Photo

Screenshot of the Week 103

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 103 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 103

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:34 PM

IaN
user posted image

Lecayle
user posted image
Ahh, the rain. Don't forget an umbrella!!

Linkus Mastii
user posted image
Oh, another new tileset under work...and this is just the basics.

XdragonSB
user posted image
Why won't you die stupid professor?!?

ZC-Ninja
user posted image
To bad our hero cannot jump, and has to go around the 1 ft. high mountain hills.

#2 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:20 PM

OMG, Mine sucks compared to Ian, I am soo ganna lose!

#3 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:45 PM

Well, Ian = Good.

#4 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

Some splendid shots are here, but after all, I'm going to vote for ZC-Ninja. Some great custom tiles, and plenty of mood, which for me is the most important aspect of any shot. Linkus Mastii and IaN get a very honorable mention.

But really, everybody did a fine job. icon_biggrin.gif

#5 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:52 PM

sorry i was too late to enter
i said i would but i didnt finish on time...il just start early for the next one
and now the vote
Ian- i dont know wy i like this so much -votes-
Lecayle- i like LTTP quests,there should be more
Linkus Masti-i i like this but it looks a bit empty
XdragonSB- i wish i knew what was goin on here
ZC-Ninja-nice shot as usual keep up the good work

#6 .TakaM

.TakaM

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

1st: Ian- Im a sucker for MC graphics, a few nice mixes with lttp and its a nice area

2nd: ZCninja- nice custom tiles, good looking sprites and another nice area

3rd: Linkus Mastii- good custom work, some tiles are a little dull but still very good, and I always prefer ingame screens icon_razz.gif

4th: Lecayle- kind of generic with a few tiling errors, also I dont know if lightning is flashing or whatever but it looks a little too light for rain, have a look at some lttp screens that inspire you and are similar to your area, perhaps make the cliff cave over the entrance structure so it doesnt seem to go up and over the cliff wall and still appear flat - its just not right icon_razz.gif

5th: XdragonSB- the colours are too dark and dull, its a little on the difficult to see side and looks very grid-like, try using lighter colours and outlines on your sprites, also have a go at trying to mix up the floor with a few more slightly different tiles to break up the repetition

congrats Ian on winning my vote and hopefully this weeks comp

#7 ZeldaLord

ZeldaLord

Legendary Hero

• Members

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:49 AM

Ian - Good SCREEN DESIGN, which is what we're looking for here. icon_wink.gif

#8 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

Ian, have my babies. icon_smile.gif icon_naughty.gif

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:34 AM

IaN wins, hands down. This shot is awesome, but the trees look a little odd. I still love this shot though icon_smile.gif

Lecayle
A bland shot, and you messed up the Mountains... But I do commend you on your use of the AlttP rain, as it is kinda hard to work with.

Linkus Mastii
This set is kinda cool, but the tiles are a little too bright, and the don't have enough detail...

XDragonSB
This is a square, bland room. I would like to see what you have up your sleeve, but you should work on your room design a bit more icon_wink.gif

ZC-Ninja
I almost voted for this since it is all custom, but I liked IaN's better icon_razz.gif

Edited by Rex Zemenheart, 26 October 2005 - 11:34 AM.

#10 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:20 PM

I voted for IaN. Solid screen design, smart palette and excellent rips win it this week.
I think a strong palette is becoming more and more important with custom tile work, just as much as screen design.
  • Lecayle: In my experience, LttP graphics don't do very well in SotW. There's no inherent "zowie" to them, it's more about screen design. That's where this shot falls flat.
  • Linkus Mastii: This is a nice start, but the all-pastel palette in this shot offers no harsh or stand-outish elements, which always got to me in the original Secret of Mana. Looks too cutesy for my tastes.
  • ZC-Ninja: Not a bad shot, but not the best either. It's kind of dull... colorblind, if you will. And the JPEG artifacts aren't exactly helping. A little more variety in the decorations would boost the appeal of this scene.
  • XDragonSB: One thing I will miss about PolygonX8 is that he single-handedly pulled Metroid quests out of the pit of crappy novelty they had been languishing in. He even got a screenshot in EGM... that's quite a turnaround.
    This stupid, shoddy, clear-cut imitation tells me you're right on target to dash that progress against the rocks.

#11 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:43 PM

Null. I couldn't decide, they're all pretty nice.

#12 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

XdragonSB: Interesting tiles. They remind me of some Nintendo game, I don't recall which. The entire right half of the shot looks very basic. Perhaps more can be done to jazz up the room.

Linkus Mastii: I like the natural feel of this shot, but I get the feeling as if there could be more to it in some way. My uncertainty on it bugs me.

Lecayle: That is one superior grand entrance. I like the cliff as well. I am not sure about the perfect flatness of the top of the ledge, though. Adding more imperfection to the look can make it seem more natural.

ZC-Ninja: I really like the idea of the lava river and the barren features that surround this place of death. You make use of a good variety of colors without giving too much contrast for a setting that normally lacks the contrast (be glad you don't use Newfirst tiles!). If it wasn't for IaN's shot, this one would get my vote.

IaN: Simply amazing! Here is what makes your shot so great:
- A variety of trees with a variety of colors.
- For a natural kind of setting, it looks very natural.
- The walls, although not the main focus, still manage to get emphasized appropriately.
- The grass is well done to meet the needs of the rest of the shot.
- The entire shot looks great, not just parts of it.
My vote is yours, IaN!

#13 Lecayle

Lecayle

One bug, two bug, fix one, new bug. (Coder's humor)

• Members

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:54 PM

Well, this was only my first time even using the LTTP set. The actual screenshot was only intended as a joke, as LttP started in the rain and your PJ's. Link finally remembers his umbrella on this quest. sadly, though, i don't think I'm gonna follow through with the tileset just yet. I like it, but, for me it's too difficult to navigate....Descendant tiles however....*heh heh heh icon_superevil.gif *

This goes to IaN: icon_clap.gif Congrats on a SotW well done.

Hope to become a constant contestant, this was fun!! *under breath: they beat me once, but soon, I SHALL become SotW WINNER!!! icon_superevil.gif * Ideas Ideas Ideas!!!

#14 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:02 PM

Um... Just to make it clear, almost nothing is actually custom in that shot... The lava is from Raiden of course, and the Moutians are from a great game called Mystic Quest (SuperNes). The only thing thats custom is the lava beasts and the hero. Im wondering if it was a bad idea to use the Lttp set for my quest, for some reason it seems to be becoming incrediably popular... (danm) Good job Ian ^^

#15 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:36 AM

ZC-Ninja gets my vote! ^_^ Way to go man. IaN was next in line. icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users