Insomnia.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

My insomnia has been slowly getting worse. When I was still in school I wouldn't fall asleep until around 2 in the morning, even if I was really trying. Now I don't get to sleep before four or five and I still wake up before twelve.

Last night I didn't sleep at ALL. I've officially been awake for 28 hours and its starting to piss me off. Even if I just lie in my bed for hours I just end up not falling asleep and just boring myself.

Any tips on actually falling asleep? I don't want to start taking pills because you can get addicted to them or become fully depedent on them and it will be impossible to sleep without them.

#2 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

Just drink a little booze or something. Or do something thats really boring, like reading or something.

#3 Sprotret

Sprotret

What do you mean I don't believe in god?

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

Damn your insomnia is worse than mine. I can lie in my bed for hours trying hard to fall asleep I either imagine up an anime, think about an awesome quest, or just stare at the walls. The last one usually doesn't work, I suggest you listen to some music, no screamo, that'll wake you in the middle of the night.

Edited by Spiro, 06 July 2007 - 01:06 PM.

#4 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

I've tried writing, reading, music, playing video games until my eyes go bulgy, walking around my house, eating, drinking. Nothing really works except staying awake until my body forces myself to sleep.

Sometimes I do seem to get tired at other peoples houses, but it depends on what house and if they sleep better then me. I remember going over to a friends house not too long ago and he was fast asleep by 3 and I was awake as if it was daytime. It was bad since I couldn't really do anything in somebody else's house.

#5 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Ok so just go out and get tons of exercise, that always makes me tired. Just like go swimming or biking or something all day. That'll put you to sleep.

#6 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Evan the great @ Jul 6 2007, 02:23 PM) View Post

Ok so just go out and get tons of exercise, that always makes me tired. Just like go swimming or biking or something all day. That'll put you to sleep.

Yep. If you don't use enough energy during the day, your body won't really need the sleep as much, and you'll find it harder to fall asleep.

#7 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

Sometimes it's tempting to plan out your quests and whatnot in bed (I used to do it all the time), but I found that the less I thought about anything--the more I cleared my mind--the easier it was to rest. There's also a mental trick you can do that helped me TREMENDOUSLY. Tell yourself while in bed that you're probably getting enough sleep as it is. The tendency is to stress about not getting sleep, and of course that stress keeps you up for longer. So it may sound counterintuitive, but don't worry about sleeping while you're in bed. One final trick I have is to count backwards from 1,000 in your head, breathing in on the even numbers and out on the odd. To show it's effectiveness, I can tell you that I have never reached 0 before falling asleep.

I used to have pretty bad insomnia like you seem to have, but it got so much better over the years (I'm thinking part of it is an age-related thing). The final words I have to say are to not expect anything to work. You can't tell yourself, "Oh, I should be getting sleepy by listening to this music, but I'm not getting sleepy. Get sleepy, body, dammit!" because the stress will keep you up. Just stay as worry-free as possible. Try it. I implore you. icon_wink.gif

Edited by nicklegends, 06 July 2007 - 02:00 PM.

#8 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

I'll try your 1000 countdown sometime soon. I think I'll probably be ok since I didn't sleep at all last night, but I will try that sometime soon.

#9 Sprotret

Sprotret

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

I know this sounds stupid but you should try running in place for 30 minutes. That'll probably get you tired.

#10 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

Listen to relaxing classical music. It works for me! icon_deformed.gif

#11 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

Well I got to sleep barely after midnight last night because of no sleep the night before, and I have friends coming over tonight so it won't be boring because now I'm not tired.

Hopefully it's just a phase that will pass with ageing but I really hope this doesn't continue for very long.

#12 Sprotret

Sprotret

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Comix @ Jul 7 2007, 06:42 PM) View Post

Well I got to sleep barely after midnight last night because of no sleep the night before, and I have friends coming over tonight so it won't be boring because now I'm not tired.

Hopefully it's just a phase that will pass with ageing but I really hope this doesn't continue for very long.

My parents say it's spending too much time on the computer, playing video games, or watching TV too much. I don't know if that's true or not, but I can sometimes sleep and when I do it's NIGHTMARE time!

#13 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

You could take some melatonin. It doesn't work very well with me but it still helps. You can get it at most pharmacies.

#14 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

Well I was up to 6 last night again. I ended up just watching a really boring movie and when I finished it I felt a little tired to I tried getting to sleep and it didn't take more then half an hour.

I think I'll try some of that melatonin, I've read up on it before for lucid dreaming and it helps in a lot of ways other then sleeping.

#15 MarioBrosCom

MarioBrosCom

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

All it really takes is two words: Moby Dick. Read a bit of that book each night (preferably one of the older, non-reader-friendly editions) and watch as it puts you right to sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users