Photo

Ranking the Rainbow Roads

Mario Kart

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Now that I've finally gotten up to speed on the entire Mario Kart series, I wanted to do a sort of ranking of them all, but instead of ranking the games, I figured I'd rank something else: The Rainbow Roads in the games.

Rainbow Road has been a staple of the Mario Kart series since the very beginning, and the game has always ended in a Rainbow Road, apart from when Retro Grand Prix first came about, but starting with Mario Kart 7, even the Retro Grand Prix ended in a classic Rainbow Road. Always set in the stars and often with a beautiful song to accompany it, Rainbow Road is a delightful final trip to close out the Grand Prix.

But how do they compare against each other? Well, I intend to find out. I have played each iteration of Rainbow Road multiple times in a row to get a good gauge on each, weigh their pros and cons, and list them here. Retro Grand Prix iterations will be left out of the official list. Important factors will be atmosphere, difficulty, and enjoyment, among other intangible factors, and remember that this is an opinion-based piece, so if you end up disagreeing, well, that's why. And now, without further adieu— when did I turn French? Er, without further ado...

8. Super Mario Kart - This is the original, the progenitor, the beginner of the tradition. Unfortunately it, just like the game it was introduced in, did not hold up very well. It had some neat atmosphere, such as the road texture and the fact that the Thwomps remain stationary in midair until the first lap is over, but it also had kind of an empty and uninteresting background, and no real unique or interesting course design otherwise. It's a little more fun to play in Mario Kart 7, especially since its controls aren't garbage, but this one doesn't really stand up well to its successors.

7. Mario Kart Wii - This one had a nice sense of height and depth that was lacking since Double Dash, and I'll get to that later, and it had a lot of nice atmosphere and background items. It had some fun jump parts, like a disconnected part of the road you could trick between off a short ramp. Unfortunately, some parts of the level felt a bit cheap if you're not a skilled player or can't see them coming, and even I had a little trouble on a part or two. It's also a bit uninspired compared to the previous Rainbow Roads, and just kind of feels like a rehash at this point, too similar to past Rainbow Roads.

6. Mario Kart 8 - The idea to take Rainbow Road and combine it with a space station setup is a fantastic one, and I love it. It's a fairly fun track, with an amazing atmosphere; the background is so active and alive and it makes it really immersive. Unfortunately, that only serves to distract you from the fact that the track itself isn't all that inspired. Is it fun? Yes. Is it completely unique? Eh. It has a nice branching pathway mechanic, admittedly used before in Mario Kart Wii, but the paths in those were much shorter. Otherwise, this one, while yes, a fun track, just didn't really add much to the lore of Rainbow Road, and the technological feel of the road itself kind of takes away from the charm of the idea of "Rainbow Road."

5. Mario Kart 64 - Some of you are probably surprised I put this so low, especially since I've said many times elsewhere that this is my favorite. Well, favorite is not the same as best. I must admit the datedness of this one, even though I still quite enjoy it. It has a pretty environment and relaxing mood, it almost feels like the course itself is congratulating you as you drive through and see the portraits of characters and items in the sky. There's also the skip that you can pull off, letting you skip half the track, that's so satisfying to accomplish, and the chomps can be fun if there's enough chaos going on. Let's not forget that it also has some of the best music ever made. But it is a bit on the lengthy side, which can be either a good or bad thing depending on your standpoint, and the fact that the entire course is railed removes the challenge from it. It also doesn't have much to offer in the way of course variety either, I must admit. So while I quite enjoy it, I totally see why others don't.

4. Mario Kart: Super Circuit - You're probably thinking "What's this track from this garbage game doing so high up?" Well, I'll tell you: The game sucks, yes, but this course is honestly damn fun. It boasts a great atmosphere with a gorgeous backdrop and mood, with stars occasionally falling on the track. The course itself has a pretty look, and the jump pad walls open up a lot of opportunity for fun, skill, or chaos, which was a pretty unique gimmick. Same with the lightning clouds that could strike you if you were unlucky. Honestly I can't think of a single downside, other than that the music was kind of lackluster, even if it started with a brief remix of the SNES track. Well, the fact that it's on a game with terrible controls might be a downside, but I can't fault the course for that, so it's staying up here.

3. Mario Kart 7 - Back when I wasn't sure I would be owning Mario Kart 7 anytime soon, I watched a video of this Rainbow Road, my consensus being that the second lap looked awesome while the first and third laps looked boring. After playing it, I can safely say that I was wrong. ... only the first lap was boring. But what we got here was the freshest Rainbow Road since Double Dash. It started off as a typical sort of Rainbow Road, then screwed with our expectations by taking us to a planetary ring, then to the surface of a moon. This was a nice and awesome change up, with a fun little last section before the end. It also boasts a beautiful remix of the Nintendo 64 theme, which complements it wonderfully, and even changes tune a little when you land on the surface of the moon. It's a very enchanting track that'll blow away anyone's expectations. Er, if you're playing it blind anyway.

2. Mario Kart DS - Now this one was a surprise, but so was the game. I didn't honestly expect too much out of Mario Kart DS, but it holds up as a pretty solid Mario Kart game, with a surprisingly fun Rainbow Road. Now it doesn't vary too much from the norm, admittedly, but it has a calming starry background with a generally enjoyable course layout, even if a part or two feels recycled from Double Dash. It has its own unique twists tough, such as a loop and a twisted section that take you into antigravity briefly; predecessor to Mario Kart 8 perhaps? There's a few rings in the course that play a little chime when you drive through them that I thought was a neat touch as well, and overall this course is just a lot of fun. If there's any drawback, it's that the music is quite forgettable, but that's about it.

1. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - I was honestly originally expecting to put the DS entry here at number one, but in the end I couldn't. Mostly because it borrowed too much from this one, as did Mario Kart Wii's. The atmosphere is great, the objects lend well to the visuals, and the city below is just breathtaking to look at. The surface of the road itself is magical. There's just so much charm to this course, and the remix of the Mario Kart 64 track is lovely as well, fitting in perfectly with the mood of the course. It's a blast, there's not a single con I can think of for this one. It is, quite simply, the best Rainbow Road out of them all.

And that's my carefully thought-out list. What do you guys think, agree? Disagree? Think I'm nuts? Let me know what you think? And for a fun little extra, here's a simplified list of the best-to-worst course themes for each as well:

1. Mario Kart 64

2. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

3. Mario Kart 7

4. Super Mario Kart

5. Mario Kart 8

6. Mario Kart: Super Circuit

7. Mario Kart DS

8. Mario Kart Wii

• Evan20000 likes this

#2 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

I always felt Double Dash was the weakest of the series. The tracks just don't feel that creative for me, but it's still a good game.

Super Mario Kart is way too low, but it's clear you don't like the 2D games much. The controls aren't bad, and Super Circuit is a fine game, but it's a different style of game that is a bit more technical than the 3D games, which are more accessible. The 2D games actually require you to brake occasionally.

P.S. favorite Rainbow Road is Super Circuit's followed by 64. 64's is an oddball because it's so long and has rails all the way through. This can make for a good race if the players are all competent, otherwise the deltas become huge.

I guess I should say what my favorite track is as well, and that would be N64 Bowser's Castle followed very closely by Royal Raceway.

Edited by anikom15, 06 July 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

I always felt Double Dash was the weakest of the series. The tracks just don't feel that creative for me, but it's still a good game.

I feel the same way for the most part, the last few tracks were the only ones that stood out to me.

#4 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

I guess I should explain why I like N64 Bowser's Castle and Royal Raceway.

The former because it's so ridiculous. It's in a castle and is filled with right angle turns. It's pretty lulz and feels fun to drive through.

The latter because it feels very much like a real driving course (besides the jump of course) and the atmosphere is nice. It's a smooth course with a few technical turns, so it's not as twisty as Mario Circuit.

#5 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

It's really hard for me to decide which Rainbow Roads are more fun than others... In many cases, my enjoyment of the course is based on my enjoyment of the game in general. But if I have to rank them (of the ones I've played), I'd give this list.

5. Super Mario Kart - The stage is brutally difficult, but the trippy, bumpin' music is great accompaniment. This stage was only in the game to give people something to love to hate.

4. Mario Kart Wii - I've only played this one a few times on a friend's console, so I don't remember much about it, but I think it was relatively fun. Clearly, it wasn't that memorable for me, though.

3. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - This track would be higher up if not for that one long, banked turn that wreaked havoc with the controls. The remixed music is possibly the best Rainbow Road songs out there.

2. Mario Kart 64 - I agree with anikom's statement that the walls throughout lead to rather predictable races. I also despise the chain chomps that are nigh impossible to see coming until it's too late. The atmosphere and music are nice, though. All said, the nostalgia factor is too much for me to overlook. I grew up with this game.

1. Mario Kart 8 - I know I'm in the minority, but I really like this course. It has some wicked turns that force you to defy death Lakitu as you drift around them in a frantic push for first. The section with the rotating platforms is a little clunky and elsewhere, it's hard to get back into a drift state after your heavy character gets hit (mushrooms won't help), but all in all, I find this course to be a blast.

#6 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

I honestly thought that DS would be the Rainbow Road they would bring back in 8, since it already has 2 anti-gravity loops and the jump in the middle could probably be turned into a glider ramp.  Also, I'd love to hear an orchestral remix of the DS version's music (I didn't think it was forgettable at all).

I was also disappointed by 8's.  I was expecting it to have multiple segments, like in 7, but instead it feels more like they reskinned a space track that was initially scrapped.  In my opinion, though, it probably has some of the best music out of any of them.

I haven't played Double Dash or Super Circuit, so I might be missing out on something really good, but these are my current opinions.

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

I personally liked 7's Rainbow Road the best because of its variety. The next Rainbow Road I would love to see remade is the DS version. IMO, this is the Rainbow Road that should have been remade for Mario Kart 8. The remade N64 Rainbow Road feels like an inferior version of MKWii's Rainbow Road.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

To be inferior to the Mario Kart Wii course would mean it would have to be a boring and forgettable course and good sir, the remake of the N64 Rainbow Road is not. I actually would have put it at #1 if I was including remakes, single lap notwithstanding, which is still a boneheaded mistake. It's an impressive and fun remake with a bit more challenge thanks to the removal of a good amount of the railing, it's pretty, and also that remix is incredibly gorgeous. Of course I'm judging the course itself, not the fact that there's only one lap. Damn it Nintendo...

As far as which course should've been remade, well, if they're going in order of release, that means the next one will be Super Circuit's. And you know what? I'm okay with this. In fact I yearn for this. I would love to see this track updated, but keeping it mostly intact and being able to actually drive on it, unlike with Super Circuit's horrid controls. So consider me excited for the next Mario Kart game already if this is the case.

• Moonbread likes this

#9 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

To be inferior to the Mario Kart Wii course would mean it would have to be a boring and forgettable course and good sir, the remake of the N64 Rainbow Road is not. I actually would have put it at #1 if I was including remakes, single lap notwithstanding, which is still a boneheaded mistake. It's an impressive and fun remake with a bit more challenge thanks to the removal of a good amount of the railing, it's pretty, and also that remix is incredibly gorgeous. Of course I'm judging the course itself, not the fact that there's only one lap. Damn it Nintendo...

Why is Scootaloo liking any comment disagreeing with my opinions? :P

While it's true that the 8 remake of the 64 Rainbow Road looks and sounds amazing, I just didn't find the gameplay of the course to be any better than the Wii version. It was more of a been there, done that experience for me. Other than the giant chain chomp,there wasn't anything different about it that makes it any special.

Edited by Dawnlight, 07 July 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Um... it's a remake of a track many people (if not most) have already played, and actually isn't much different at all from its old layout besides new mechanics, why wouldn't it be a "been there, done that" experience? :eyebrow:

#11 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

The best Rainbow Road is F-Zero X's.

F-Zero GX also had a Rainbow Road of sorts called Slim Line Slits. It's a hellish course that is far more difficult than any race course from any racing game that I've ever played.
  • nicklegends likes this

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Um... it's a remake of a track many people (if not most) have already played, and actually isn't much different at all from its old layout besides new mechanics, why wouldn't it be a "been there, done that" experience? :eyebrow:

It doesn't feel like a new experience. I don't know how to elaborate that even more. :shrug:

/inb4 TS says I'm being too picky :lol:

Edited by Dawnlight, 07 July 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

I just don't honestly know what exactly you're expecting from a retro track, that's all. Up until 8, they've never had any "drastic" changes to them, and even then some of them were still either identical (Music Park) or didn't have any changes besides maybe an anti-gravity section for the sake of exploiting the gimmick (DK Jungle, GBA Mario Circuit). :shrug:

#14 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

I just don't honestly know what exactly you're expecting from a retro track, that's all. Up until 8, they've never had any "drastic" changes to them, and even then some of them were still either identical (Music Park) or didn't have any changes besides maybe an anti-gravity section for the sake of exploiting the gimmick (DK Jungle, GBA Mario Circuit). :shrug:

I guess I don't seem to like N64's Rainbow Road that much and the new additions that they added didn't make it any better for me.

• The Satellite likes this

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

This would've gone much easier if you'd said that from the beginning. :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mario Kart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users