4 New BBCodes + 1 Modified BBCode!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hey everyone, last night I was checking around in the Admin Control Panel, and I came across something I never game much thought about whenever I had seen it before. There is a section that allows for Custom BBCodes to be added for use on the forums. I originally had an idea for adding a Rainbow Text BBCode, but couldn't find the HTML Replacement Code for it, but I did come across a different BBCode that caught my interest. That would be the Marquee, if you haven't noticed in my signature. Well, I added it and checked it out, and found it to be a little fast, so I slowed it down a little bit. But then I had though, perhaps people would want the choice between different speeds, so that's where I got the idea to add 2 more to the choice, one being slower, and the other being faster. So now you have 3 different speeds of the Marquee BBCode to be used. I do ask that they be used sparingly though, and probably not to post a whole topic with. But that's enough talking, here they are...
CODE
[marquee=color]Text Here[/marquee]
[marquee/slow=color]Text Here[/marquee/slow]
[marquee/fast=color]Text Here[/marquee/fast]
I might add 2 more speeds to it yet, and superslow, and a superfast, but that's still just an idea. Here is the example of each for you...

This is an example of the marquee/slow bbcode.[/marquee/slow]

[marquee=#DDDD00]This is an example of the marquee bbcode.

This is an example of the marquee/fast bbcode.

Well, there you go, I hope they end up coming in useful to you. icon_biggrin.gif

I had also found a replacement for our spoiler tags that look a little more clean cut, hope you like em. icon_biggrin.gif

Spoiler

Just added a new BBCode that Bengal suggested, which is shadow!!
CODE
[shadow=black]Text here.[/shadow]

Disclaimer: Abuse, or overuse by any given person may result in any of these New BBCodes getting removed. They need to be used sparingly. Thank you.

#2 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

I was wondering how you did that. icon_razz.gif

Awesome. I think I might implement something similar into my signature, but probably not. I guess I'm 'over' this whole userbar thing. XD But I'm sure I'll find some other silly use for it. icon_razz.gif

#3 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

COOOOOOL

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Oh look, that's kind of cool!
I don't think I'll be using it in my signature myself,
as I prefer signatures not to be harder to read,
but I can easily see myself playing around with it every now and then,
in posts or whatever. Nice find.

#5 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

Didn't we have this awhile ago?
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.[/marquee/slow]
Or maybe i was somewhere else.[/marquee/fast]
[marquee=color]Eitherway this is going to be the best thread ever.
[marquee=color]
Zoom Zoom
It's like a sausage race in my post
Weeeee

#6 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:44 PM

In case you didn't notice the topic title, or first post after I made this, I have also completely changed the Spoiler tags to look a bit more clean cut. icon_smile.gif

#7 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

Marquee was supposed to have died years ago, along with embedded midi and the rest of the terrible garbage that plagued geocities pages of the early 2000s.

Why have you done this.

Why.

...I do like the new spoiler tags, though.

#8 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(Snarwin @ Nov 16 2010, 03:47 PM) View Post

Marquee was supposed to have died years ago, along with embedded midi and the rest of the terrible garbage that plagued geocities pages of the early 2000s.

Why have you done this.

Why.

...I do like the new spoiler tags, though.

Mmmmmm, embedded midi. icon_biggrin.gif That's a great idea! Thanks! icon_razz.gif If anyone has any suggestions, I would be happy to consider adding it. icon_smile.gif

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

So all the old spoiler tags got converted to the new ones automatically, and we can still use the old ones? Neat. Useful? Probably not. But neat. The moving text is kind of cool, but I'm gonna get really annoyed if everybody starts using it.

#10 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

That's pretty cool Angeal, but what if you want to do it in the opposite direction?

#11 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

^pwn'd

Nifty update. :3 My eyes hurt from trying to read the replies on the thread, but nifty update. haha

#12 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 16 2010, 04:00 PM) View Post

So all the old spoiler tags got converted to the new ones automatically, and we can still use the old ones? Neat. Useful? Probably not. But neat. The moving text is kind of cool, but I'm gonna get really annoyed if everybody starts using it.

Actually, yeah, all the old ones are converted to the new spoiler tags. I made sure they would take over. I made a new tag to show the old spoiler tag, and will remove it once this thread gets old enough, and the scrolling text needs to be used very sparingly, otherwise there will be the chance that it gets removed.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

I gave the thumbs up elsewhere, so I'll do it here. Also yes, the new spoiler tags are great. I think the old ones were kinda buggy anyway... Sometimes, depending on content, they wouldn't show up at all. O_o

#14 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

It's like 1998 all over again!!! dude guise √ out my geocities plz sine my gestbook!!11

I'm surprised that browsers still support elements like <blink> and <marquee> ... they're so ... antiquated.

Now ... something that would apply a basic black text shadow ...

CODE
<span style="text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #000;">TEXT!</span>

... could be useful for posts where you want to post subheadings or things. Or set it up as 0px 0px 3px #color and you could have glowy text or something. I dunno.

Embedded files (even something seemingly innocuous) could open up a boatload of security holes, though. I would have to heavily recommend to the staff NOT to do something like that.

Edited by Bengal, 16 November 2010 - 06:48 PM.

#15 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Bengal @ Nov 16 2010, 05:45 PM) View Post

It's like 1998 all over again!!! dude guise √ out my geocities plz sine my gestbook!!11

I'm surprised that browsers still support elements like <blink> and <marquee> ... they're so ... antiquated.

Now ... something that would apply a basic black text shadow ...

CODE
<span style="text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #000;">TEXT!</span>

... could be useful for posts where you want to post subheadings or things. Or set it up as 0px 0px 3px #color and you could have glowy text or something. I dunno.

Embedded files (even something seemingly innocuous) could open up a boatload of security holes, though. I would have to heavily recommend to the staff NOT to do something like that.

Yeah, that would definitely be a neat one to add to the mix. But no, embedding things won't happen. If someone wants to show off a midi, then they can do what they always have done. icon_smile.gif Don't worry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users