Photo

Tricks of The Trade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#76 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

Though beta 10b fixes most of the issues with this puzzle, it's still possible to walk along the top tiles without triggering them. A crude way to fix this is to make some step->next combos that immediately cycle back, place them above these floor tiles, then hide them with layers.

#77 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:04 PM

I'm not surprised by that one, since Big Link hasn't had any fixes in 10b. Perhaps the special feature in beta 11 will be a fully working Big Link? icon_razz.gif

#78 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

Here's another variant of step puzzles...

user posted image

The point of the puzzle: Make all tiles red by stepping on them. If all are red, and you hit the switch, the door opens. If they are not all red, nothing will happen to the door.

user posted image

It works like this:

You make a blue combo, which has a Reflected Magic/Fireball flag on it (inherent). It's a Step > Next combo.
If you step on it, it will transform into red, so you should make a short animation for it (no longer than 1 sec would be best).
The combo it cycles to is red, and it has no flags on it, but it is a Step > Next too however.
If you step on it, it will transform into the original blue combo. Again, an animation would be nice.

Next, put them on a screen, either blue or a combination of blue and red.
On each of those you put a Singular 16-31 flag.

Good, now we just need a switch.
Make a combo for a strike (not step) switch, and give it the matching inherent flag (like sword, or arrow. Sword would be best though.) And then place another Singular 16-31 flag on top of that.

Next, place the flag 16+ on the obstacle (Door in this case) and give it its secret combo(s)

Now set the screenflag for Secret > 16-31. And you're done. ^_^

You can make it even harder by adding another color to it, hehehe... >=D

Edited by Mr. Z, 03 April 2006 - 12:38 PM.

#79 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:08 PM

So basically... instead of making the red combos reset the puzzle, they cycle back to the original blocks when you step back on them? So the puzzle essentially becomes trying to make them all red (rather than just stepping on all of them)?

#80 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE(Nick @ Apr 3 2006, 09:08 PM)
So basically... instead of making the red combos reset the puzzle, they cycle back to the original blocks when you step back on them? So the puzzle essentially becomes trying to make them all red (rather than just stepping on all of them)?

View Post

Yup.
I wonder how the fixed Step > Next combos will work... They could always improve things.

*makes suggestion for Step Off > Next at AGN*

#81 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:50 PM

EDIT: This is on the subject of "One time Cutscenes".

QUOTE(Self From Other Thread)
There is another way that I find much easier. Lets say you enter you screen were the cutscene will happen, and you step on the "trigger" (Direct Warp). Blah blah blah, the cutscene is over, now have the last screen from the seen warp you back to the room where the D-Warp resides, and set the blue continue point right on a trigger (If your using 2.11, Sensitivity triggers may help, though I'm not exactly familar with them.) The Perm. Trigger will turn the direct warp tile into a regular tile.

A few things, this may look a little wierd since you will reappear in a different place (Maybe a two tile differance?) But, if the character moves in the cutscnene you can work it out icon_wink.gif).

I find this much easier icon_smile.gif

icon_wink.gif

Edited by Rex Zemenheart, 07 April 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#82 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:15 AM

Here's a quick way to make a timed map in 2.11:
You need 3 combos: A FF change combo. An invisible meter (Or visible if you want to show the remaining time). And a clone of the meter, but an Auto Warp as combotype.

In case you don't get it yet, here's how it works:

You put the meter on a side of the screen and make it move to the other side. At the other side is the FF combo which makes it change to the next one in the list (the Auto Warp). Just give both FF combos the Carry Over flag, and you're done.

You can set the Direct Auto Warp screen flag for better results.
Just make sure you use a "No FF Carryover" screen flag on the destination screen or the timer won't reset.

As for one time cutscenes... If you use reset combos together with Screenstate Carryover, you can do a lot more complicated things.
(Reset combos won't work that way unless the secret is activate first) Mess with it. :o

#83 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

Something I've contemplated doing is poisonous water (when you step in, a timer appears and counts down for how long Link can stand it)... without all the hassle of secrets being set on every screen. The only way I could think to do this was with step->next combos... but step->next does not work as a freeform combo (even the copycat)... so that plan was kind of screwed. icon_blah.gif

Your method of a timer is a lot more simple, though. The stuff I've been thinking about involves combo cycling for digits actually ticking down.

#84 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

If you're good enough you can draw a clock for it. (Think MM)
That comes closer to actual digits.
But this way isn't really made for realistic time.

#85 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

I don't know if alot of people already know this, but just in case, the original unedited bitmap from a screenshot yeilds the most rippable tiles. its true, something causes the csets to be in perfect alignment of how they are supposed to be.

#86 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(Nick @ May 3 2006, 12:03 PM)
Something I've contemplated doing is poisonous water (when you step in, a timer appears and counts down for how long Link can stand it)... without all the hassle of secrets being set on every screen. The only way I could think to do this was with step->next combos... but step->next does not work as a freeform combo (even the copycat)... so that plan was kind of screwed. icon_blah.gif

Your method of a timer is a lot more simple, though. The stuff I've been thinking about involves combo cycling for digits actually ticking down.

View Post

Why would you need FF combos for that? Just make 2 tiles, one water thats unposioned that lasts like that for about 10-30 seconds before turning over into the 2nd tile which stays permently posionous that does 1 damage. That wouldent be to hard would it?

#87 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Siguy @ May 3 2006, 08:39 PM)
I don't know if alot of people already know this, but just in case, the original unedited bitmap from a screenshot yeilds the most rippable tiles. its true, something causes the csets to be in perfect alignment of how they are supposed to be.

View Post

That's because the screenshots that ZC saves are saved with 256 color palettes. icon_razz.gif You can't get more than that many colors showing, at once, in those screens, which is what makes it ideal for ripping from.

QUOTE(ZC-Ninja @ May 3 2006, 09:33 PM)
Why would you need FF combos for that? Just make 2 tiles, one water thats unposioned that lasts like that for about 10-30 seconds before turning over into the 2nd tile which stays permently posionous that does 1 damage. That wouldent be to hard would it?

View Post

That wouldn't work, ZC-Ninja, because the damage combo wouldn't count as water anymore, so either you'd end up swimming in solid land and NOT get hurt, or end up walking "on water" to get hurt.

#88 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE(Rakki @ May 3 2006, 10:24 PM)
That wouldn't work, ZC-Ninja, because the damage combo wouldn't count as water anymore, so either you'd end up swimming in solid land and NOT get hurt, or end up walking "on water" to get hurt.

View Post

Ok make 1+x than (where x=however many frames the water goes) and the first have water, than the next one damage, than water, than damage and so on repeating very quickly so the player cannot really tell.

#89 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

The reason for FF combos is because this is spanning over multiple screens. Kinda forgot to mention that. icon_blah.gif

Oh... and I'm not wanting poisonous water that hurts the player every so often while they are in it (I would use the damage combo idea otherwise). I'm talking about poison that slowly consumes the body until they can no longer move... and pretty much either die or get sent back to the start of an area. A lot like the intense heat of volcanic areas in OoT... only the timer stays active so long as Link is in the water or standing on the shallow portion of it.

#90 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(ZC-Ninja @ May 4 2006, 08:17 AM)
Ok make 1+x than (where x=however many frames the water goes) and the first have water, than the next one damage, than water, than damage and so on repeating very quickly so the player cannot really tell.

View Post

No, that doesn't work either. The water combo type would have to ALWAYS be present on the combo for Link to be able to swim in it without being ABLE to end up walking on it, since that is what would happen when the combo changes from water to damage (it would no longer count as water, so it would become walkable land). Damaging water, conveying water, etc. aren't possible until we can have at least 2 combo types applied to a combo at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users