Music We Haven't Heard Before

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick

Patrick

Initiate

• Members

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:27 AM

This thread is for music you think most people haven't heard before. Whether it be an upcoming artist, a local band you've seen in your area, or just about anything you think we haven't heard. It doesn't matter if the artist is popular or not, so long as it isn't a song we have all heard a million times before.

Post from as many genres as you want. Electronic, Alternative, Reggae, Rock, Hip-hop, Country... anything that sounds awesome or original.

Rules
1. In order to keep this thread from becoming unfollowable, don't just post song names. It goes without saying that it's pretty much useless, as no one will even bother to look it up themselves (and why would they... ?). Always post a link, embed a video or do something to provide a way for everyone to listen to the song.

2. Chatting about the music is fine in this thread, but if you're someone who is just trying to raise their post count by saying something about every song that is posted, then it does get a bit annoying. POST SOME MUSIC EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. Even if you're posting one song for every three posts you make in this thread, it's a better contribution than nothing at all.

3. Respect the artists that made the song. For any song that's posted, include the name of the song (or songs) and the name of the artist. If it's a song mix, you only have to post the mixers name.

4. Songs we've heard a million times before: this isn't too strict of a rule, but keep it good. It's fine if the song is popular within the genre, so long as people who don't listen to the genre wouldn't know too much about it. Or if it's a version of the song that is changed up.

5. No dissing peoples tastes. For every song you don't like, there'll be someone else who thinks it's pretty awesome.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start out with a couple examples to get the thread going:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IPB Image

Artist: Love and Light

Eleanor Rigby Dubstep Mix

Pretty sick song. Wish it was a bit longer.

-------------------------------
IPB Image

Artist: Aloe Blacc

I Need A Dollar

First heard this song in a mix, and it was awesome. Have never been able to find the mix after that. This live version is way better though.

--------------------------------
IPB Image

Artist: Stevie Wonder

Very Superstitious Sesame Street Version

This is pretty much what I meant by different versions of a song we have heard. Obviously, everyone's heard this song, but this is a totally different version that not everyone has heard.

Edited by PatrickKnight, 11 November 2010 - 04:34 AM.

#2 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

Indigo League
New, awesome rock band. Aren't signed yet.
Vicodin
Asylum

Enter Shikari
IPB Image
Not quite sure what genre these guys are, but anyway, they're eargasmic.
The Juggernauts

Equilibrium
IPB Image
Super awesomotastic German folk metal band.
Blut Im Auge
Mana Pt 1
Mana Pt 2

#3 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

It's weird to see someone else who has heard of Equilibrium icon_heh.gif

As for myself, I absolutely love Ska. I mean, most people who know me very well, will know this about me.

Big D and the Kids Table
We Can Live Anywhere!
Been Wishing On
Down Around Here

I leave it at that before I'm practically shoving their music down your throat. But Big D and the Kids Table is the primary reason I love Ska, as they're the first Ska band I heard. I'm a bigger fan of their easy-listening stuff, rather than their crazy intense songs that, say, use the 'F' word 24 or so times.

Now, for something completely different.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Rocket Man
Come Sail Away

Yeah, they're a punk cover band. Not the greatest band I've ever heard, but probably the best cover band I've ever heard.

#4 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Journey Most people who have heard of Journey normally just know about "Don't Stop Believing". Well I grew up on them, so I figured I would show people what they really are all about.
Why Can't This Night Go On Forever
Mother, Father
La Do Da & Patiently

Dream Theater These guys are like no other musicians. Some of the best most technical progressive rock here, check it out.
Octavarium
Dance of Eternity

#5 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Nov 11 2010, 02:21 PM) View Post

I was seriously reading this thread and thinking "I should post some Big D" but whadd'ya know somebody already did~
ska icon_thumbsup.gif

QUOTE(Molten Onyx @ Nov 11 2010, 12:33 PM) View Post

Enter Shikari
Not quite sure what genre these guys are, but anyway, they're eargasmic.
The Juggernauts

They're like post-hardcore / electronica for the most part.
Might I add that No Sssweat and The Feast are some other damn good songs by them.

Anyways,

The Aquabats!

Super Rad!
Ska Robot Army!

The Aquabats! are this awesome ska (and pop-punk nowadays) band currently consisted of MC Bat Commander, Crash McLarson, Jimmy the Robot, Ricky Fitness, and Eagle "Bones" Falconhawk.
They pretend to be superheroes and make some great music.

They also have a tv cartoon pilot and MC Bat Commander co-created Yo Gabba Gabba!.

Bassnectar

Verbing the Noun
Bass Head

Bassnectar's this dubsteppilicious dubstep guy out of California who makes dubstep. Yeah it's just one guy.
And that's pretty much all I know about him.

Public Image Ltd.

Albatross
Religion II

Public Image Ltd. is this post-punk band formed by John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten aka "that guy who sings in Sex Pistols"), Keith Levene, and Jah Wobble after the breakup of the Sex Pistols. Their first two albums, First Issue and Metal Box, are arguably some of the greatest albums of all time, while everything after that arguably isn't so great at all. Some people actually credit these guys for inventing post-rock, which they very may well have, I just haven't looked into it that much. Also the bass. oh god the bass

and I'll post more later or something but christ this post is long enough already

#6 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

LCD Soundsystem

LCD Soundsystem is the side project of James Murphy. He does Dance-punk songs. He also happens to be really good.

All My Friends

The Specials

A ska band. Ska is good. Listen to ska.

Free Nelson Mandela

Also Public Image LTD.
god yes

#7 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(Ironfist @ Nov 11 2010, 09:07 PM) View Post

The Specials

Ghost Town
Little b****

those are good too!

#8 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

oddSprite
He used to make music of a sort of electronic genre; not really sure what I'd call it. I think he's stopped making music though.
Home Page
Child of Technology
Cyber War - Heart of Steel

The Megas
They make rock covers of songs from the Mega Man games. They do an utterly fantastic job of it too, adding their own lyrics to songs. A personal favorite of mine is "Man on Fire" (Heatman). I dunno if they'd count for this thread though, cause technically, the music is still from a franchise that everybody knows about. :/
Home Page
Man on Fire

Delia Derbyshire
She made electronic music for the BBC with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop in the 60s. While she is very well-known to many people for realizing the Doctor Who theme in 1963, most people have never heard any of her other music.
Doctor Who theme
Ziwzih Ziwzih OO-OO-OO
Frontier to Knowledge

Kurrel the Raven
Obligatory reference to the furry fandom. :V He makes furry-themed music, and used to make ambient, electronic music.
Kwinkunx (Album)
Starglider
The Furry Song 2001
The Fursuit Horror
The Human Tail

Edited by Beta Link, 15 November 2010 - 01:54 AM.

#9 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(Lithium @ Nov 12 2010, 09:20 AM) View Post

Public Image Ltd.

Albatross
Religion II

Public Image Ltd. is this post-punk band formed by John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten aka "that guy who sings in Sex Pistols"), Keith Levene, and Jah Wobble after the breakup of the Sex Pistols. Their first two albums, First Issue and Metal Box, are arguably some of the greatest albums of all time, while everything after that arguably isn't so great at all. Some people actually credit these guys for inventing post-rock, which they very may well have, I just haven't looked into it that much. Also the bass. oh god the bass

and I'll post more later or something but christ this post is long enough already

You and Ironfist only got into them because I kept telling you to get into them. icon_frown.gif

Anyway, super-dooper diverse music time. I got most of these bands via recommendations from last.fm, which is something it's incredibly handy for ~

The Jesus and Mary Chain
Scottish noise-rock band that pretty much changed music in 1985 or something.

Just Like Honey
Reverence

Asobi Seksu
New York-based shoegaze/dream pop band with a Japanese lead singer. Reminds me of the first wave of shoegaze (a la Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive and Catherine Wheel, among others).

Red Sea
Thursday

Amusement Parks on Fire
British shoegazers (stargazers even, as they apparently refer to their sound of music as). I dunno, they're more like a hybrid of shoegaze, post-rock and just alternative rock on a whole, really.

Flashlight Planetarium
Echo Park \\ Infinite Delay

The Black Angels
American neo-psychedelia group that draws a lot of influence from the Velvet Underground. I was watching a Charles Manson documentary tonight that used their music in it. Really freakishly trippy stuff, really.

Never/Ever
The First Vietnamese War

Hope of the States
Post-rock influenced indie band from the UK that broke up after two albums.

The Black Amnesias
Black Dollar Bills

A Place to Bury Strangers
American noise power trio, who have been "lauded as New York's loudest band".

To Fix The Gash In Your Head
The Falling Sun

Also, I don't want to self-promote or anything, but...

Tokyo Gore Police
My band. I recorded the debut album this year entirely by myself as a project for school (which I achieved top marks for).

Facebook page
Download "Television Nation"

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

Australian Metal

Alpine Fault
New Zealand/Australian metal band with electric violin and classical vocals. These guys are just starting out and are based in Brisbane where I live. I've seen them live a number of times and I love them to bits.
MySpace page (not the best recordings, but give you some idea)

LORD
Another Australian metal band who are playing a gig here with Alpine Fault in a few weeks (can't wait). Very similar to Iron Maiden but with more intense guitar solos.
On a Night Like This (Kylie Minogue cover) (IF YOU WATCH NOTHING ELSE FROM THIS LIST, WATCH THIS! SO FUNNY!)

European Gothic/Symphonic/Progressive Metal

Edenbridge
Austrian symphonic metal. Mostly "happy" feel.
Fallen From Grace
Centennial Legend (awesome power ballad)
October Sky
On Top Of The World (this one is sickly sweet icon_razz.gif )

Epica
Dutch symphonic metal. More technical and heavier than Edenbridge.
Martyr of the Free Word (sweet drumming)
Feint (accoustic) (Simone is ridiculously hot)

Leaves' Eyes
Norwegian band. They sing about Vikings and stuff.
Ocean's Way
Take The Devil in Me

Tarja Turunen
Finnish siren, former vocalist for Nightwish before she was kicked out. Her following solo career has actually been pretty good though.
Ciaran's Well (don't let the intro startle you icon_razz.gif )
Falling Awake (feat. Joe Satriani) (not the best song off the album, but you gotta love Joe Satriani. Worth listening just for his solo)

Forever Slave
Spanish symphonic-gothic band with practically unintelligible vocals. Their first album, Alice's Inferno was a concept album based on Alice in Wonderland and Dante's Inferno, and has a radically different feel to their later album Tales For Bad Girls which took on a more straight heavy metal sound and did away with most of the gothic tone from Alice's Inferno.
Across The Mirror (from Alice)
GothiX Girls (from Tales. Hear the difference)

EDIT: Had to add this song
Apocalyptica
Finnish cello quartet that play a lot of awesome metal covers, plus some kickass originals too.
Nothing Else Matters (Metallica cover)

Similar bands:
Nightwish
Delain
Symphony X
After Forever
Within Temptation

Power Metal

Avantasia
Moving away from the gothic stuff now. Side project by German power metal band Edguy's front man Tobias Sammet, featuring many other great metal musicians. Mostly progressive/power stuff, and all awesome.
The Final Sacrifice (Tobias doing his best Bruce Dickinson impression... and nailing it)
The Toy Master (feat. Alice Cooper)
Cry Just a Little (I'm a sucker for power ballads)

Sonata Arctica
Finnish power metal-turned-homosexual metal (their last two albums have been terrible but their first four are amazing). I saw them live last year and they were terrible. Still love 'em though.
Abandoned, Pleased, Brainwashed, Exploited
San Sebastian (revisited) (nice guitar/keyboard solo)
Mary Lou (I dig the bouncy beat)

Heavenly
French power metal. Très bien! Virus is an amazing album, but I couldn't really get into their other stuff.
The Dark Memories
Wasted Time
The Jorker

Powerglove
American power metal band that covers retro video game themes (and Saturday morning cartoons on their latest album)
Mario Minor

DragonForce
English band who shot into the public eye after Through The Fire And Flames was charted for Guitar Hero III. They play hard and fast with pretty much every song featuring a 2-4 minute face-melting twin solo, but they're a pretty terrible band whose songs sound exactly the same. That said, Inhuman Rampage is their one album that's somewhat listenable, with a few good songs like Cry For Eternity, Through The Fire And Flames, and - since this is a "music we haven't heard before" thread, the bonus track:
Souls Lost in Endless Time (my third favourite on the album)

Similar bands:
Edguy
Kamelot
Angra
Stratovarius
Rhapsody

Electro-Pop

Ladytron
One of my favourite electro-pop groups. Based in England.
Destroy Everything You Touch (probably my favourite song of their's)
Burning Up (from their latest (and greatest) album, Velocifero)
Tomorrow (not terribly electro, but a catchy pop tune regardless)

Goldfrapp
These guys are fairly well known, but I'll post them anyway.
Ooh La La (you can't beat a disco ball horse)

Yoko Ono
Yes, THE Yoko Ono. This is a recent remix of one of her old songs, and I love it.
Everyman Everywoman (Blow-Up remix)

Similar bands
Daft Punk. You won't need to listen to anything else... except LCD Sound System's Daft Punk is Playing at My House. Amazing song.

Synthrock/Industrial

The Birthday Massacre
Canadian gothic-influenced synthrock band... just amazing.
Blue (amazing song... amazing video...)
Walking With Strangers

I:Scintilla
American post-industrial. I'm kinda meh about them nowadays.
Scin (forgive the horrible Sonic AMV)

EDIT 2:
Since I posted a few covers, I might add a "covers" section, just for fun icon_razz.gif Some are good, others not-so-good. You be the judge.

LORD: On a Night Like This (Kylie Minogue cover)
Tarja: Poison (Alice Cooper cover)
Tarja: Still of the Night (Whitesnake cover)
Epica: Memory (from the musical Cats) (mmm... Simone <3 )
Darkwell: Don't You Forget About Me (Simple Minds cover) (from The Breakfast Club)
Children of Bodom: Oops! I Did it Again (Britney Spears cover) (not as good as LORD's Kylie cover)
Children of Bodom: Rebel Yell (Billy Idol cover)
In This Moment: Call Me (Blondie cover) (I love this just as much as the original)
In This Moment: Postmortem (Slayer cover)

QUOTE(trucky5 @ Nov 11 2010, 02:52 PM) View Post
Dream Theater These guys are like no other musicians. Some of the best most technical progressive rock here, check it out.

It's a shame they have such a crappy vocalist. I've only heard Octavarium (the album) and bits and pieces from other albums, but Root of All Evil and... damnit what's track five called... Panic Attack. They're my favourite songs from them. Their lead guitarist has joined Avenged Sevenfold now hasn't he?

Edited by NoeL, 14 November 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#11 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

IPB ImageIPB Image

Neutral Milk Hotel

Hands-down my favorite band, Neutral Milk Hotel is an indie rock band (and one of the original bands of the Elephant 6 Collective) that draws influences from noise, punk, and psychedelic rock and European folk music. Frontman Jeff Mangum has a singing style that most (including myself) would probably consider an acquired taste, but listening to him makes me so happy and sad and in love with nothing in particular. The heavy drumming style and noisy horns are wonderful too, and Julian Koster always had something awesome up his sleeve to give the songs a very unique feeling. I would say Mangum's nostalgic, extremely metaphorical lyrics are the best quality of the band though:

1. Holland, 1945
2. Two-Headed Boy - I linked to a live version to show off his beautiful expressions.
3. Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone
4. Two-Headed Boy Part 2. - Almost made me cry the first time I heard it.
5. Oh Comely

IPB ImageIPB Image

Tobacco

Tom Fec/Tobacco is a lo-fi psychedelic musician, also the frontman of the band Black Moth Super Rainbow. His music transfers my mind to various dimensions where it is licked by proboscis monkeys:

1. Dirt - A collaboration with indie rapper Aesop Rock. This is pretty much the most mind-bending hip-hop song ever.
2. New Juices From The Hot Tub Freaks
3. Sweatmother
4. Street Trash
5. Gross Magik

IPB ImageIPB Image

She & Him

I'm sure everybody here already knows who Zooey Deschannel is, though I'm not sure of many people who have heard of She & Him. This lo-fi pop/folk/country collaboration between her and M. Ward is terrific:

1. You Really Got A Hold On Me - A cover of The Miracles. Better than the original and The Beatles' and The Zombies' covers in my opinion.
2. Over It Over Again
3. Thieves
4. Sentimental Heart
5. Black Hole

IPB ImageIPB Image

45 Grave

45 Grave is a punk rock band that was headed by Dinah Cancer, and one of the pioneers of death and goth rock music. A very raw, very awesome band:

1. Partytime - This is the "zombie" version which appeared on Return Of The Living Dead. The album version from Sleep In Safety has more interesting lyrics, in my opinion, but I can't find it.
2. Surf Bat
3. Wax
4. Riboflavin-Flavored, Non-Carbinated, Polyunsaturated Blood
5. Violent World

IPB ImageIPB Image

Dr. Octagon

One of Kool Kieth's many personas, Dr. Octagon is one of the best hip-hop projects I've ever listened to. Seriously some really wacky-ass lyrics and beats, years ahead of his time even in the underground:

1. Earth People
2. Real Raw
3. Technical Difficulties
4. I'm Destructive
5. No Awareness

...and many, many more on my last.fm charts.

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 14 November 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#12 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

Gojira
IPB Image
Metal. And the closest to a hippy metal band you'll ever get.
Vacuity (Music Video Contains some gore)
Flying Whales

#13 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ Nov 14 2010, 07:41 AM) View Post

You and Ironfist only got into them because I kept telling you to get into them. icon_frown.gif

you told me to get them once
and I did

anyway I just recently discovered this

99 Problems by Hugo

It is surprisingly one of the best things I have heard in quite some time, other than your stuff Taco <3

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

If you've never heard of Alestorm or heard their music, I suggest them right now. They're a folk metal band specializing in the pirate genre, and some of their stuff is quite fantastic. Some of my personal favorites of theirs:

Leviathan
That Famous Ol' Spiced
Captain Morgan's Revenge
Wenches & Mead
Wolves of the Sea (turns out is a cover of the crappiest song of all time; listen at your own peril)

Yeah, they've become a favorite of mine recently. I blame Naldrag; he showed me a vid of one of their songs, got addicted to that for a bit, got their albums, then found out that the song Naldrag showed me is actually not even one of their good songs. icon_heh.gif

#15 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(Lithium @ Nov 11 2010, 06:50 PM) View Post

I was seriously reading this thread and thinking "I should post some Big D" but whadd'ya know somebody already did~
ska icon_thumbsup.gif

You should probably post some of their older stuff- I pretty much won't, because I really don't like anything from before Strictly Rude, and Fluent in Stroll is way better than Strictly Rude. I guess it really gets down to the fact that I feel like they're enjoying their new genre rather than sticking with the clichéd Ska-Punk style where they're a bunch of angry drunken kids. Originality is a plus, too.

Also, I have a faint feeling that no one is going to listen to anybody else's music unless they know what it is... not trying to be a downer, just trying to use logic here. I don't know a single person who goes out and listens to another band based on someone's recommendation. And that includes me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users