Photo

Does this shot look empty to you?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:24 PM

IPB Image

Sorry, it's a jpg. I forgot to convert to gif before uploading (photobucket changes it automatically), and I'm too lazy to go fix it. icon_razz.gif

Anyways, this is in Link's home village, Lambondin Village, and its purpose is a kind of a shrine to the legendary Hero. (DUH, HERO, DUH, OVERUSED, DUH, I'M USING IT ANYWAY icon_razz.gif ) However, I think I'm lacking something... just something... in the top, between those two trees. I also considered layering the ALttP tree shadows on the screen, but it didn't look right.

Any suggestions to fill up the spot? icon_shrug.gif (DoR set, btw)

#2 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Well, maybe not use the ALTTP treetp shades for the WHOLE screen, but maybe for the top part of it (the top unwalkable half)

Also, if feasible, try adding some small animals or something.... a bird in teh trees, a squirrel, a rabid cracktorock icon_razz.gif

#3 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:53 AM

I agree with Majora. Make some custom sprites of like a bird or even the cow from the DoR tileset and put them up there.

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

It's very square at the top, if you made the unwalkable border thing less square it would look better

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

I actually had a thought to get rid of both of the Link statues, put one up at the top, and put some kind of ruined structure around the Triforce. Personally, a cow would kill the shot. icon_razz.gif However, some birds wouldn't hurt. Hmm...

QUOTE(Joe123)

It's very square at the top, if you made the unwalkable border thing less square it would look better

If I do the above, then taking away the squareness to add more room for a kind of structure wouldn't hurt, either. icon_shrug.gif
QUOTE(Majora's Wrath)

Well, maybe not use the ALTTP treetp shades for the WHOLE screen, but maybe for the top part of it (the top unwalkable half)

Well, see, it's an old structure, an old shrine...

Heh, this is supposed to be a shrine, yet it doesn't look it. icon_heh.gif Not yet, anyways.

The other thing is, there is a small woody portion beside the village, that leads to the shrine. In other woods, these will be in Lambondin Village's woods. So, I think that the ALttP shadow in the top half... just might work... But, I don't think it will blend well. I'll try it, though.

EDIT: New fix:
IPB Image
But I think there's some clashing, here. Maybe move those two small trees up two squares? icon_shrug.gif Then I would need something else below...

btw, I'm ditching the "ancient" idea. icon_unsettled.gif

Edited by The Satellite, 16 May 2007 - 03:46 PM.

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

Remember that although it's a video game, we still should shy away from scenes that have a mirrored feel to them, as if it was mankind that created the scene. Square or block terrain is certainly unnatural.

You could arrange rocks in a square, but vegetations? Trees? Probably not. icon_shrug.gif Roads, .. yeah, sure. But do the trees mould themselves around the road or vice versa?

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

Well, it is a man-made shrine/grove. icon_razz.gif

Update: tried better trees and positioning.
IPB Image

Now, to fill up the space... I need something...

Oh, the rest of the woods won't be symmetrical. However, this, in the game, is a kind of man-made shrine, so, it's kind of meant to be symmetrical... depending on what I use to fill up the space. Maybe some fairy statues. Nah, too cliched. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by The Satellite, 16 May 2007 - 08:23 PM.

#8 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

Hmmm....I think it still shouldn't be that symmetrical. First off, make your trees more asymmetrical, as well as adding slight bulges on the edges of the forest foliage and a some bushes near the edges . Secondly, get rid of that stone Triforce; instead, I recommend a small platform sunk into the ground with the Triforce on it. Thirdly, this screen really needs more depth and detail, such as a decaying pathway to the previously said platform, the fence and their supports should be slightly broken, and add overhanging foliage(and their shadows). Finally, a better palette would definitely help the setting; a darker palette adds to the mystery of the place.

#9 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:18 AM

Those conifer trees look quite out of place, the shot before that one looked better I think

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

Actually, I think that the new trees look better. I look back now, and I think the old trees are really ugly.

@Linkus:

I could do a sort of decaying pathway, but it wouldn't be anything special. I don't know about the foliage, but I'm still considering the shadows, like Majora's Wrath said, just on the top part of the screen. icon_unsettled.gif

I'll consider the Triforce platform. However, I doubt I'll attempt to make the fence seem "broken down," cuz I can't make good sprites outside of Classic. icon_razz.gif

This isn't a really old shrine; above, I stated that I'm ditching the "ancient" idea. The walkway being decayed wouldn't hurt, but I'm not really going to mess with other objects. icon_confused.gif

EDIT:
IPB Image
Here's a HUGE advancement on the shot. The little Triforce platform is custom, so that's why it looks kinda off. icon_unsettled.gif If anybody has the skills, they can fix it up. Also on the platform, I have it to be non-walkable. Should it be walkable, though? I don't see why...

Anything else?

Edited by The Satellite, 17 May 2007 - 02:37 PM.

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

Um, I'm not too fond of the well, it's pretty out of place. Replace it with a ruined brick wall similar to that on the right and it will look ok. I still suggest you take peoples advice and rugged up the vegetation a bit. It's weird that the shrine would turn to ruins while the gardener keeps showing up.

The triforce looks to low to the ground to be unwalkable, so if you're leaving it as is I suggest you make it walkable.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

UPDATE:
IPB Image
QUOTE(NoeL @ May 17 2007, 11:25 PM) View Post

Um, I'm not too fond of the well, it's pretty out of place.

I thought so, too, before and afterwards, but I just wanted to see what it looked like. icon_shrug.gif

Replace it with a ruined brick wall similar to that on the right and it will look ok.

As you can see, I took your advice. icon_razz.gif Though, I made it so that it looks to have once been a wall, but somehow, the right side of it crumbled out of place. (hint hint)

I still suggest you take peoples advice and rugged up the vegetation a bit. It's weird that the shrine would turn to ruins while the gardener keeps showing up.

icon_lol.gif I suck at spriting. I wouldn't want to attempt it, but, there's always some sort of vegetation growing around shrines in other Zeldas, aren't there? icon_razz.gif Though actually, I may have to take out those two trees and either move them or dump them altogether and put something in that makes it more like a shrine. icon_confused.gif

The triforce looks to low to the ground to be unwalkable, so if you're leaving it as is I suggest you make it walkable.

I changed it to walkable. You're right. However, now it seems more flat compared to the rest of the shot. icon_unsettled.gif Detail... detail...

#13 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

That one pillar looks waay to high. Try lowering it 2 or so tiles. But the rest of the shot looks alot better now. icon_wink.gif

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(Evan the great @ May 18 2007, 03:31 PM) View Post

That one pillar looks waay to high. Try lowering it 2 or so tiles. But the rest of the shot looks alot better now. icon_wink.gif

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Anyways, I lowered both pillars, so the sense of equality remains. You like?
IPB Image

#15 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

There's no depth on the Royal Family Herald. Still... that's really good custom work. Just don't make it too cramp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users