• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

Derisory Substance has been removed.

Spam not only spilled out from that forum onto other areas of the site, but also encouraged some people to join only to post spam there. Well - it's gone now, and those people can find another site to spam up. There are a wide variety of other reasons why the forum was removed -- too many to go into detail here. But we have determined that this is for the good of PureZC. We've been encountering what some have called a sickness in our community, and the presence of DS was a large contributor to that. THIS IS NOT A PUNISHMENT!!!

The forum may come back, but not for a very, very long time, as it has been proven that certain people cannot handle it.

We knew beforehand that this would not be a popular decision for many. If you have complaints, we'll still listen as long as you can express yourself civilly.

#2 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

Good decision, hopefully this will teach some people to smarten up and make this a better place.

#3 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

icon_frown.gif

It's sad to see something like this go. But I really must ask you to consider your logic. It has been proven 99 times out of 100 that posts in DS are harmless little blurbs. I won't name anyone , but if you frequent DS you'll know who I'm referring to. There are people who will, as ShadowTiger pointed out, just test the limits for the heck of it... but why would the rest of the responsible members be penalized for it? It's like removing a bathroom because of graffiti- in the end, the people who did it are still there and probably really happy with the results, and everyone else just gets more pissed off.

#4 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

I HAVE ONE THING TO SAY TO YOU

good job.

I agree that DS was becoming a um, bad place I guess. It was part of the problem and it had to be removed. A lot of people won't like it but hey, there are hundreds of sites that get along without it! and to all those people who are gonna say "But where will i post random crap" just get a piece of paper, wright it down and show you friends.

I congratulate the staff for this expert decision

#5 Phoenix Fable

Phoenix Fable

Adept

• Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

Geez I cant remember the last time DS was taken off. Well lets hope that people wont spam anymore

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

I want to add to what Noir has said just to clear some things up. There was once a time when Derisory Substance was something completely different. If the user "Echelon" rings a bell, you would most likely understand. It's not nearly as funny as it used to be, and has been the cause of a lot of problems not only today, but consistently within the last year to say the least.

I think we can do without the forum. The first 2-3 years of PureZC had no Derisory Substance forum, and the site managed to grow without it. In fact, it grew well without it. While it may be fun at times, sometimes that fun can come to other peoples' expense, and that has been happening a lot. PureZC doesn't need it, and it can easily be done elsewhere, bringing as many friends as you wish. If it gets to a point where a board where spamming is allowed causes more trouble than good in a community, it is probably better to do without it. For those who are disappointed, I am sure you can find a way to manage getting along with other people without it. After all, it doesn't truly represent what PureZC is. We are a resource site for Zelda Classic. While we should have the freedom to talk about a lot of other things, I don't think the absence of DS will be all that hurtful toward that freedom.

I would also like to note that we didn't delete the forum. We simply hid it away in a private archive. So all those topics still exist, but they are just hidden from view. We will consider archiving some of the topics publically for recognition, and perhaps sort out certain topics that still deserve to be posted in, such as the #PureZC Quotes thread. We might be making other decisions too, which are best made while the forum is closed.

#7 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

I must say, I never really do tread into DS. Honestly, the threads there are substance-less, and while it might be nice to have, it really didn't make any contribution to the forum. I think that this will quell some of that "sickness" members are starting to talk about, as well as help people think of more thoughtful posts. icon_smile.gif

#8 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Hm. I don't know what to think, because while I generally stayed clear of DS, I didn't see its harm on the community as a whole. Perhaps the positive consequences of its removal will become a bit more evident over time, but for the moment, I must say, I'm a bit perplexed.

I have no choice but to trust you guys. We'll see how it works out, for better or worse, after the difficult transition we face right now.

#9 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

I miss PureZC back in 2005. It was actually more fun then. Do you think you can stop the influx and bring back the old ways?

#10 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

I'm sad to see it go, but it was a necessary move indeed.

#11 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

Aaaargh! NOES!! icon_cry.gif I'm shattered.

Well, there goes my fun and games. It probably does give people like me another thing to do instead of posting in DS all the time. As long as the Pink Floyd Reference Topic is okay, I'm all smiles. icon_smile.gif Takuya is right. We probably need some more thoughtful posts from those who post in DS frequently. eg. me. I

But nevertheless, it's like taking a toy away from a bad child. The evil members who spam in DS are the bad children and DS is the toy being taken away. It'll do PureZC a whole lot of good. I hope.

#12 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ Jan 29 2008, 11:35 PM) View Post

Aaaargh! NOES!! icon_cry.gif I'm shattered.

Boards all over the net get by fine without spam dumps. The whole board is a privilege, but DS made everything else almost look like a right.

and that's all I'm gonna say in response. If this thread gets swatted like a fly I'll have nothing to do with it.

#13 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:53 AM

Echelon was the true king of DS. His absense had made everyone try to be funny, but many failed.

Edited by Magi, 30 January 2008 - 02:04 PM.

#14 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:18 AM

When I logged on, the forum page looked short, and I thought maybe something had gone wrong with the forums. It was a good idea, especially looking at the DS in the past.

#15 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:40 AM

I tried to contact Valerie, but she's very hard to come by. Easy to find, but hard to communicate to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users