Photo

Winter Crossover Expo Entries

Poll Winter Expo Contest Crossover mashup video game

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: The Winter Expo Official, Unofficial Poll

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Best Overall

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Unusual

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Best Gameplay

Best Presentation/Execution

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

Winter Expo: Video game Crossover Contest
Theme: Mashups of Other Game Franchises in ZC

Here are the entries for the Winter Expo.

Voting will be for the following categories:

• Best Overall
  • Best Gameplay
  • Best Presentation/Execution
  • Most Unusual

Voting begins on 14th February, 2016.

############################################################################

Thank you for your submissions, and good luck to all contestants.

If any of you wish to append screenshots, or videos, please notify me, and I will edit the post with the entries. Screenshots must be machine-readable without a click-through-link.

Entries are listed in alphabetic order, based on the username of the submitting questmaker.

Thinking Without Logic
By: Avataro

Download: https://www.mediafir...cwvvhbl3s4tcc5w

Crossover Material:
It takes place in the world of Portal.

Screenshot:
YFBStzi.png

Description:
Tested in 2.50.1 and 2.50.2. Should also work in 2.50 and future versions too. This is a rather short sidescroller that features a bunch of puzzles, challenges and surprises. The main inspiration for this quest is Portal 1. I made this quest in just a few days, because at first I wasn't planning on participating, but then I got the idea for this quest.

It borrows the scripted engine of one of my other quests. I'm glad that I've made my script somewhat commented out and easily understandable, and so I've copied it and modified it for this quest. I will definetly reuse this engine again in the future for a bigger game, so I'm happy about the new things that I created for this.

I Wanna Be the Superboss.
By: Dimentio

Download: https://dl.dropboxus...81713/Death.qst

Story: You used to be The Kid. You got turned into a dragon by a wizard aquamentus. Said wizard aquamentus is the Superboss. You want to be the superboss.

Crossover of: 'I Wanna Be the Guy'.

23iw385.jpg2eq97vo.jpg2m3qrmq.jpg28srpjk.jpg117fbpf.jpg1zqfoua.jpgsl70hw.jpg2817n8g.jpg2r38ke9.jpgb51fra.jpg

Controls:

Press A to fire a fireball. This has a cooldown of about 1.5 seconds, so use it sparingly! You can also hold down A to charge up more powerful attacks. You can use B to use an item when you get it. Use the directional keys to move.

You Don't Belong Here
By: Geoffrey
Download: https://www.dropbox....g Here.zip?dl=0

yX8x7fQ.pngYvgfudw.png

Legend of Pokemon Warrior
By: HeroOfFire

Download: http://www.mediafire...emonWarrior.qst

Screenshots

PokeWarrior_01.pngPokeWarrior_02.png
PokeWarrior_03.pngPokeWarrior_04.png
PokeWarrior_05.pngPokeWarrior_06.png
PokeWarrior_07.pngPokeWarrior_08.png
PokeWarrior_09.pngPokeWarrior_10.png

The title of the quest is Legend of Pokemon Warrior. The title reflects the crossovers of the quest, combining LEGEND OF Zelda, POKEMON, and Dragon WARRIOR.

The "plot" is simple.

Link has found himself in the world of POKEMON! Except, the world of POKEMON is currently on the losing end of a crossover with Dragon Warrior (technically Dragon Warrior Monsters for GameBoy). Why is Link here? Is Zelda safe? Who cares, you have a new world to explore!

So yeah, this is a crossover with Pokemon that is having a crossover with Dragon Warrior. With some other minor references here and there.

Disclaimer: Due to the amount of time this quest had for development, this isn't short. 3 hours is fast if you know what you're doing and don't go for 100%.

In addition, there may be an incentive to play this quest multiple times. Why? No reason, find out for yourself.

Credit to Spriter's Resource for the sprites, VGMusic for the midis, and Akkabus and Lightwulf for the initial tileset.

More to follow as soon as PZC allows me to post them.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 15 February 2016 - 05:38 AM.

• Lightwulf and Joelmacool like this

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

Zeldius
by: Lejes

Download: http://www.mediafire...4wk/zeldius.zip

Description: Embark on a new quest starring original character, SHIP. Traverse two entire levels full of solid obstacles, vicious monsters, and bad dudes.

How To Play: Collect fairies and press A to power up SHIP. Choose from 5 different types of upgrade! The power is yours! Best played on 2.50.2.

HzD6kU6.png

HuuOUIM.pngrmNJxPe.png
4P7D4iv.pngdU0X7BT.png
blcdjDF.pngHlmVScT.png
Ei7yuZh.pngUORz9Ay.png

NightNight
by: Lunaria

Download: NightNight

Introducing, NightNight, the quest where no one needs to die! Except you, you need to die, a lot.

IMPORTANT: This quest uses real audio files for the music, they are packed in with the zip, but be sure they are in the same folder as the quest!

zelda190.pngzelda187.png

Well, what can I say, this is a quest that was heavily inspired by dayday, and production started on it the last few days of January. It's a short joke quest that does not take itself serious, not one bit. That being said, I have thrown in some crossovers to fit with the theme of the contest, so at least there is that. :P

zelda186.pngzelda188.pngzelda191.png

Now, just like dayday, nightnight is a very sophisticated experience, so try and not spoil the amazing screen design and mechanics for people who have not yet tried it~
Also, if you mute the audio, you're a little fraidy cat. :Y

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO HELP ZULDA SAVE RADRULE? WELL THEN, DOWNLOAD THE QUEST RIGHT HERE: AND BEAT IT RIGHT NOW!

The Apixelypse
by:Octorockoncrack

Download: https://www.mediafir...kts2se4ukz6e4yd

Please Read!: This quest has been created/tested with 2.50.1 . More specifically, I used the most recent 2.5 download on Zelda Classic's site. This quest also comes with a music pack that must be placed in the same folder as ZC. If you dont do this, the game will be almost entirely muted.

Synopsis: Go Retro! Get Bugged! Try to find your way out of the pixelated world while trying to discover who this "Master" is.

Screenshots:

g8ks7Th.png6p1zFmy.png

bDUL6fg.pngGo4QHUY.png

This was created within the course of about 11 days. Unfortunately a lot had to be cut short or switched around, but it should still play mostly the same. The end-game has some rough edges to it, but there shouldnt be anything that inhibits you from finishing the game. There are no save points, and estimated game time would be about 30-45 minutes,

Quest Name: Metroid: Origins
By: ywkls
ZC Version: 2.50.2
Download: https://www.dropbox....rigins.qst?dl=0

Screenshots

331_o0jvk3.png331_o2ceyb.png331_o26mhe.png
331_o2cey3.png331_o2cexw.png
331_o2cex5.png331_o2ceyj.png

Storyline: A year after the events of Metroid: Fusion, Samus receives a distress signal that leads to an uncharted planet and secrets from the past.

Warning! This game has not yet been successfully playtested from start to finish. Please report all bugs immediately so that they can be eliminated.

That's everything, as provided. HeroOfFire used PhotoBucket links for screenshots, and they are not machine-readable, without click-throughs, so PZC doesn't display them.

I will update screenshots, if desired, from any contestant; and descriptions, to a lesser extent on an ad-hoc basis.

Voting begins on 14th February, 2016.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 11 February 2016 - 08:58 AM.

• Joelmacool likes this

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Welp, this'll be fun. Can't wait to start playing these!

Edited by Dimentio, 11 February 2016 - 11:13 AM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

I suggest to all viewing that that you hold off on downloading my entry. I found a few bugs, one of which makes the game unwinnable (i'm a horrible playtester).

I'm attempting to get an update out ASAP.

Sorry, but I'm afraid that isn't really how this works.

If your submission has bugs, by all means, fix them before submitting it to the database; but I granted more than enough extra time to ensure that everyone had a fair chance. Document the 'un-winnable situation' bug, so that people know how to avoid it, but playthroughs, and ratings should be based on the submissions delivered within the scope of the deadline.

Changing the download file, arbitrarily post-dealine, will pretty much invalidate the entry. If everyone could do that, then there wouldn't even be a point to the time limit, at all, at all.

Many of the quests are likely to have unknown bugs, and that's all part of determining what kind of end-result the project is in the time allotted. :shrug:

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 11 February 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

Awesome! Will download these and pick them up during the weekend. Looking forward to seeing what's in store :P

#6 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

PhotoBucket doesn't work? Oh well, you can remove the screenshot links. I'll just create a quest project with the screenshots and a general help thread. Anyone who wants to be spoiled on the quest at all can check the project thread, and those who want to go in blind can ignore it. The thread will also give a place for those who ask for help or post bugs. The only quest download will remain in this expo thread until the contest ends, to avoid any conflicts.

Still, 8 entries is pretty good. Looks like a lot of interesting crossovers.

#7 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

If anyone is streaming the contest entries, let me know, I wanna watch. :V

#8 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

If anyone is streaming the contest entries, let me know, I wanna watch. :V

Eppy is streaming them sometime this week. Maybe tonight? I'm just going by his schedule.

On another note, to any who play my quest (I Wanna Be The Superboss): Should I improve on this idea? Would you be interested in seeing a full fledged quest around the gameplay? What would you like to see in a potential remake/sequel/etc?

Edited by Dimentio, 11 February 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

Found a game-breaking bug in playtesting mine.

ndxqmpP.png

That warp there leads to an identical screen which is the elevator. However, on the identical screen; the combos below the warp are solid when they're not supposed to be. Since I'm not supposed to edit the quest myself, if anybody wants to get past this point they either have to wait for the official release or ask for the quest password and fix it. Or the cheat code.

It's just two tiny little combos on two screens; but that's all it takes to bring this quest to a screeching halt.

#10 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Found a game-breaking bug in playtesting mine.

ndxqmpP.png

That warp there leads to an identical screen which is the elevator. However, on the identical screen; the combos below the warp are solid when they're not supposed to be. Since I'm not supposed to edit the quest myself, if anybody wants to get past this point they either have to wait for the official release or ask for the quest password and fix it. Or the cheat code.

It's just two tiny little combos on two screens; but that's all it takes to bring this quest to a screeching halt.

I'm not even sure cheats could do it. A bug with walkthrough walls is that you cannot walk south through a combo in sideview. So You'll have to walk to the right or left screen, walk down, then walk back.

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

I'm gonna use this post to give a few thoughts on the quests as I play them. So yeah, updates as I go...

Thinking Without Logic
Man, this is a fun little quest. I was expecting at first that it'd be just another portal clone, but I shouldn't have underestimated Avataro. The gimmick of having game rules that change in each room was really cool and has plenty of room to be expanded on in a future quest. It was really fun and rarely frustrating finding out how the game works in each new puzzle. The two rooms that did frustrate me were where I felt the game got a little too meta. One solved when I reset the puzzle and the other I think had to do with saving and quitting out of the quest, but I'm not so sure. At least nothing required that I open an online strategy guide like a certain other puzzle game with meta solutions. Another small complaint I have is that the jump button is mapped to Up. Since ZC only recognizes the control stick on my gamepad and doesn't let me play with the D-Pad, that was a little frustrating. I would have much preferred an EX button. Also, while it's hard to tell with this quest, I maaaay have found a bug.

Final Rating: Illogical Puzzle Solution/10

I Wanna Be the Superboss.
So the first two things I noticed when I opened this quest: First, I'm an aquamentus. Second, the world is made of CSet 8. Despite being CSet 8, this is one of the better uses of sprite csets in an overworld I've seen I guess, so I'll give it a pass for now. Aquamentus has three scripted attacks that come in the form of a multi level charge. The first level is a single sword beam projectile, the second is a triple sword beam projectile, and the third is a fast moving fire shot that deals more damage. I found I never used the uncharged shot because regardless of if you charge there's a huge delay between shots. The level 1 and 2 shots also travel really slowly, at the same speed as the player, which looks really weird if you walk in the same direction as your shot. The quest is decently fun despite the imbalanced charge shot, but there seem to be a few bugs as a result of it being a rushed last minute thing. There's a few spots that can get you stuck and need to F6, but the most serious problem I found was that one enemy is completely immune to your basic attack when it isn't supposed to be. I talked with Dimentio and apparently I used some keys in the wrong order and was therefore permastuck. Because of this, I wasn't able to beat the quest. I also don't really see the crossover connection in this quest aside from the name and the backstory given.

Final Rating: A Slow Moving LWeapon/10

You Don't Belong Here
This is a really short quest, probably the shortest here I'd bet, but it's incredibly effective in its simplicity. What starts as a lighthearted adventure as a walking Tetris piece to find out where you belong quickly devolves into a brutal massacre of your fellow Tetris pieces, all presented in a silent film style of storytelling. It's worth a good laugh, until I look back and realize I don't belong here...

Final Rating: Alas, Alack/10

Legend of Pokemon Warrior
Well, this one sure knows how to start off right. A picture of me, right at the start! But I won't let my vote get bought off that easily, I think...that this is an outstanding quest, good job HeroOfFire, you win the contest. Okay, so I haven't actually beaten this one yet, I found the second floor but haven't completed everything on the first yet. In typical HeroOfFire fashion, it's heavily focused on item collection. There's tons of items to find all over the place, almost too many I'd say. I found a lot of items well before finding a use for them. I found a bow and arrows but no quiver, an ocarina, wand and hammer that I have no idea what to use on yet, two bracelets with no rocks that seem pushable yet, and the raft and ladder. More important items like the bombs and candle I have yet to find and that's what I think is the real downside to this approach of item collection. With all the caves in this overworld containing various types of items all holding the same weight in their difficulty to find, it's very easy to overlook something really important and really frustrating having to go back and find it. A cave somewhere said to thank Ben when I get lost, so thanks Ben. Moving past the complaints, the visuals in this quest are pretty great given the contest restriction. Screens are plenty detailed and from the sound of things I've barely even scratched the surface of this one. I'm amazed how HOF manages to complete stuff of this scale time and again. The music choices are also refreshing and enjoyable so far. And while I've criticized some aspects of the gameplay, it's still very much enjoyable and fun. I look forward to finishing this one.

Edit: And then I created a new file and realized it's all randomized. I am not a very smart Moosh. So you can scratch my complaints about useless item placements, I still feel bombs need some kind of weighting to their placement that makes them easier to find.

Final Rating: Ben/10

Zeldius
I am not good at Zeldius.

Final Rating: Option/10

The Apixelypse
This is a great example of a fantastic quest marred by one fatal flaw. I started off the quest and it was amazing: Great cutscenes, graphics, music, and gameplay. Then I died and got sent back to the file select. "So it's going to be one of those quests," I figured. My second try I played more carefully, I figured as long as there was a save at the end of each world I could beat it. I got to the second world, no save tile, but there was a spot I figured you might've cleverly slipped an autosave into a cutscene so I wasn't that worried. Then I hit a bug that required I F6. This was when I looked at the quest description again and saw the part I missed: There's no save points. But I figured the quest's pretty short, I can cheat back to where I got bugged out and try one more time. So I did. And then I died again. Until the save system gets changed, I'm giving up on this one. I can't stand losing all my progress every death and when cheating through the game I don't feel like I'm getting the intended experience. Even if I did keep trying, the experience would be ruined by the constant paranoia of dying and losing progress.

Final Rating: Permadeath/10

Metroid: Origins
This quest is unplayably buggy. I hate to say it, but that's just how it is. At times I found it hard to even discern what's going on, ladders being a good example. Sometimes I couldn't get on the ladder, sometimes I couldn't get off the ladder, sometimes I got halfway on the ladder and it said that was good enough. Then sometimes I could actually climb the ladder and sometimes I couldn't, and don't even think about trying to jump off a ladder. Another buggy thing is the health bar. I don't know what that number up there means but I can assure you whatever it was wasn't representing my health. It just stayed at 07 until I died...Until I saved and suddenly it was working again. And then sometimes when I died, it would play a custom death animation that doesn't actually do anything, then would take me to a Save and Quit screen, if I chose not to quit would loop infinitely. Slopes are weird as well, as is probably to be expected of any time you mess with solidity behavior. Instead of moving the player fluidly, they jerk them about and when on a slope you cannot jump. Sometimes it fails to detect being on a slope altogether such as when in morph ball form. One time I just teleported through the screen, for no apparent reason. There wasn't even anything remarkable or noteworthy happening at the time, it just happened. One moment I was falling off the screen, the next, up I flew. Another time I unmorphed in a wall and realized I could jump up through it and get stuck at the top of the screen. Using the bombs (which are more of a space jump) in an elevator cutscene lets you go out of bounds too. I could probably list a different glitch every few minutes of playing. Another subject worth bringing up is the graphics. A lot of them look like you didn't even recolor them. They use random colors with no visible ramps in places. In other places they're still visibly Zelda 1 tiles, like the background in the first area. It just looks incredibly lazy.

Final Rating: A Debbie Downer/10

Edited by Moosh, 12 February 2016 - 02:35 AM.

• Eppy and Avaro like this

#12 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

Okay, warning for all who play: When you find the tower/castle, do not go up the stairway on the tower/castle. That area was supposed to be blocked off, and wasn't because I'm an idiot. Do not enter the tower entrance on the second floor or the stair warp on the other side either; you will get stuck!

Also, You may have to f6 out of the boss door room if you don't have the key, because for some reason, my block puzzle wasn't permanent.

Finally, the miniboss might be immune to your breath weapons according to Moosh, so before you go and unlock that lock block south of the stairs, you might want to go left for a locked chest first.

Edited by Dimentio, 11 February 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#13 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Just tried going through mine again, didn't see any real bugs, but I'm not really hunting for them hardcore. Only issues with mine were things like not having a second shop done in time. Essentially all money after the shop in stage 2 is worthless. Yay?

It should probably also be noted that you get fully healed after each world and before the last boss.

EDIT: Guess I left the debug cheats in and kept the quest file unlocked. Whoops, oh well as lol. No biggie

Edited by Octorockoncrack, 11 February 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#14 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

http://www.gizoogle....gle Dis Shiznit

Because I had to.

#15 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

http://www.gizoogle....gle Dis Shiznit
Because I had to.

Wutisthisidonteven...

Also, just found some potential game-breakers. Some sideview areas that should have invisible walls on the sides dont, mainly the 3rd boss room and the area before him. Not sure to what extent you can break the game with this bug, but it doesn't seem to be that bad at the moment.

Edited by Octorockoncrack, 11 February 2016 - 07:19 PM.

• Deedee likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Poll, Winter Expo, Contest, Crossover, mashup, video, game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users