• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:36 AM

Part 1

I had forgotten just how hard the original Fun in the Sun was.  How nice of the sequel to so promptly remind me.

• Lüt likes this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

Huh, this must have been recorded a while back? This quest got updated last week. :v

#3 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

Yeah, I believe I got the updated version before I recorded part 3, though I don't know what's different about it.

#4 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

Oh yay, Agony in the Sun 2. Can't wait to share in yet another poor LPer's suffering :P

You're actually doing pretty good. I think I had a 204 death count by the time I finished Level 3.

Basically, the entire thing is an exercise in leaving one enemy alive.

And for long-time players, it's also an exercise in learning how deeply playing habits become ingrained. I spent over 20 years playing ZC with a shield, so all I could ever do in this is stand in front of oncoming projectiles and die when I ended up not blocking them. No matter how times I sat there consciously telling myself "move," lifetime instinct always took over. Same with all the enemies that now block the boomerang.

I also found Level 2 first. And Level 3 before Level 1. Might be why I died even more than most people.

I eventually got hung up around Levels 6 and 7 and set the quest aside, but I may consider giving the new version a try. The quest page doesn't list any differences for the updated version, and though there's a text file with version numbers, they aren't dated, and the quest page doesn't indicate a version number, so I'll just assume v1.5 is the latest version, in which case:

-Hopefully this is the last pass of difficulty lowering I will ever have to do for this quest, as I've only learned more and more about what's a fair challenge and what's overwhelming. Seriously from 1.0 to 1.5 I've probably removed about a quarter of total enemies in this game, and several rooms have been edited from their original pass.

-Furthermore, someone who has a decent eye for color choices played this quest and called me out for being really bad at making palettes. He's given me some good edits which have been incorporated into the great. Thanks Luna!
-Once upon a time there were some ridiculously hard to get secrets that you practically had to trial & error to find. Those have been looked over, and the secrets that were just there to implement prizes that weren't factored in to the overall difficulty curve of the quest has been abolished, instead replaced by lesser prizes. This makes getting 100% items easier, keeps the secrets in, and makes them easier to find and figure out.

Oh, and you passed by something big in Level 1.

But, it's not necessary until later, and I suppose you didn't have the items to access it anyway. Heads up though, because the hint made absolutely zero sense.

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

Basically the main differences are:
Less eye straining palettes in the Plains and Mountain area. (Maybe some minor changes in other areas too(?)).
The removal of a few really awkward overworld secrets.
Some difficulty balancing(?). (I have not touched this since the update so I don't know exactly what).

#6 Darkmatt

Darkmatt

Pastel Heart

• Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

I probably missed a spot here and there, but yeah, the first couple parts will be outdated, though I'm looking at my cheat sheet now and there hasn't been a terrible lot new in the first few minutes of the game. The biggest things going for it was the western forest being closed off by a burnable tree, being able to reach Level 1's screen without having to go up or down, and I think there may have been less black Moblins you could bump into if you stayed in the central part of the Forest.

Something I didn't do is improve the intro info hut, which doesn't give the best of advice. There are a couple info strings that are now much, much clear with their hint, or just replaced outright with something better. (No more zonk prize for an info) However that's for later, and the intro hut went untouched.

Smart me would've had the hut point exactly where to go, but I elected for a safety tree instead. Oh well, I figure the beginning of the game is getting an idea of the overworld and getting enough money for a shield anyway.

#7 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:08 PM

Part 2

You know you're in for a rough time when the dungeon itself is out for your blood.

#8 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

Part 3

In a world as dangerous as this one, wandering around randomly can be a scary proposition.

#9 Darkmatt

Darkmatt

Pastel Heart

• Members

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

Ding ding ding. Here's a friendly update that this quest has been updated to 1.51, as of hopefully a couple hours from now.

A pass was done on all the block secrets in the quest to make them easier to find. I cannot confidently say it's complete, but it will be far less obtuse now.

#10 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

Part 4

Just wandering around at random like a proper Zelda player should.

#11 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

Part 5

Darn it boomerang, why must so many enemies be immune to you?!

#12 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

Part 6

Facing difficult obstacles makes you feel that much better when they are overcome.

#13 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:10 PM

Part 7

I have seen the future, and I am afraid.

#14 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:16 PM

Part 8

I could have left this place half-explored, but where's the fun in that?

#15 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:29 PM

Part 9

Goodness knows I can be oblivious on the best of days, but it's nice for the game to help things along.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ZC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users