Photo

Star Wars Quest & Science-Fiction Quests?

star science fiction futuristic space travel star wars doctor who stargate dune quest

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

I've seen a quest based on Lexx in the past, and some abandoned projects  also based on other science fiction (including a quest base on Doctor Who, that I lament, was never finished); however, I've noticed recently (reading Star Wars novels) that I don't recall a quest set in the SW universe, with the player, playing a Jedi (or Sith).

Did I miss one; did one ever exist?

Other than CIS (a brilliant game), what other science-fiction quests can you suggest? 

#2 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Dr. Wily's Revenge

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

Really? I overlooked that, as I thought it was a joke quest.

Shockingly, there is a SW game, that was recently featured, but is actually rather old, that I somehow missed. I suspect that my mention is why it's now featured, and that;s a good thing.

#4 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Why would you think Dr. Wily's Revenge is a joke quest? It's one of the most popular quests here.

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

I'm not quite sure: I seem to associate extra-game fan tie-ins with non-serious material, such as Eddy's Amy Rose series... That doesn't make the games inherently bad, but it's difficult to consider a game like that (based on the Sonic series, in Zelda style) as having an adult-minded story. Perhaps it's just the notion of any true story set in the world of Rockman, which has always ben an action-based game series. [ Good ] science-fiction, is aimed at an intellectual audience.

Star Wars isn't the best example, these days, but it serves as a good starting point, and an anchor for people to suggest games. I'm not sure how many people here have read work by Frank Herbert, Arthur C. Clarke, or Douglas Adams, so asking for that kind of material isn't going to receive many answeers. (This topic has already entered the livormortis phase, even referencing a generally universally-known canon.)

I never associate popularity, with good storytelling. People often either overrate, or underrate games, focusing on graphics, over story; and seemingly giving high praise to quasi-Kaizo difficulty, or irrational solutions. I often entirely ignore DB ratings, especially with the hideous trend of ranking a game based n personal feelings regarding the game designer (whether they be good, or ill).

That notwithstanding, there are a few highly-rated, praised, bits of pure rubbish here IMO, and conversely, some nigh-ignored, and spectacular gems.

The main attraction to science fiction, to me, is in storytelling; coupled with a break from the normal, Hyrule plugged, fanfiction. After a while, it all starts to blend together. There are only so many ways to collect a triforce, save a girl, fight the same bosses, and use the same items; and without a compelling, original story, it's just another trek through the same tale.

(One thing that I don't want, is a game based around difficult, tedious, or absurd enemy spams, or cheap gimmicks.)

Something with technology in it, is refreshing, even if it's just an alternative take on the old. I'll eventually try the game, but if it's sickeningly difficult, has no real story, or has CC bosses, or Lost Isle anger levels, I'll likely quit halfway through. At present, I have Eiyuu to complete, so this is for the future, but I'd like to see what compelling games I may've missed.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 10 August 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#6 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

I think you'd really like MM:DrWR. It has a cool story. IMO the story is more akin to the X or Zero series.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

Eh... personally, I felt DWR had pretty sloppy storytelling that ultimately boiled down to bad fanfiction. And given that a large segment of it is collect the triforce, save the girl, I think it's the exact opposite of what Zoria's looking for.

As far as storytelling goes in ZC, most people don't make it too high of a priority; the story exists solely to push the gameplay in most cases. Eiyuu probably has the best storytelling of any ZC game I've played.

#8 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Stories in ZC are trash, the only stories that I liked were Golvellius, The Hero's Memory and LQFTH2 (Yeah, I'm pretty sure even Moosh doesn't know this). IoR is decent but not memorable, and Lost Isle-Dr.Wily's Revenge both rules because of the amazing dark atmosphere, but their stories suck. 

Edited by Air Luigi, 10 August 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

Russ, on 10 Aug 2014 - 8:11 PM, said:
Eh... personally, I felt DWR had pretty sloppy storytelling that ultimately boiled down to bad fanfiction. And given that a large segment of it is collect the triforce, save the girl, I think it's the exact opposite of what Zoria's looking for.

As far as storytelling goes in ZC, most people don't make it too high of a priority; the story exists solely to push the gameplay in most cases. Eiyuu probably has the best storytelling of any ZC game I've played.

I also have to agree here, and that is precisely why I ignore so many games. My own goal focuses on story in a very deep manner; and as to Eiyuu: is it any wonder that of all the games I set aside time to play, I choose that: ;)

The sad fact is, teople focus too much on pretty screens, with no consideration to bringing their world to life.

My own game is a gigantic story, with branching paths, ad causality. That's the prime reason that it's taking so bloody long to implement. I anticipate over 100-hours of play. I do focus on both story, and immersion...

People in general, are in too much of a hurry to release shovelware, IMO.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 10 August 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#10 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:06 PM

I also have to agree here, and that is precisely why I ignore so many games. My own goal focuses on story in a very deep manner; and as to Eiyuu: is it any wonder that of all the games - set aside time to play, I choose that: ;)

The sad fact is, teople focus too much on pretty screens, with no consideration to bringing their world to life.

Totally true. But there are some honored exceptions of lively worlds in ZC.

*The Hero of Dreams, with his charming music, villages and npcs, very interactive quest. That's the real deal. There are a lot of quests now that surpasses easily HoD in dungeon design, but all of them forgot about the lively world...

*Megaman:Dr.Wily's Revenge, attention to detail in this quest is still unmatched by any quest. Futuristic setting, big cities with interactive npcs... There are a sense of time flow.

*Link To Tortuga has a city that evolves after every dungeon and is a joy to explore after every dungeon.

None of these have a good story, but they have amazing (interactive) worlds to explore. All of them are old quests.

The upcoming "The Islands of Zelda" is very good also in "interactive world terms"

Edited by Air Luigi, 10 August 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#11 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

Calling stories trash is like calling the game itself along with its world and characters like Link trash. Calling only worlds good is hypocritical. Stories will always be there as an important factor of any game or quest no matter the visibility. There has to be a reason why you're playing the game, why you're this guy or that guy and why you're here and going over there. Stories can also interact with gameplay, screen/map design and music. While most ZC quests don't pull that of, it's because it isn't required. But I would like to have my story wrap its arms around those game design aspects too.

I'm going for a in depth story quest, my quest is already called garbage, so I don't mind my story being called trash.

Edited by Shane, 11 August 2014 - 05:14 AM.

• Eddy and Haylee like this

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

I'm not quite sure: I seem to associate extra-game fan tie-ins with non-serious material, such as Eddy's Amy Rose series... That doesn't make the games inherently bad, but it's difficult to consider a game like that (based on the Sonic series, in Zelda style) as having an adult-minded story.

I assure you the Amy Rose series was serious enough :P If I did make a joke quest, it would've been a lot smaller and shorter than those 2 games.

#13 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Calling stories trash is like calling the game itself along with its world and characters like Link trash. Calling only worlds good is hypocritical. Stories will always be there as an important factor of any game or quest no matter the visibility. There has to be a reason why you're playing the game, why you're this guy or that guy and why you're here and going over there. Stories can also interact with gameplay, screen/map design and music. While most ZC quests don't pull that of, it's because it isn't required. But I would like to have my story wrap its arms around those game design aspects too.

I'm going for a in depth story quest, my quest is already called garbage, so I don't mind my story being called trash.

I understand perfectly your point.
The thing that I don't like with the stories in ZC is that usually authors don't know how to tell the stories. The problem it's not the story content itself. I really don't care much if I like the atmosphere, music and the design in the quest. I complain about stories in ZC because I like stories, and I can tell easily if a game has a bad story. When I see depth stories in ZC, they are full of bad and unnecessary writing.

If you go with a deep story, it's perfectly fine. The point is, that you need to be Shigesato Itoi or something close to please me with a depth story. And that's hard xD Maybe you are good writing stories, I don't know. But as I said, I play ZC because I love to explore worlds and dungeons. Usually the best way to make something good with the story in ZC, it's to go with a simplistic lighthearted touching story.

Edited by Air Luigi, 11 August 2014 - 10:57 AM.

• strike likes this

#14 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Air Luigi is right. Most ZC stories are bad because most stories are bad. Writing good stories is something only a few people can do, but is what everyone thinks he can do.

Edited by anikom15, 11 August 2014 - 11:21 AM.

• Air Luigi likes this

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Fair enough. I never denied some stories in ZC are bad though.

I don't think you'll like my stories then. I like to follow writers like Kiyoshi Shigematsu and reference the pre-XIII Final Fantasy games when developing stories.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star science fiction, futuristic, space, travel, star, wars, doctor who, stargate, dune, quest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users