Thousand year humans

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#16 Aaron

Aaron

AKA partymetroid

• Members

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

Tobias Daboi: A thousand years ago was the Middle Ages. Homo Sapiens were dominant at that time, and about 10,000 years before that.

Other than that, I'm staying completely away from this topic. *avoids touching with his hands* I don't know anything about this, and I don't want to get into the religious debates.

#17 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

guys, stop talking like everything you say is a fact. the Bible is not a history book. hell, it was put together from papers found in jars in a cave. the places and events may be accurate, but for all we know, it could be the earliest version of the Lord of the Rings

now, as for humans living for a thousand years, I have my doubts. people way back then could have lived on different substances, which delayed the aging process sigificantly. but even that is a bit of a stretch. I'd like to believe it, though

#18 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(Ccc @ Sep 20 2005, 04:43 PM)
Any one who believe the bible story's to be fact, has never read it.

So how about the millions of die hard christians out there? icon_razz.gif

#19 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Hooya!!!

• Members

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(venom343 @ Sep 20 2005, 02:18 PM)
Some are men of sciense and others of faith.

And then there's like me, a man of both science and of faith. If anyone wants to go with the gloves off, pm me.

#20 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

guys, stop talking like everything you say is a fact. the Bible is not a history book. hell, it was put together from papers found in jars in a cave. the places and events may be accurate, but for all we know, it could be the earliest version of the Lord of the Rings

This is one of the funniest things I've read all day icon_lol.gif Its also true.

Okay, here is how I feel about the bibble... I know that a person named Jesus may have existed since archiologal remains have been found, but that does not mean he's "magical". The stuff in the bibble is about 20% correct... All the magical; creation; Noah; Mosis hoo-ha is a load of crap, but the places/ etc. are fairly accurate to my knowlage (which is kinda limmeted on this particular subject...)

Why is everyone acting like this topic will be closed? I'm not going to make the mistake of starting a debate...

#21 Tatsudoshi

Tatsudoshi

Senior

• Members

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

I have a bit of a hard time believing that humans were able to live for thousands of years. Although I do belive in God, I do not take the Bible literally (but that's not the point of discussion).

Take my great grandma for example. She's about 95 years old, and at that age, you have a tendency to be very frail, although she's still pretty energetic for her age. She won't eat anything that has added chemicals, or high in sugar. If you took her age, and increased to 1,000, I highly doubt she could get up and walk, much less breathe.

And also back in earlier years (1400s I think), the life expectancy rate was around 40. People would get married and have kids by the age of 14. icon_blink.gif

You also have to consider that we didn't have too much knowledge of diseases and medicines. Around the time that Moses and Noah existed, it was believed that you had a demon running around your body if you were sick.

1,000 years seems like an agonizingly long time to be alive. Nature would eventually take it's toll on you. I mean, how many animals do you see living past 500 years? They generally don't eat or drink chemically-altered food, unless you count what's already been polluted. icon_shrug.gif

#22 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Hooya!!!

• Members

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(Tobias Daboi @ Sep 20 2005, 08:37 PM)
I'm not going to make the mistake of starting a debate...

Neither will I, for just when these topics get good, they close. I have offered for people to pm me if they believe teir information accurate.

#23 Ccc

Ccc

Adept

• Members

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:08 PM

Life is ruled by chance, when a predator goes after pray, its taking a chance, if it fails to get the pray, it wasted vital energy, when a gezel goes to drink from the Nile, its taking a chance, an crocodile could be just under the suffuse waiting for it to drink, when you drive down the road your taking a chance that some drunk isn't driving down the same road at 100 miles an hour.
Life is chance, nothing happens for a reason, even if God exists, this fact remains.

Edited by Ccc, 20 September 2005 - 10:09 PM.

#24 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(Tatsudoshi @ Sep 20 2005, 08:37 PM)
Take my great grandma for example. She's about 95 years old, and at that age, you have a tendency to be very frail, although she's still pretty energetic for her age. She won't eat anything that has added chemicals, or high in sugar. If you took her age, and increased to 1,000, I highly doubt she could get up and walk, much less breathe.

The aging process wouldn't be that fast if you lived that long...

Indeed Ccc

Edited by Master_of_Power, 21 September 2005 - 05:22 AM.

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE(the magical sword @ Sep 20 2005, 02:59 PM)
Yeah, but the bible is more accurate than our science or history books.  I mean, scientists believe that the world was
formed by chance (64 billion to 1).  I doubt our world formed by chance.

Tell me: how many planets are in the entire universe, total? I'm no astronomer, but I'm willing to bet there are more than 64 billion.

Actually... if your numbers are correct, they suggest to me that there could be more planets just like earth out there, right now. Not saying they'd have life on them, but perhaps oxygen and water and an atmosphere. icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(Fire Wizzrobe @ Sep 20 2005, 03:12 PM)
Any one who believe the bible story's to be fact, has never read it.

So how about the millions of die hard christians out there? icon_razz.gif

I think you would be shocked if you found out how many Christians have never read the Bible from cover to cover. Too many people treat it more like a dictionary than anything, at least in America they do.

QUOTE(Tobias Daboi @ Sep 20 2005, 07:37 PM)
Why is everyone acting like this topic will be closed? I'm not going to make the mistake of starting a debate...

Ohhhh, it's already a debate. icon_rolleyes.gif Just a friendly one, so far.

QUOTE(Tobias Daboi @ Sep 20 2005, 07:37 PM)

This is one of the funniest things I've read all day icon_lol.gif Its also true.

Hoo boy... what's even funnier than what you're thinking is that the part about Lord of the Rings is not entirely untrue. icon_wink.gif

My local church's 20-somethings discussion group recently had a class revolving around the Lord of the Rings. Tolkien wrote the trilogy as a sort of experiment: a narrative that might show how the truths of the Bible might materialize in a myth that had nothing to do with the Bible. He called it "True Myth" theory. It was something he discussed constantly with his friend and debate partner, C.S. Lewis.

So while Lord of the Rings is modern fiction, it was intended to be something that could have been exactly what Gashin is talking about...

QUOTE(Daniel @ Sep 20 2005, 02:27 PM)
I believe it is all true, and I'd rather not live that long I think 75 years is to long to suffer around other people.

EDIT: Here is a link that has links to the little conehead dudes. *Fart*

Okay, now here's something that bugs me, to put it mildly:

For people who claim to believe everything in the Bible, where in the Bible does it say that everything in the scripture is historically accurate, completely UNmetaphorically true, and -- most important of all -- immune to mistranslation?

The Bible was translated from one language, to another, and another, and another... and most of them weren't translated directly from the original "source" documents. Confusion has popped up everywhere as a result.

Take one example: in its original form, the Scripture did not refer to God with a gender-specific pronoun. Gender specification only started when the text was translated to Latin, a language which could not even function without gender-specific articles (such as "El" and "La" in Spanish). God as a "He" was a concept that came around semi-accidentally, hundreds of years after the Scripture was written.

And heck, many humans weren't out to translate the Bible word-for-word, anyway. The King James version, in particular, was created solely because one religious radical monarch wanted to re-translate the Bible in such a way that it would accept his own pre-existing Pagan beliefs. The Bible didn't claim it was immune to such distortions, so I'm not surprised to see that they exist today.

....Anyway, I don't see why the question of whether there were giants has any bearing whatsoever on one's beliefs. So, perhaps there were giants? I don't find it hard to believe. Giants are just really big people. icon_shrug.gif

The Bible will always be a document with a mixture of proven and unproven portions. Regardless of what you prove, there will always remain the one unprovable question of faith: do you believe in God, or not?... Since the Bible actually says that it'll always come down to that one belief, all the rest of the historical details seem less important to me, in comparison.

If God exists, he could make people live 1000 years without batting an eyelash. And he could make 12-foot tall giants just as easily as 5-foot tall humans. So in the end, the scientific and historic details of it are all just that, as far as I'm concerned: details.

#26 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(Hapkido Master @ Sep 20 2005, 10:25 PM)
And then there's like me, a man of both science and of faith. If anyone wants to go with the gloves off, pm me.

... ... I wubu Matt. user posted image icon_lol.gif

So awesome. What I really want to believe, is that a lot of the Bible -DID- Happen, and its evidence lies in the skeletons. Like, if they only find -ONE- skeleton that's about fifteen feet tall, and nine feet tall, ... then, bam, you've got Goliath, and Og, King of Bashan. That's quite a bit of proof for both sides right there. icon_razz.gif

Though, discovering these new bits of evidence, such as oddly misshapen skulls, is usually rather disturbing to the stability of my current place in time's vision of it all. But, meh ... I welcome change. icon_wink.gif icon_razz.gif

#27 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Hooya!!!

• Members

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Sep 21 2005, 08:11 AM)
... ... I wubu Matt. user posted image icon_lol.gif

icon_blink.gif

That's kinda creepy, Josh. But the green smiley makes up for it, so it's okay!

And Radien: The Bible is only our world's account. No one said He hasn't created other worlds. A personal belief, not contradicted within Christianity, but I have gotten some funny looks. Makes sense, though.

[EDIT] W00T!!! I AM NOW IN 1337dom!!!! Someone catch a screenshot of this, I'm at school.

Edited by Hapkido Master, 21 September 2005 - 01:09 PM.

#28 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 21 2005, 07:26 AM)
Tell me: how many planets are in the entire universe, total? I'm no astronomer, but I'm willing to bet there are more than 64 billion.

Well, they estimate that there's at least 1 billion trillion stars in the universe, let's start from there.
Read A Brief History of Time.

I strongly doubt that humans reached 1000 years. As for "Biblical Evidence", the bible has been proven wrong an incredible amount of times. My brother took a cource called "The Bible as History" last year in college in his Liberal Arts program. By the looks of it, just because of place names being the same, it's obvious that the stories aren't true. There are points in the Bible where people have camels in areas where camels have never set a foot (even now), there are battles mentioned in the book whose outcomes aren't the real ones, and many other things. It's a pity I couldn't take that cource, it seemed very interesting...

EDIT:
W00T!!! I AM NOW IN 1337dom!!!! Someone catch a screenshot of this, I'm at school.

Done. I'll PM it to you icon_smile.gif.

Edited by lord_jamitossi, 21 September 2005 - 01:40 PM.

#29 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

Yikes Radien don't kill me all I said was "I believe" it is true I didn't say it was true. icon_blink.gif

And I also said the link had another link on it to the conehead people that were brought up. I didn't say a word about giants I only gave that link because the conehead page might have had religious stuff on it and I was to errrr....lazy to click it icon_razz.gif. I just happened to have been on the giants page when I seen the link to the conehead dudes so I put it.

icon_lol.gif You misunderstood me.

#30 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:01 PM

I thought it was put together from ancient scrolls!? icon_freak.gif I quite doubt your statement. icon_frown.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users