459 replies to this topic

#46 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

I was doing some group moderation on deviantART when I was greeted by this:
Spoiler

Gee, its like some new Pokemon just got announced or something. That, or a bunch of people independently came up with the same Fakemon design on the same day.

If it's the former, I cannot fathom which starter is the favorite here.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 10 May 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#47 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

They have good taste.

>.> <.<

#48 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, the wave of fanart is happening now.  Better brace for impact on the art sites, because they're hitting hard, lol.

#49 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

As a cat lover, I feel like I'm inclined to pick Litten, but Rowlet is really pecking at my heart... 

• The Satellite likes this

#50 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

So this is a thing.

• thepsynergist likes this

#51 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

My opinion on the starters...

Rowlet: I think its design is pretty great! Very basic and memorable. The thousand-mile stare and weird-looking beak creep me out but I can understand why it's the most popular starter thus far. I imagine it'll have a really imposing-looking 3rd evo.

Litten: I honestly don't have much to say about this design. The red-on-black stripes feel a bit tacky but the rest of the design is pretty great. I remember hearing somewhere that it spits flammable hairballs to fight. Neat! Let's hope the 3rd evo finds a way to differentiate itself from Pyroar.

Popplio: Good grief, this is the most doofy starter I've ever seen. When I saw the first image of it I thought it was a camera issue or something. Nope! It actually has eyes on the opposite sides of its head. Nope nope nope! Mammals and derpy fish eyes do not mix. Not at all. Let's hope the 3rd evo takes a different direction and gives us something awesome like Samurott.

Also, on the subject of Rowlet's typing...From what I understand, this is the first starter Pokemon that's initially a dual-type? Four advantages and five weaknesses...one of which is a quadruple-weakness to ice. As someone who has a lot of experience with Dragon/Flying and Dragon/Ground Pokemon, that's pretty terrible. :( Though, given the tropical setting I guess we're not going to see a lot of ice-type moves.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 10 May 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#52 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Bulbasaur was Grass/Poison to start.

• DragonDePlatino likes this

#53 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

Weeellll, that's not nearly as bad. In 1st gen that was 4 weaknesses, 4 resistances. One of which was a quadruple resistance. And in newer generations, Bulbasaur got a 5th resistance against fairy-types.

Only time will tell if Rowlet shapes up to be nearly as well. I'm not a huge fan of Pokemon with quadruple weaknesses, no. :(

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 10 May 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#54 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

I've never been into it competitively, so it won't really bother me. I just think he's cute. And owls are awesome.

#55 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

Yeah, I seem to be the only one on the internet who thinks Popplio's design is godawful. That's okay, the rest of you are free to be wrong. :tard:

I'm actually the same on that but didn't want to bring it up as that easily sparks flame wars in my experiences.

Outside of that, the other two starters are pretty neat. They'll still probably evolve into hideous monsters (*cough* Fennekin *cough* Oshawott *cough*). Oh and be terrible competitively still. Grass/Flying is indeed pretty bad, hopefully its movepool and ability make up for it somewhat.

Now I just want some Megas for the Eeveelutions plus some new Eeveelutions and I'll be set. Preferably a Dragon type and a Ground type, because we really do need more of them and some of the fan art for them are so adorable it's hard not to want a real one. (Especially the Dragon one).If not those types, i'm sold on pretty much any other Eeveelution type as well. Someone even made an amazing Poison typed one.

#56 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

Quaduple weaknesses haven't really stopped a bunch of pokemon. Pokemon like Talonflame, Garchomp and Tyranitar have quadruple weakness to a type and yet they are still top tier threats. Hope the ability and stats distribution makes it viable.

I'm hoping that the fire starter is not Fire/Fighting in the final stage and, please, let it be the first true quadrupedal fire starter. So far every Fire starter has been bipedal in the final stage and it might seem silly to hope, but i really want it to be quadrupedal.

• Jared likes this

#57 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

I think I'm most hyped for the region being based on Hawaii. Hawaii's one of my favorite places on earth, and it's an awesome area for a Pokemon game. Sure it's tropical, but it's got snowy mountains and deep canyons and whatnot too. Should be plenty of variety in locations. The map of Oahu they showed in the trailer looks a bit... squished though. They combined two different mountain ranges into a single mountain and removed the entire middle of the island. Ah well, still interested in it.

As for the starters, the seal immediately catches my interest, but we'll have to see what their final evolutions are. Given that we already have a sea lion starter of sorts (I'm still upset with Gamefreak for Samurott...) it'll be interesting to see what he turns into. But as a whole, the starters seem... kinda generic, I guess? I dunno, I was more impressed with Gen 6's. I also have to question why we have a lion starter in Hawaii. As for the legendaries, both are cool, but I prefer Moon's. Again, not sure why we're going with the lion theme in Hawaii, but okay.

#58 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

All the Popplio haters will fall to their knees when the new Water-Dragon type with 130 in every stat is capable of firing Hyper Beams every turn and is banned to the AG tier.   :tard:

• Shane and Jared like this

#59 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, I seem to be the only one on the internet who thinks Popplio's design is godawful. That's okay, the rest of you are free to be wrong. :tard:

I concur. He reminds me an awful lot of that emoticon you used just there...

Rowlet, though. I don't care if he's overrated or the most popular choice. Look at that bow tie made of leaves.

Bow ties are cool. And so is Rowlet.

EDIT:

As for the starters, the seal immediately catches my interest, but we'll have to see what their final evolutions are.

I expected more from you, Russ. :(

Edited by Adem, 10 May 2016 - 07:46 PM.

• The Satellite likes this

#60 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

I'm going Team Rowlet, because, holy crap, Grass/Flying is a really competitive defensive typing.  As long as you can predict a Fire or Ice type attack, he can wall a lot of attacks.  I'm hoping he's wall rather than aggro.  I used to wall a lot of players in tournaments with Tropius.

Edited by thepsynergist, 10 May 2016 - 07:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users