Remaking old quests.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

Alright. You guys all know I have trouble finishing quests, or even getting far into them. I also suck at making original sprites. However, I am good at editing existing sprites or pallettes.

I was wondering if I should take that idea and use it with quests. Take an older, already-existing quest and remake it (with the original creator's consent, if possible). Should I try doing this?

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Yes, if a crappy quest's author gives permission, then only good can come of it. He... hey! What could you do with my Shadow Wars? EDIT: Not like it would be crappy, just it could be even better. You have my permission. Just give credit.

#3 KDillon

KDillon

Senior

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

i was thinking somewhere of the same thing and was gonig to post a thread on it
but im more good at taking quest made with classic tileset and remaking them with a better tileset

#4 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

If you get permission from the author first. Then of course it is okay. But for example, I wouldn't let anyone remake HoD, mostly because I don't think anyone can make it in my vision and my storyline.

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

Well, remaking with the hope of the remake being better than the original would pretty much require more tiles, combos, music and... DMaps. And so since HoD already maxed out the DMaps, there should be some rearranging. Deleting sidequests to make more dungeons? Merging some areas to make more sidequests? No. Remaking is for small quests. What I had in my mind is that Zmaster takes a questfile and starts to make the quest better. First fixing possible bugs. Then changing unappealing design. Then changing unappealing plot parts. Then making bosses custom. Then using DMaps space better and adding better variety of tiles and combos. THEN adding new areas. At this point, now that every element is bettered, it's possible to remove one element line and put a better one at it's place. This way the whole objective can be changed without distorts. A whole area with dungeon and NPCs can be swapped without the need of modifying others. This feeling isn't new to me... I felt the same when I bettered so many things in my quest that I could change an already made, well integrated part to a much much much MUCH better one.

#6 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

I meant build a "DX" version from the ground up, using the original as a reference. Kind of like what Nightmare in Dreamland did for Kirby's Adventure. Can't really think of a better analogy.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(zmaster @ Feb 10 2008, 05:07 PM) View Post

I meant build a "DX" version from the ground up, using the original as a reference. Kind of like what Nightmare in Dreamland did for Kirby's Adventure. Can't really think of a better analogy.

Yes, do it. I am currently doing that right now. I suggest you take a quest made with the classic tileset, and making it again in DoR, while changing some things.

#8 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

I've always sorta wanted to have this happen, glad a few people are up to it.

Anyway, you have my permission to do Heaven and Hell if you want. I'd love to see what that could be.

#9 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

I meant build a "DX" version from the ground up, using the original as a reference

That's the ticket! Russ is doing an End of Time remake, 'cause that's one of the best Classic Quests out there. You should do it on a Classic Quest and do it in Pure or DoR.

#10 Darth Pikachu

Darth Pikachu

Junior

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:33 PM

I thought about this but in a different way. ROM hacks, anyone? But I cant do that because the hack I am looking to remake has a dungeon that is 9x8 ( yes I didn't typo thats a 9) and Zelda Classic doesn't allow this in a map. Plus I never 'officially' got permission from the hack author. Plus hacking roms is illegal, I think.

#11 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Well, you can make a 9x8 dungeon in ZC, it just involves two maps and some well-placed side warps... icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, End of Time's a pretty good one. Molka's even better, but Schwa is already remaking it...where is Schwa, anyway?

Anyway...I was thinking of trying a quest that already has somewhat decent design, but isn't ginormous. As of now, I'm thinking Pure Quest or Doublevision, although I would have to find out Doublevision's password (In PQ you get the password when you beat it). But I'll take other ideas right now. I'm waiting for Radien to finalize DoR 2.0.

#12 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:09 AM

I think that's a great idea!!!! Personally i'm not really into making quests just playing them. I tried to get into making quests but couldn't get the true hang of it and gave up within the first month icon_frown.gif so yeah but i would love to see doublevision remade its already pretty fun and to see it better would be awesome!!!! icon_razz.gif

#13 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:11 AM

Shoelace shares my view on some remakes, especially the part on vision. Besides, I doubt there's (literally) any room for improvement for Hero of Dreams! icon_lol.gif

I probably wouldn't let anyone remake my Trinity Worlds quest. It's far from perfect, but I had a few remake ideas of my own, anyhow. Besides, the characters need their personalities to show.

I would like to see a 1- or 2-Star quest get remade, though. But, that's only if the quest creator flat-out doesn't care about the quest, anymore. I'm sure if someone had some sort of bond to his quest (I'm actually being serious.), he might rather remake the quest, himself.

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:47 AM

Here is the best thing to do: Have you and the original quest creator both remake the quest, and then compare them. It's neat to see how differently the creator and the player can interpit the quest. That is what Pineconn and I are doing with the quest End of Time. It's quite fun actually. In fact, that's what I was doing before I started posting and will be doing after I log off.

#15 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:02 AM

If you have permission of the quest author, then it's okay.

Still, I don't like the idea in general. The last few times someone has tried to make DX versions of old quests that are not their own, it has not turned out well... or turned out at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users