Photo

James quest 1 and 2 help

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

where the heck is Lv. 3 in James quest. i've got 5 hearts, red candle, club, meat, and arrows.
...and it's been like that for about half a year... someone help james get to Lv. 3. please....
also by some strange and frustrating coincedence I started playing James quest 2 and got
stuck after lv.1 level friggin 1!!! ahem... anyways ive basically bombed,burned,blasted and cursed at
everything hyrulian possible. Anybody that played these quests would be a great help. thx-

#2 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:06 AM

Heh, I remember a lot of people getting stuck on finding level 3 when James Quest 1 was first released. icon_razz.gif

Go to the overworld screen with the level 1 entrance, and bomb the wall at the very top-center of the screen. (You might have to walk all the way up to it and then turn sideways before it lets you actually lay the bomb, though--the game doesn't like to let Link use items close to the edge of the screen if he's facing the edge.)

I don't remember much at all of JQ2, though...been years since I played it. icon_shrug.gif

#3 Voltgloss

Voltgloss

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:01 PM

Hey folks. I also could use some advice on James Quest 1. I've completed four dungeon levels and am looking for the whistle and/or Level 5 - but can't seem to go anywhere new in the Overworld. Latest "new toys" were the bow from Level 4 and the lv2 sword.

I found the following suggestion from the quest creator in another post here, but I can't seem to implement it:

Nightmare: "Arrow a tree in the village west of the entrance, that'll trigger another passage."

I swear I've plugged every tree in Kakariko Village with arrows, and got a big fat nothing for my troubles. Any suggestions/hints? (Vague hints are fine, even just as to the general area in which I should be looking.) I'm sure I'm missing something obvious - that's usually the way of it, right? icon_unsettled.gif

I'm playing in ZC v192b183, if that matters.

Thanks much.

VG

EDIT: And of course, I just found what I needed. Could have sworn I burned that tree my first time through. Oh well, onwards and upwards . . .

Edited by Voltgloss, 17 April 2007 - 04:23 PM.

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

stupid,stupid,stupid......
....yes that's it. you have to bomb before you get to the top of the screen.
where's captain obvious when you need him.
Thanks for the help.

still can't find find lv2 in part 2. maybe i'll try every combination of lost woods paths till i get through,
shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so. ha ha.

#5 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:59 PM

With James Quest 2-
I'm having problems figuring out what the guy was saying on how to get through the maze.
"Even right, up on the single, and hat trick on down the road!"

Any idea on what this means?

I'v tried:

RRUUU
RRURRURRU
RRUDDD
URRDDD
and many more.

#6 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:12 AM

Aha- Ive cracked iT!!!
...and jerome, ive no idea what that hint means. i coundn't even find it.
but anyway thank god it only took about 8 minutes to crack.
basically the path must end on a screen you havent been to yet(right or up)and going left exits the
maze, so you are left with 54 possible 4 step combinations of u,d,r ending in r,u. ex
uuuu
uuur
uuru
uurr
uudu
uudr
uduu
udur....etc. which after 17 tries gets to - U R D R - (the answer)

why nitemare? why would you make it this difficult?

Jq2- --OK in lv-4 now got the whistle, ladder, and bob-omb. found 2 keys but found no locked doors.
got arrows but no bow. the guy says you can solve the riddle with bombs and raft??? had to reset after
using up superbomb on wall with blocks to no avail. ?? anyone play through this far into the game?
P.S. still on 0-game status.

Edited by Gleeok, 21 April 2007 - 04:40 AM.

#7 Voltgloss

Voltgloss

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:08 AM

For what it's worth, the clue "Even right, up on the single, and hat trick on down the road!" probably weas intended as follows:

"Even right" = of the 4 moves to go through the maze, the even numbered moves, 2 and 4 = moves 2 and 4 are Right
"Up on the single" = single is 1 = move 1 is Up
"Hat trick on down" = a hat trick is 3 of something = move 3 is Down

I agree it's a bit confusing because a "hat trick" usually means three of the same thing in a row, so three "downs" is a reasonable interpretation.

Haven't tried James Quest 2 yet myself - still working on James Quest 1.

VG

#8 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

OK James quest 1 now. cant find lv5. i dont understand "arrow the tree west of the village"
there are no trees west of the village. ive plugged about 150 arrows into trees and nada.
i'll probably kick myself for missing this but where exactly was this tree voltglass?

-also due to problems with ZQ iv'e had to reinstall ZC and it erased my saved quests. fortunately it removed
my death count from old jq1 file so now iv'e got a 0-link death on part 1 also. heh, heh.

Edit; Grrrr.. !! ok definately missing the bow in James quest 2. yep.definately do not have the bow.
anyone know where the bow is ???

Edited by Gleeok, 22 April 2007 - 01:52 AM.

#9 Voltgloss

Voltgloss

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:34 AM

Gleeok:

As near as I can tell, "arrow the tree" is rather misleading. I had success by burning one of the brown trees at the entrance of Kakariko Village (one screen west from where the raft drops you off, where the old man in the cave says "Welcome to Kakariko Village!" or something of that nature).

I could have sworn I burned that tree the first time through - before I started shooting every tree in sight with the bow - so it's possible you have to shoot it first, then burn it. But I don't recall getting any "you found a secret" sound when I shot the tree the first time, so I sort of doubt it.

(IIRC, you need the bow to proceed past that point anyways, as one of the first rooms in the next mini-dungeon has a Gohma blocking the path.)

And good luck keeping that 0-count for the rest of James Quest 1. I literally just completed it - and that last dungeon is a doozy! My final death count was 48.

I'll try James Quest 2 for my next one - so if I come across the bow, I'll let you know, Gleeok. But right now, it's time for some well deserved sleep!

VG

#10 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

F@#$%!!! ...yes thats the one. I thought i burned all trees in the village when i first got there.
thats where the problem lies. you assume you've already searched somewhere.
that "arrow" part sure had me in a loop though. -lv6 holy crap! things are getting out of control now.
i don't know how much longer i can keep this up! good thing i came prepared.
...currently searching for lv7. maybe some superbombs? do you have to superbomb the wall next to
lv3 ? ive also tried dragging the whistle on all new screens. hmm..

Nope...found it. that was easy. heh. lv Eightward bound. no time for pottybreaks.

Edited by Gleeok, 22 April 2007 - 10:23 PM.

#11 Voltgloss

Voltgloss

Junior

• Members

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

Gleeok:

I just found the bow in James Quest 2. Look carefully at your overworld map in the northwest area. There should be an empty spot you haven't reached. Use bombs from the south to get there. When you arrive, it's under an Armos.

Good luck,

VG

#12 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

yeah, after playin jq1 i figuered it was something like that. but rightt now i'm still trying to get into lv9.
thought a superbomb would, but no. only thing to think of now is hittin the armos with wand fire, or magic boomerang.
Edit: Doh! the only screen in the entire world i didn't use the whistle!
...anyway - james 1, gannon 0.
14 hours playtime.
0 gamed. first attempt.
thanks to all who helped me out.
Great epic game. 5 stars. best i've played so far.
now onto james quest 2. heh heh.

also is there a lv10? i never accually fought necrosaro. and lv 9 was pretty easy. dosent feel like the game is over yet.IPB ImageIPB Image

Ok james quest 2 lv 6 now. didnt find an item in lv 5. i'm thinking i missed something important... any of the 3 people who
beat this quest remember where the lv 3 sword is at ?

Edited by Gleeok, 24 April 2007 - 08:53 AM.

#13 Voltgloss

Voltgloss

Junior

• Members

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

Congrats, Gleeok. I didn't find Necrosaro or a level 10 either. It also doesn't look like you found all the pieces of heart . . . I had one more full heart in my life bar at the end. Of course, I also had all those deaths. icon_wink.gif

I think I made the second half of level 9 (with the red walls) unnecessarily hard by not finding the Mirror Shield near the entrance for the longest time. I agree that the first half of level 9 was pretty simple, but tangoing with all those Wizzrobes in the second half without proper protection was grueling. And it would have been nice to get the lv4 sword a little earlier. icon_razz.gif

I agree that James 1 was a great quest. Soon as I get enough posts to rate it, I'll do so - and add that one reviewer's complaint about "how are you supposed to beat 10 Pols Voices with no bow?!?!" really isn't valid. Sure, you can find that room before getting the bow, but you're not supposed to attempt it until afterwards.

As for James Quest 2, your hunch is right: the lv3 sword is in Level 5. IIRC, you have to play the whistle in a black room full of Blue Wizzrobes. I think it's the room right after the boss.

I'm up to level 9 myself, although I have the feeling there's substantially more to the game left even after that. Good luck!

VG

#14 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:31 AM

yeah, the "trick" w/ Lv9 is the mirror shield. then those wizzrobe rooms accually help you out
by letting you restore lost hearts. never got the lv4 sword though.i'm impressed you never get
stuck in the overworld. currently looking for lv 7 now.
no. found it. forgot about that one.

aarg. you'd think w/ the lens one would be able to find one magic key.

Edited by Gleeok, 25 April 2007 - 04:19 AM.

#15 Voltgloss

Voltgloss

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

Thanks, Gleeok. And as for the lv4 sword in JQ 1, it's almost a joke. It's in the room immediately before Ganon (blow the whistle). So, it helps out for all of one fight. icon_rolleyes.gif

IIRC, the magic key in JQ 2 is the prize of a mini-dungeon that's only accessible after clearing Level 7.

VG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users