Photo

Word wrap in FAQs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Word wrap poll

Do you prefer to have line breaks pre-inserted into any FAQ you read?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

Is it more convenient when a TXT file has pre-determined line breaks, or is it less messy for you if I just leave word wrap up to your default text-viewing program?

I'm trying to decide whether to bother inserting line breaks into my most recent quest FAQ. If nobody really cares about it, I'd prefer to just release it without line breaks and leave it up to the player's client's word wrap feature.

#2 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

Oh yeah, line breaks are a must. If your FAQ is poorly formatted I'll chop it to pieces and mail it back to you in seperate packages. icon_superevil.gif

(Ya' see, it's funny 'cause text documents aren't physical matter. Get it? GET IT??? icon_deformed.gif )

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

^ icon_deformed.gif

I'm with SD on this one. I prefer to not have to scroll horizontally past a bunch of text in order to read a FAQ. Line breaks are very convenient. Which is why I have a bit of a problem with ZQuest's .txt tutorial. icon_unsettled.gif
QUOTE(Radien)

I'm trying to decide whether to bother inserting line breaks into my most recent quest FAQ.

Ooh, does this mean DoR's far in progress? icon_deformed.gif

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jun 5 2007, 06:43 PM) View Post
Oh yeah, line breaks are a must. If your FAQ is poorly formatted I'll chop it to pieces and mail it back to you in seperate packages. icon_superevil.gif

"Poorly formatted" is subjective. Personally, I think it's positively primitive to have to change the line breaks whenever I want to edit my own faq. icon_disgust.gif

Geez, 3 votes for line breaks already? What exactly are all of you using to read text files? icon_razz.gif I'm guessing a web browser. In which case, I should remind you that this FAQ is going to be stored in a zip file, so if you use a word processor like Word/Wordpad/Notepad as your default viewer, rather than a browser like Firefox/IE, you won't have to deal with horizontal scrollbars when reading TXT files stored on your hard drive.

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jun 5 2007, 06:47 PM) View Post
Ooh, does this mean DoR's far in progress? icon_deformed.gif

Uh, no, this is for the Master Quest remake. I doubt I'll start writing an FAQ for DoR until after DoR has been finished and released...

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

Wow... I feel like I'm the only voice of opposition....

Anyway, don't ya'll have notepad? It's standard with Windows PCs.... you can enable word wrap on it, so no messy viewing, right? icon_shrug.gif

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jun 5 2007, 08:45 PM) View Post

Wow... I feel like I'm the only voice of opposition....

Anyway, don't ya'll have notepad? It's standard with Windows PCs.... you can enable word wrap on it, so no messy viewing, right? icon_shrug.gif

Yeah, I'm probably going to do it anyway, though. But just once... I can't find any programs on my computer that do auto-line-breaks anymore, so I'm having to resort to emailing it to my Google account (it adds in line breaks when you display it in-browser).

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 5 2007, 10:34 PM) View Post

Geez, 3 votes for line breaks already? What exactly are all of you using to read text files?

Uh, the text document viewer... icon_deformed.gif
QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 5 2007, 10:34 PM) View Post

Uh, no, this is for the Master Quest remake. I doubt I'll start writing an FAQ for DoR until after DoR has been finished and released...

K. Good luck on the MQ remake, then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users