• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Jun 18 2008, 02:20 PM) View Post

... you could, as suggested, call yourself SephirothPZC... Couldn't you?...

I refuse to downgrade my name to that of an AOL style name by attaching letters, numbers, or anything else to the beginning or the end of my name.

#32 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

and I happen to be an administrator here. I do not want new members that pop into chat thinking Matti is me
That Sephiroth isn't an AOP or SOP in the channel. People will wonder who Meta_Knight or Mew will be. Then you tell them it's you. Then they'll know it's you. O.o

#33 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jun 18 2008, 02:54 PM) View Post

That Sephiroth isn't an AOP or SOP in the channel. People will wonder who Meta_Knight or Mew will be. Then you tell them it's you. Then they'll know it's you. O.o

While that is doable, if I was to get the name, it would save everyone a lot of hassle. X x

#34 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Grow up, please.

#35 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

I propose that we ban exact character names from the site. Thus, no Cloud, no Sephiroth, no Meta Knight, no Link, no Kirby... you get my drift. That would save everybody the spilled milk and confusion. icon_smile.gif

#36 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(Wild Bill @ Jun 18 2008, 08:51 PM) View Post

I propose that we ban exact character names from the site. Thus, no Cloud, no Sephiroth, no Meta Knight, no Link, no Kirby... you get my drift. That would save everybody the spilled milk and confusion. icon_smile.gif

Along with that, we may want to ban real life names as well. No more Matts, Nicks, or Bills. icon_smile.gif

#37 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

I think peoples' usernames are too long and complex. I believe that all usernames with a length greater than eight characters should be truncated, and all non-alphanumeric characters stripped.

Thus, LinktheMaster would become "LinktheM", Wild Bill would become "WildBill", Sephiroth would become "Sephirot", Ramblin' Evil Mushroom would become "RamblinE", etc.

What do you think?

#38 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

Everyone's names should be shortened to four characters and begin with N.

#39 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(Noir @ Jun 18 2008, 10:56 PM) View Post

I'd have to take "Nude" before someone else, then.

#40 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:15 AM

"Noom" sounds good.

But in all seriousness. I'll try to pop back into chat on Wednesday, I may have some time.

Sephiroth, there is a difference between your real name and your internet name. While I probably wouldn't appreciate if someone went around posing as Moonwhisper, if it was purely accidental, I would not mind. You don't exactly have the most original name, and hey, mine's from the player's guide of DND.

#41 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:57 AM

My god. Internets drama? On my PureZC? Say it ain't so.

QUOTE(Sephiroth @ Jun 18 2008, 04:04 PM) View Post
While that is doable, if I was to get the name, it would save everyone a lot of hassle. X x
Except, you know, the other person who goes by Sephiroth. And everyone who knows him by that name. Honestly, your entire argument boils down to "I'm a more important person than he is, so I should get to waltz in and take his nick." Which is just a bit unreasonable, at least from where I'm standing.

Seriously, it's an IRC nick--it's not that big of a deal. Appending a couple of letters to it so that other people will recognize you isn't going to somehow make you worth less as a human being. Other people do it all the time; do you think any less of them for it?

I'm sorry if that's a bit blunt, but I really don't see why you're so attached to this whole "matching names" thing.

#42 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jun 18 2008, 11:29 PM) View Post

Along with that, we may want to ban real life names as well. No more Matts, Nicks, or Bills. icon_smile.gif
Hey now, woah now icon_razz.gif

I think it's unreasonable to expect someone else, who has just as legitimate reasons to have the nick as you do, to give it up in order to fulfill your sense of entitlement. Threatening to take your bally home because you're not getting your way isn't the right way to deal with the situation! Clearly Matti wants to keep the name, so now you need to find a compromise. Your move. icon_neutral.gif

#43 Dani

Dani

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(Noir @ Jun 19 2008, 12:26 PM) View Post

Four-letter nicks ftw.

Edited by Dani, 19 June 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#44 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

E-drama. Don't you just love it icon_frown.gif

Admittedly, I'm happy I got Koopa there but I'd have gone with Koopie too were it necessary. I know it's hard on Sephiroth as that name is, for him, quite an essential part of his online identity.

Whatever the current "rights" to that name are ... I feel it's unnecesary to be unnecessarily mean to Sephiroth/Meta_Knight here or in chat about it.

#45 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

Look, a rare reply from Stungun! Yeah. I figured I'd drop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain things.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Sephiroth, but yeah. You might want to drop your pride for a minute here. If someone had my name and I went to that network, I'd just switch to Stungun_wol. I use that nickname commonly whenever the original Stungun is taken; MapleStory, Gmail, some forums and other online games. You name it. While I like using my original name, this is just something you're gonna have to cope with. As the others have voiced, it isn't fair to deny a native their own name.

How would you like it if you were still on Initialized, and some other forum's chatroom moved over and one of the members who also used "Sephiroth" as a screenname demanded you give up your name on the server to avoid confusion? Think about it.

Edited by Stungun, 20 June 2008 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users