Contest 24 hour quest styles contest

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#76 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

I've got 9 screens left to go. Then it's enemy placement, boss balancing, and bug fixing (I already know of quite a few that need fixing). I'm actually gonna be able to get this done within the time limit, and that's kind of an exhilarating feeling. A little more than six hours left for me.
  • Lüt likes this

#77 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

Soo, I hate to do this, but there is absolutely no way I can finish this in 2 more hours. Good luck everyone else. I'll possibly finish this up and submit it as a mini quest, but I dunno. TBH, I feel like mine wouldn't have been very good anyway. Using the Classic set, and only a few minimal scripts means it'll probably be boring since it seems like everyone is going all in with scripting and what not.

I didn't realize how long testing would take, and I still have a lot of screens to draw. Enemies need edited, and dropsets need edited too, and I just can't see me doing that, plus drawing another 40 screen in 2 more hours :P

#78 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

In retrospect, I think this contest started waaay too soon to its announcement. Even the two week contests give some leeway to plan tons before going into the editor and the contests provide two entire weeks. I know a lot of people are going to chalk me dropping out to me being a perfectionist (which is simply not the case, it's actually other reasons but I refuse to get into them) but between this and the previous contest, I had enough time to compile the resources and plan everything (and I mean absolutely everything). I know the whole appeal to some might be the short time frame of the contest as a whole, but I don't know, the two week contests are pretty merciful. It seems only scripters are the only ones who got real comfortable and productive with this contest. It's kind of a rush for me to ask others to do stuff for me especially when they themselves decided to enter. :P It was also kind of troubling to not be able to at least do things like make subscreens, add tiles, make palettes and do strings in editor before the contest began (usually contests only forbid you to make screens until the time frame begun).

In any case, I also want to announce that I'll be co-hosting this contest by creating the polls. We're still discussing when this will happen so stay tuned for that. I feel if we do this again, we should consider some community feedback to cement this as a frequent contest.

Oh- and don't think my idea is going to go to waste. I have plans for it...

• Anthus and Gouanaco like this

#79 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

In retrospect, I think this contest started waaay too soon to its announcement.

Wasn't that kinda the point though? It's designed to just be an "impulsive" thing. As if someone is holding a figurative gun to your head to poop something out in ZC quickly, what do you make? At the very least, it gives us an insight of what it's like to work for a company like Konami!
  • Anthus, Russ, coolgamer012345 and 3 others like this

#80 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

TBH, I feel like mine wouldn't have been very good anyway. Using the Classic set, and only a few minimal scripts means it'll probably be boring since it seems like everyone is going all in with scripting and what not.

Really? I thought classic was the go-to set for quick design projects like these.

That and GB maybe.

I think as long as it plays fun, it should be worth entering. Everybody's aware of the 24-hour context. Nobody's expecting a miniature TRIFORCE or Lost Isle.

It seems only scripters are the only ones who got real comfortable and productive with this contest.

Double-really? That seems kind of counter-intuitive, given how hard that is in comparison to plunking down some tiles and placing enemy sets. I mean, again assuming people are using a somewhat basic tileset and not DoR, it's far more simplistic to throw together some basic layouts and a gradually-increasing enemy hierarchy. Between relational modes, dungeon carving, aliases, and the ability to cut+paste enemy sets, a miniquest should be in any intermediate user's reach.

Wasn't that kinda the point though? It's designed to just be an "impulsive" thing. As if someone is holding a figurative gun to your head to poop something out in ZC quickly, what do you make?

I agree with this. It's like drive-by questing. Too much planning takes away the impulsiveness...

It was also kind of troubling to not be able to at least do things like make subscreens, add tiles, make palettes and do strings in editor before the contest began (usually contests only forbid you to make screens until the time frame begun).

...however, I do believe that an essential part of "Ready, Set, Go!" is the "set" part. If a contest like this comes around again, it would be great for people to have their resources set, so that when it was time to go, they could just go.

• Gouanaco and Naru like this

#81 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

I finished the over world. I now need to do my dungeons with 3 hours left >__< But it is very possible.

-Strike
  • Gouanaco and Lüt like this

#82 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

3 hours late, but finished. It's not as long as I originally planned, but hopefully it'll entertain someone for a good couple minutes.

• Gouanaco and Lüt like this

#83 Gouanaco

Gouanaco

Death Knight

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Finished mine with some wonky and awkward hours, its not what I had envisioned originally but I think it still holds the feeling of my original idea, plus works as a concept for a possible future project.

Also personally I agree that it's better to have less time to plan since the idea was to have to throw something together as almost like an impulse. This contest has actually really taught me something about my own design choices and Ive been able to explore alittle into other ideas that I'd never tested before.

It's also really great to see some people really interested in this. I am thinking that for a future contest similar to this one, it might be something like a 48 weekend contest. With the same planning rules (but that would be way down the track [talking months to a year]) or something that could be within a few weeks to a few months would be something akin to logging a certain amount of hours. Something like you have 21 hours of work you can put into this quest over 2 weeks, but im not trying to boycott the official contests. I am thinking that was what made this more interesting was the sudden interjection. A call to arms sort of event.

• Lüt likes this

#84 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

funny-Frodo-face-Lord-of-the-Rings.jpg

That was a wild ride. Ended up getting just about all the optional features I wanted but didn't think I'd have time to do done. The design's not as nuanced as I'd like and the final boss isn't as fleshed out as it could've been with more time, but that's the whole point of the challenge. After the contest, I'll probably release a patch to tweak the balancing, add some stuff, maybe redesign some screens, and fix the bugs that I'm sure slipped past me. But for now, it's over.
  • Jared, Gouanaco and Lüt like this

#85 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

Just got my dungeons fully planned >_> Let's go.
  • Lüt likes this

#86 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

Best of luck! Light-speed dungeon drawing, go!
  • strike likes this

#87 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

My only regret is that I didn't get to include much, like at all. It's more a proof of concept than anything.

#88 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

Wasn't that kinda the point though? It's designed to just be an "impulsive" thing. As if someone is holding a figurative gun to your head to poop something out in ZC quickly, what do you make? At the very least, it gives us an insight of what it's like to work for a company like Konami!

Not really. The announcement and time were really at the spur of the moment. And really my point was the contest felt too restrictive, even for a 24 hour quest contest. Sure, it was 24 hours but two weeks is two weeks and it gave you a lot of time to plan and even set resources together. :P Even if it was just a week of planning, with a few more extra days, I think things would of been a little more forgiving. I don't see the harm in that really especially when putting resources into the quest file is also off limits. :shrug: Oh well I guess.

Looking forward to all the entries however, it'll be interesting to see.

#89 strike

strike

• Members

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:56 AM

I finished. I am exhausted. I think it turned out pretty decent.
  • Evan20000 and Lüt like this

#90 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:39 AM

its not what I had envisioned originally but I think it still holds the feeling of my original idea

That's basically every facet of the creative industry.

I am thinking that for a future contest similar to this one, it might be something like a 48 weekend contest.

I also thought that a weekend timeframe might accomplish roughly the same goal, but be more inclusive of varying schedules. I know you were lenient in allow people's different time zones or allowing a day's difference, but with so many different people in different parts of life, you can't just figure, "it's the weekend, of course everybody's got Saturday off," or something. Some people get Friday off because they work Saturday, other people work extra time Friday to have the next 2 days to themselves, some people refuse to lift a finger on Sunday even to click a mouse, other people are busy all day studying for Monday's test. But somewhere within a Friday-Sunday timeframe, most people should be able to get at least one full day to work on it.

That combined with allowing the pre-construction of a resource pack would make it a lot more feasible for a lot more people.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest, 24, hour, quest, styles, contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users