Hookshot Hanging

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Zelda and Pokémon Master •

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Well, I have a pretty good idea for a custom boss (I'll probably have someone script it for me icon_heh.gif ), but it requires that Link, while in 'side-view' mode, to hookshot to the ceiling, and then adjust his height while still being able to shoot his sword...

===BETTER EXPLANATION===

I need a script for a 'side-view' (not 'top-down') boss room, where the ceiling has hookshot-able crystals. I want Link to be able to face up, shoot his hookshot and grab a crystal. Once Link flies all the way up to the ceiling, I want Link NOT to let go of the hookshot (I still want Link to look like he is hanging, and I want the hookshot to stay connected and NOT disappear). I also NEED him to be able to extend or retract the hookshot as needed, allowing Link to move vertically. I also want the hookshot to let go when you press the hookshot button again. (It could be any button besides the sword button, really) Once the hookshot is released, I want Link to fall to the floor.

NOTE: Keep in mind that I don't want Link to fall to the floor when he is attacked, but I still want him to take damage. icon_razz.gif

===END of BETTER EXPLANATION===

Heh. Now that I write it out, it seems kinda complicated. icon_heh.gif

Is anyone brave enough to take the challenge? I'm sure that once (and if) this is made, it will become popular! (I would imagine, anyway...?)

I would have immense appreciation for any scripts that anyone can write! I'll try to help you (I'm not the best scripter, though)

I'll also make sure to add you to my Credits List for my quest!

#2 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

That sounds pretty cool. I wish I knew how to script. But I am suggesting to make an FFC for the crystal things on the ceiling.

#3 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

That sounds pretty cool. I wish I knew how to script. But I am suggesting to make an FFC for the crystal things on the ceiling.

Yeah! I'm still learning how to script...(I've never learned ASM or C or C++ before either...)

You can check in on the topic I started a while ago titled something like 'noobie need help'. That is pretty much where I got the footing for most of my scripting abilities. (They aren't much, though icon_heh.gif )

Also, check a couple of the tutorials at the top of the scripting discussion. Also, check the Wiki. It's a good reference.

Edited by AgentLym, 05 May 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#4 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

yeah its not a very firm foothold for a scripting noobie, but you got one of the best teachers here. joe tought me everything i know about scripting, basically. (except the little tricks i found on my own XD)

yes, i said it! joe is a scripting genious icon_razz.gif

however, i guess that would make c-dawg a scripting god... but eh. joe was my teacher so i have a little more good to say about joe =)

Edited by Master Maniac, 05 May 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#5 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

yeah its not a very firm foothold for a scripting noobie, but you got one of the best teachers here. joe tought me everything i know about scripting, basically. (except the little tricks i found on my own XD)

Yeah. It is thanks to Joe123 that I have even gotten as far as I am now! icon_razz.gif

But, this is getting off subject. I REALLY want this script made! icon_wink.gif

Please help me with this, ANYBODY!

Any help would be appreciated. Even a reply saying that you are not able to do it, I will accept! icon_razz.gif

Plus, this'll help in my scripting abilities!

(I just have to learn the 'order' of things in code... but I think I almost have it down. Then, just to learn ALL the possible functions and such... daunting. icon_unsettled.gif )

Edited by AgentLym, 05 May 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#6 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

actually, you could do it yourself. it shouldnt be too hard.

you just have to make an FFC for the hookshot chain. then have it hang from the ceiling at however high you want it, make link transparent, and have his movement stop when he reaches a certain coordinate. then you can have an FFC sprite to show him using the sword and whatnot while holding the bottom of your FFC chain.

#7 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

you just have to make an FFC for the hookshot chain. then have it hang from the ceiling at however high you want it, make link transparent, and have his movement stop when he reaches a certain coordinate. then you can have an FFC sprite to show him using the sword and whatnot while holding the bottom of your FFC chain.

Hm... I could probably do that. Although, I have a couple questions...

1) Why would I make Link transparent? Wait. You mean, make a FFC that looks like Link? Genious.

2) How would I make a FFC for the hookshot chain? Would I have to make a separate FFC for every block of chain? Part of the chain would have to disappear as Link goes above the aformentioned parts of the chain... Right?

Hm... I may attempt to make this... Although I'll need some guidance from someone good at scripting...

JOE!! icon_heh.gif

Edited by AgentLym, 05 May 2008 - 08:30 PM.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

I'll agree, Joe is amazing. He and I both tried to learn scripting at about the same time. Obviously, he greatly surpassed me. I can only do simple scripts, while he performs scripting miracles.

#9 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:59 PM

agent lym, no you will have the hookshot at a set distance. he will cling to the botom of the chain, which will become visible when the crystal is hit with the hookshot. tada!

#10 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

Man that sounds like a real cool idea ... I think it would be a really cool idea if you coud possibly use two hookshots in one weapon, like in Twilight Princess. Like that once you're hookshoted with one hookshot, you're allowed to fire a second in a different direction. Like in your sidescroller, you could have Link shoot up once, climb up a few tiles high, then shoot to the right and then detatch the first, and go towards the second target. icon_slycool.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

#11 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

This capability is in Zodiac. It's the custom hookshot script. I forget the name, but its in the downloads you can get already. Im still working on the behavior kinks, but it works. You stay attached to the target combo until you release both A and B. And you can fire the hookshot in 8 directions instead of just 4.

#12 Moldorm

Moldorm

Magus

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

I suggest that you change the Hookshot into a Clawshot. The only game where Link was able to hang on to a target with the Clawhot was Twilight Princess, and that makes more sense, since the Clawshot has, well, claws.

#13 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE(octorok @ May 5 2008, 11:06 PM) View Post

Man that sounds like a real cool idea ... I think it would be a really cool idea if you coud possibly use two hookshots in one weapon, like in Twilight Princess. Like that once you're hookshoted with one hookshot, you're allowed to fire a second in a different direction. Like in your sidescroller, you could have Link shoot up once, climb up a few tiles high, then shoot to the right and then detatch the first, and go towards the second target. icon_slycool.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I suggest that you change the Hookshot into a Clawshot. The only game where Link was able to hang on to a target with the Clawhot was Twilight Princess, and that makes more sense, since the Clawshot has, well, claws.

Heh. Sure! icon_thumbsup.gif

This capability is in Zodiac. It's the custom hookshot script. I forget the name, but its in the downloads you can get already. Im still working on the behavior kinks, but it works. You stay attached to the target combo until you release both A and B. And you can fire the hookshot in 8 directions instead of just 4.

Zodiac? Where/what is that? I'll google it. And search AGN.

#14 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

You've so totally gotta get a demo for the use of the clawshot and script, or just take screens of it in use. I'd like to see this work out for you. icon_naughty.gif

#15 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Heh. I really hope I can get this to work, too! icon_biggrin.gif

====EDIT====

Well, I got the script off of Zodiac... but there are about 200 (it seems like) scripts in the whole thing!

C-Dawg, are you sure you don't remember what the name of the hookshot script was? I found one called 'follow chain' and another called 'grapple beam', and I'm still looking for others (although the 'grapple beam' sounds promising)

Edited by AgentLym, 06 May 2008 - 03:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users