While this may or may not happen in the initial updates, it'll almost definitely happen. icon_wink.gif

As soon as it happens maybe i will go through the tedious process of releasing scripts again...

#25 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

I think all that needs to be updated are the mechanics and the likes so there are more capabilities. But I don't want a different skin at all. I seen so many forums making a major overhaul and eventually ruining the whole thing, so don't make a sudden "major overhaul", please! At least ask us what we think of it. No point in making something costing hours and hours of your effort when nobody likes it, right?

On the bright side: it's real cool you guys want to do this for us. That's awesome, yo.

#26 Zefram

Zefram

Initiate

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

If you're going to be changing things up a lot visually, I'd like to see a classic skin.

#27 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

A note on the skin: Please realize that no matter what happens, we're almost certainly either switching to a new forum software or upgrading this one, which hasn't gotten a true update these ten years it's existed. The skin is going to have to change, by sheer fact that it's not going to be compatible with the new software, most likely. That said, the staff will most likely try to create a skin as similar to the existing one as possible, but really, that's about the last and the least important thing on the agenda.

#28 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ May 14 2012, 03:35 AM) View Post

Good to hear. I think this would be really valuable.

#29 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ May 14 2012, 12:33 PM) View Post

A note on the skin: Please realize that no matter what happens, we're almost certainly either switching to a new forum software or upgrading this one, which hasn't gotten a true update these ten years it's existed.

Sure it has back when I was still lurking the forums I believe they were Phpbb. I could be mistaken though. But I didn't register for a long time but I'm sure a senior citizen like ShadowTiger could correct me.

#30 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

If people are so worried about the skin, why not just have different options available to choose from? If they prefer it the old-fashioned way, just give a choice that's as close to it as possible. If not, then they can choose the new one you guys are planning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users