Photo

An Update About Some Updates (+ New Things)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

(Fun Fact: This is my 9,999th post! Wow!)

First thing's first, let's start off by showing the final update for the overworld. I believe it's at its personal best. Feel free to give your thoughts, but I will no longer adjust the overworld accordingly. I will keep mental notes for future projects however.

tktZrFP.png

Next, I'd like to show some minor updates regarding houses/interiors. Have some new (and one updated) interior screens!

wYM6JFN.png gG5qMdT.png CN4T3Qw.png BRZVBhA.png
For the record, there's two potion shops, so don't get confused!

Caves have begun development. A bit of a slow start though, but progress's progress! Caves will have secrets leading to Z1-esque passageways providing neat little rewards. A secret passage within a secret passage, brilliant! :V There will be a bonus dungeon somewhere beneath the caverns of Novalin... so look around but be warned: The Merciless Caverns are only for the truest and bravest of heroes! If it's not your type of bonus content, don't worry, for there are two more planned bonus dungeons hidden in this quest!

uE6TMiY.png v6B3iEH.png

Also yes, I'm using cheats to save time, shame on me. :V

This isn't really how I envisioned the quest would shape up, but I am determined to complete this. I would say it's between half way and two thirds in now, but that probably doesn't mean much. After the caves, I will put all my focus onto making the dungeons, and make them as good as what has been presented thus far. If I do complete this, and this gets a positive reception, I will make a spiritual successor, gameplay-wise. It will be a full quest (Z1 overworld, 8 dungeons, etc.) and I will take any criticism into account. But I will save discussing this for a much later date (at least after this quest is complete).

That's all for today, have a good one!

• Eddy, Sheik, Jared and 8 others like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

Nice to see so much progress being made! The overworld, new houses and the caves all look great! Best of luck for the dungeons after the caves are done, looking forward to seeing how that's going to go.

• Shane, Lightwulf and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

So the overworld has no lava anymore. That's interesting. Good to see so much progress!

• Shane likes this

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

Nice! How big are you planning to make the dungeons? Like Fort Knights size? And will you want scripted bosses? Because I know I want scripted bosses. :P

• Shane and Lightwulf like this

#5 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

Nice! How big are you planning to make the dungeons? Like Fort Knights size? And will you want scripted bosses? Because I know I want scripted bosses. :P

I plan them to be a bit bigger, but not huge. There is a lot more dungeons here compared to Fort Knights but I want to shoot for something a bit bigger in terms of dungeon sizes.

As for bosses, I want everything designed before I start requesting bosses. I have some (IMO, cool) ideas for the final boss, but I still need to plan the actual standard bosses lol.

• Lightwulf likes this

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

I plan them to be a bit bigger, but not huge. There is a lot more dungeons here compared to Fort Knights but I want to shoot for something a bit bigger in terms of dungeon sizes.

Really? The overworld looked like it'd have 3-4 main dungeons at a glance. And since you said 1/2-2/3 done that sounded about right. Three or four small sized dungeons would be comparable to your overworld plus the extra caves/houses I'd think. Are you cramming more dungeons in caves? Sneaky!

• Shane and Lightwulf like this

#7 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

Really? The overworld looked like it'd have 3-4 main dungeons at a glance. And since you said 1/2-2/3 done that sounded about right. Three or four small sized dungeons would be comparable to your overworld plus the extra caves/houses I'd think. Are you cramming more dungeons in caves? Sneaky!

I originally planned 3-4 dungeons, but I thought I could get away with another main dungeon. There will also be 3 bonus dungeons and one (short but probably the most visually memorable...) final dungeon.

#8 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:25 PM

great caves, can't wait to see a screenshot of a dungeon

• Shane likes this

#9 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

Can't wait to see the finished thing! I love the Game Boy style quests.

Good luck on making it!

• Shane and Jenny like this

#10 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:07 PM

Just letting people know I'll be resuming this shortly. I took a break from it but in turn there's now no way I can complete this within two weeks but I will finish it regardless. It was just a fun little challenge I put on myself. :)

• Demonlink likes this

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

That's perfectly reasonable. Creating a quest in two weeks is tough, and sometimes you realize it's just too much. But you've got the entire overworld done, so you definitely made good progress. But just a tip. Don't put it off too much. Umbral Cloud started as a two week quest that just needed one or two extra weeks. That was two years ago. Don't do an Evan. :P

Edit: I'm assuming this wasn't an April Fool's joke because of how deadpan you played it, but if it is, bravo for making it believable. If not, see above. :P
  • Shane and Evan20000 like this

#12 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:09 AM

As for the cave screens: you might consider using other vegetation than the overworld tiles. It looks alright, but in the retail games they always make a point of having dedicated "cave bushes" etc.

Edited by Sheik, 02 April 2016 - 05:09 AM.

• Shane and Jared like this

#13 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:28 AM

Great suggestion, Sheik! I will see what I can do. ...Anyhow, if anyone wants to support my quest via support banner, you now can!

JeZBKcy.png

[url=http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=projects&id=349][img=http://i.imgur.com/JeZBKcy.png][/url]

• Eddy, Sheik, Jared and 2 others like this

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:59 AM

Aha. This smells of a title screen...

• Shane likes this

#15 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:36 AM

Aha. This smells of a title screen...

It will be the base of the title screen, yeah.

Sadly, I haven't made much progress since this update. No, it's not that I lost motivation or interest. It's just that school work and personal life have gotten in the way of progress. I'm determined to finish this no matter how long it takes. I'm going to be redoing the caves since I have a better idea for them (still taking Sheik's feedback into account). I ask anyone who is looking forward to this to be incredibly patient and understanding of my situation right now. I have a school break (= 2 weeks) coming up so I will use that time to really push progress forward and hopefully complete it.

• Eddy, Avaro and Jared like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users