Photo

Screenshot of the Week 792

Anthus Architect Abdiel Mitchfork Taco Chopper

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 792 (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 August 2023 - 01:01 AM

Anthus
Anthus.gif
Wood burns a lot faster on a windy beach.

Architect Abdiel
ArchitectAbdiel.png
Link likes to play around with the hookshot.
Dungeon combos, go away. No one wants you there.

Mitchfork
Mitchfork.png
tf2 engineer voice: sometimes you just need a little less screen. i love to watch ster and jerma play tf2

Taco Chopper
TacoChopper.png
omg IS THIS A ORACLE OF SEASONS DEMAKE in cambria??? no way

• Magi_Hero, Mitchfork and Matthew like this

#2 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 28 August 2023 - 02:02 AM

Anthus: I like the white ripples on top of the water, however I think the underwater cliffs don't look quite right, the edges too sharp. Also in the little river thing, it sort of makes the sand look like a 2-dimensional paper layer on top of the water.

Architect Abdiel: It's nice. I think it would be good to add some trees to the forest brush. I don't have any other notes otherwise.

Mitchfork: I mean, it's only a little less screen than a lot of actual GB screens I think. It's pretty good, no notes on this either.

Taco Chopper: wow WTF NEW QUEST

Voting for Architect Abdiel this time around

• Anthus, Taco Chopper and Mitchfork like this

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:25 PM

I really like the water tiles in Anthus's shot. The camping scene is really cute too.

Architect Abdiel has a very simplistic but nice Gameboy shot. I do think more trees would help the forest vibe going on.

For a small screen, Mitch did a pretty good job! Small screen, big vibes.

I really like the recreation of Holodrum in Cambria. My vote goes to Taco Chopper for the nice variety of tiles.

• Anthus and Taco Chopper like this

#4 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:42 PM

Anthus: I like the white ripples on top of the water, however I think the underwater cliffs don't look quite right, the edges too sharp. Also in the little river thing, it sort of makes the sand look like a 2-dimensional paper layer on top of the water.

Architect Abdiel: It's nice. I think it would be good to add some trees to the forest brush. I don't have any other notes otherwise.

Mitchfork: I mean, it's only a little less screen than a lot of actual GB screens I think. It's pretty good, no notes on this either.

Taco Chopper: wow WTF NEW QUEST

Voting for Architect Abdiel this time around

But, what about the dungeon combos?!?!?!

I really like the water tiles in Anthus's shot. The camping scene is really cute too.

Architect Abdiel has a very simplistic but nice Gameboy shot. I do think more trees would help the forest vibe going on.

For a small screen, Mitch did a pretty good job! Small screen, big vibes.

I really like the recreation of Holodrum in Cambria. My vote goes to Taco Chopper for the nice variety of tiles.

Hmmm. I did have more trees at first. But I didn't want to make the screen too busy. I may experiment more with it.

#5 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 29 August 2023 - 01:51 AM

But, what about the dungeon combos?!?!?!

I'm more concerned with the inundation of overworld combos in your dungeon shot.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I do agree about the underwater cliffs looking a bit odd in this context. I made some diagonal borders, and removed the underwater cliffs, which looks better for a gradual beach, imo.

Spoiler

EDIT: Also this was how the underwater cliffs are actually meant to be used:

Spoiler

#7 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 29 August 2023 - 09:48 PM

Okay, Anthus, really weird take, but if you'd used a shot with Link in the water, I'd have voted for your shot. I look for "stories" in these things, and the story of a swim on a windy beach just feels more fun than him being by the fire. I do think the new borders in the swimming shot are an improvement, but I didn't really have an issue with them in your original shot.

I love the mood, the detailing, the "intrigue" in Mitch's shot. This is where my vote went.

Architect Abdiel:  It's a cool scene, with very bold colors. It's funny how the Gameboy games themselves used very bright, striking colors like these, but these days I prefer something more subdued.

Taco Chopper: It's a nice recreation of that screen. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm coming from just playing Twin Traditions, but those classic mountains look really out of place to me. Are they actually included in the set? I much prefer the more popular Cambria mountains like in Anthus's shot.

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 29 August 2023 - 10:33 PM

Yeah they're part of the default Cambria tileset, strangely enough. I can see what you mean about the Cambria mountains compared to the Z1 mountains though:

krna092.png

Same information and intent, but it isn't as intensely brown as the original mountains.

I'll also admit that swapping from GB to Cambria was an interesting challenge too; it feels like less is more with the latter. I feel like there's a really nice minimalist aesthetic to it; it's just a matter of remembering that in contrast to GB/Firebird/DoR etc

• Anthus and Aevin like this

#9 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 30 August 2023 - 12:12 AM

Anthus

I love the palette and the layout of the beach. The animated water is a beautiful touch.

Architect Abdiel

A pleasant and playable area. I enjoy that Link is actively using one of his tools as opposed to just waiting or walking.

Mitchfork

You make the most of a very small area. It's like a little gem with how much detail is inside.

Taco Chopper

A diverse screen with a nice layout, but I think the sheer contrast in all the tiles makes the scene come off as slightly messy and busy at first glance. Still very good overall.

Voted Mitchfork.

#10 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 31 August 2023 - 07:44 AM

Architect Abdiel:  It's a cool scene, with very bold colors. It's funny how the Gameboy games themselves used very bright, striking colors like these, but these days I prefer something more subdued.

Yeah. When I started attempting to use these brighter palettes, I was bit off put myself. For some reason, as I've used the palettes more, I've started really liking using. I think a lot of it has to do with the GB faithfulness.

Architect Abdiel

A pleasant and playable area. I enjoy that Link is actively using one of his tools as opposed to just waiting or walking.

When I was going through to figure out what screens to take screenshots of for SotW, I tried to get at least one screenshot to show off different locations. And this one, I was like... I want to use that... with a hookshot.
I actually sort of designed the whole game as if it was a dungeon. The overworld doesn't have complex puzzles or anything, but you still have to navigate to new areas.

• nicklegends likes this

#11 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 31 August 2023 - 08:06 AM

Yeah. When I started attempting to use these brighter palettes, I was bit off put myself. For some reason, as I've used the palettes more, I've started really liking using. I think a lot of it has to do with the GB faithfulness.

At some point I should really share the LCD color Oracle palettes I ripped into Three Crests with the wider community - they'd benefit everyone who's using GB while still being "faithful", to say the least. Particularly, the palette for present Labrynna:

LKIs0S6.png

I find the brightness of the normal/"true" Oracle palettes to be a bit overwhelming, but especially with the present Labrynna palette. I want to put it down to the amount of yellow tones in it compared to the spring Holodrum palette; the latter feels more subdued in terms of colours but generally feels easier on the eyes. It's a similar story with the difference between the normal present Labrynna palette and the LCD version - the latter palettes really tone down the saturation, and it makes a screen using that palette just that much easier to look at - for me, anyway.

It could also be that my reasoning is because the normal palettes have been the base of 20 years of GB tilesets in ZC with little or no adjustments - I'm not sure. The matter of objectively overwhelming versus subjectively overwhelming comes into play, and that's not really the point I'm going for here.

• Anthus likes this

#12 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 04 September 2023 - 07:54 AM

With 41.38% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 792 is Anthus!

Anthus.gif
Wood burns a lot faster on a windy beach.

Congratulations!

Voting totals:
  • Anthus - 12 (41.38%)
  • Mitchfork - 11 (37.93%)
  • Taco Chopper - 4 (13.79%)
  • Architect Abdiel - 2 (6.90%)

• Bagu likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anthus, Architect Abdiel, Mitchfork, Taco Chopper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users