Dungeon Carving

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:15 AM

Anyone here know how this works? Setting it up to make it carve the way you want, that is.

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

user posted image
Dungeon Carving Mode

user posted image
Relational Mode

The "X"'s are where the smaller minutia of the dungeon walls will go. 1x? / ?x1 strips of wall, for example, rather than 2x2 etc.

#3 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

So these are set up on the tileset pages? Not in combos?

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:05 AM

Just the Combo Page. You can just grab them all just like that off those tiles pages for convenience sake. So that's how the combo page should look, with you clicking on the upper-left-most combo to use it properly.

#5 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

So if you set them up in combos and select that particular area it will carve the area around the combo selected?

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

Okay, let's see.

Press O:

1) One Time:
Relational Mode: Similar to designing floor borders: The space where the cursor travels will be considered "inside" the floor borders. Thus, if you wanted to cover a perfectly rectangular room in floor borders, you would click or click-drag the cursor over every square two tiles within the room and everywhere inside. (Try it.)

2) Two Times:
Dungeon Carving Mode: The first combo should be a ceiling combo, which will go "outside" of the limits of your dungeon walls. The last combo (See the image.) will be the floor combo. That floor combo will be what appears when you click on the screen, but a fully complete set of two-tile-thick walls will appear consistantly around it. Very, very useful.

3) Three Times:
Combo Alias Mode: Unrelated to this subject.

4) Four Times:
Normal Mode: ... ... Normal mode. icon_razz.gif

#7 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

I still can't seem to grasp the relational one.

I think I get the dungeon carving, but I can't quite understand the relational. What does it look to for it's combos? I'm lost.

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(Myself Earlier)
user posted image
Set up a space in your tiles page that looks like that. (Any of the two 4 by whatever sets.)Save the image and rip it into your tiles page. Then set up a location in your combo page that looks similar to either of those. Then click on the upper left corner of that new group on your combo page, then press "O" once, and start dragging your cursor all over the screen, holding in the mouse button.

#9 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

Is the any particular method to the madness in this? Like if I wanted to assign them myself without grabbing your screen there.

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

The "Method" is discovered on your own as you create your own. There really is a method to it. You learn the pattern slowly as you overlap the necessary bits and pieces onto their necessary locations.

For something like dungeon floor borders, you'd generally start with the biggest pieces, putting down the U shaped ones first, then the = shaped ones, then the _ shaped pieces, then the little corner pieces.

#11 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

What is dungeon carving? icon_blink.gif

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(trip i fall @ Sep 7 2006, 04:31 PM)
What is dungeon carving? icon_blink.gif

View Post

Reread the entire thread after you read this post please. Context is important, I suppose.

Basically, you set up a lengthy series of combos on your combo page based on your dungeon, though you'd usually want the form in the tiles page to mimic how it's supposed to look in the end result on the combo page.

Once it's set up, you would then press "O" twice to Toggle past Relational mode and into Dungeon Carving mode. (Though in the latest betas, it's all available via the tools menu in ZQuest.) Click on the upperleft-most combo in the series of combos you just set up, and start drawing.

You'll see the dungeon walls "form" around everywhere that you clicked. You really have to see it for yourself. Try it. You won't be disappointed. icon_wink.gif

#13 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

I'm pretty sure I get it, it's kinda like, auto-tiles in RPG maker, but with bigger tiles? Wow, this can make life SO much easier, as you said. I gotta try this out.

Btw, is it possible for the carving to only use one-tile dungeon walls? Like, for game-boy style dungeons?

#14 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(trip i fall @ Sep 7 2006, 07:27 PM)
I'm pretty sure I get it, it's kinda like, auto-tiles in RPG maker, but with bigger tiles? Wow, this can make life SO much easier, as you said. I gotta try this out.

Btw, is it possible for the carving to only use one-tile dungeon walls? Like, for game-boy style dungeons?

View Post

Sure. icon_shrug.gif You'd just have to form it on your combo page. I mean you can put whatever you'd like on your combo page. All Dungeon Carving Mode and Relational modes do is apply an algorithm as you draw. The algorithm remains the same. The combos are the dependent side.

#15 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:25 AM

ST, I don't get this at all. No matter how I set it up, it appears to use random combos. I tried this with pure, DoR, as well as creating my own combo page for Dungeon carving. It's not very user freindly...Any chance of a dummyfied explanation for Dungeon carving?

EDIT: **** me... How about a quest file. Does anyone have one with dungeon carving setup?

EDIT 2: Yay! I managed to get it...it wasn't pretty though. Let me take you through it for a second;

"Why the **** god****** **** **** doesn't this work!! mother******* **** donkey ***** ......"

*two hours later*

"****"....

Anyway's so I noticed that Neo first is basically the DoR tileset right? If so howabout some more tiles for it? That'd be supersweet. Is there a quest file or .zgp by any chance ST?

Edited by Gleeok, 21 October 2007 - 05:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users