Photo

Any aspiring graphic designers / artists out there?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#16 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(Angeal @ Nov 16 2011, 11:36 PM) View Post

I do recommend having more then just the SotW Winner display on the front page, since we have Screen Rebirth, and Screenshot: Challenge Accepted not too, and perhaps a spot for the month shots, since we have it set up to do both SotW, and SotM on whichever week it falls on, and I believe the other Events do so also. icon_smile.gif Just some ideas. Perhaps just having it be one spot, but does a slideshow type deal, so it shows everything. icon_shrug.gif

Half way through your post, I was like, "Ooh! A slideshow would be a cool!"

But then you said that and I felt less innovative. I agree, though. That would be a nifty thing to have.

#17 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

The following is a "web 2.0" joke:

IPB Image
compared to
IPB Image

Glossy stuff is so 2005. Matte 'plastic' is what seems to be catching on now. I have always thought that PureZC could use a darker layout though. Most other boards I visit have darker themes, and when I open up PureZC when browsing in a dark room, it's blinding in comparison.

I probably have the skill to come up with a full set of images to fit a more modern layout, but not the time, unfortunately. Wish I could help.

Edited by Bagel, 17 November 2011 - 12:44 AM.

#18 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(Bagel @ Nov 16 2011, 10:49 PM) View Post

The following is a "web 2.0" joke:

IPB Image

Glossy stuff is so 2005. Matte 'plastic' is what seems to be catching on now. I have always thought that PureZC could use a darker layout though. Most other boards I visit have darker themes, and when I open up PureZC when browsing in a dark room, it's blinding in comparison.

I probably have the skill to come up with a full set of images to fit a more modern layout, but not the time, unfortunately. Wish I could help.

I actually think that would make an awesome replacement icon_smile.gif.

But in news toward the site, I'm not much of a graphics designer, but I can say I look forward to any updates that may come icon_smile.gif. I've always loved PureZC as it is, but I'm also open to see what you guys can come up with. My only suggestion toward all this would be to make sections for 2.5 and scripting and all of that while you're at it, so when it's finally released, it's already taken care of, and you won't have to worry about it later icon_wink.gif.

#19 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

I'm pretty good with Photoshop/GIMP, and I'm also fairly well-versed in XHTML 1.x, CSS2 (with a grasp on v3), and PHP, with standards compliant code for all of the above. I don't have much to show for my work at the moment, since Sephiroth's helping me tie my latest work into MyBB (in addition to modifying the s*** out of MyBB itself) and therefore nothing's online. Certainly not trying to sound egotistical here, but I could probably make a living off of web design if I had to. I'm free on most of the weekends to do this kind of work, since this is pretty easy stuff.

Except, of course, for PHP coding; that takes a little longer. icon_razz.gif

#20 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Nov 16 2011, 09:59 PM) View Post

I actually think that would make an awesome replacement icon_smile.gif.

But in news toward the site, I'm not much of a graphics designer, but I can say I look forward to any updates that may come icon_smile.gif. I've always loved PureZC as it is, but I'm also open to see what you guys can come up with. My only suggestion toward all this would be to make sections for 2.5 and scripting and all of that while you're at it, so when it's finally released, it's already taken care of, and you won't have to worry about it later icon_wink.gif.

Well, 2.5 has already has a section added in Quests, and a section added in Tilesets. We'd have to figure out what different types of Scripts there are, so that way if a Scripting section is added to the Main Page Database, they can also be categorized.

#21 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(Angeal @ Nov 16 2011, 11:06 PM) View Post

Well, 2.5 has already has a section added in Quests, and a section added in Tilesets. We'd have to figure out what different types of Scripts there are, so that way if a Scripting section is added to the Main Page Database, they can also be categorized.

IIRC there are only three types of scripts:

Global
Freeform Combos
Items

#22 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

So am I the only one who feels the site's new skin/layout should resemble a Zelda subscreen?

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 16 November 2011 - 11:16 PM.

#23 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Nov 16 2011, 10:08 PM) View Post

Global
Freeform Combos
Items
If that's so, then it should be simple enough. icon_smile.gif

#24 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:44 AM

In response to the initial question, I just wanted to say this:
I'm a natural artist and work well with computers. I don't have any special training for graphic design, but I learn quickly with what I'm given. I'd be interested in any challenge thrown my way!

I think I like Cukeman's idea about the main page looking like a subscreen. However, I don't know if a subscreen's big enough; then again, it could just resemble a subscreen and not have to be the same height as a real one.

#25 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

Exactly, with subscreen borders around every layer.

I designed some websites in the past, but they weren't that great. I designed twccgaming.com, but it's rather basic. I also have some photoshopping experience. So I'm probably not the best help, but I'd be happy to.

#26 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Nov 16 2011, 11:08 PM) View Post

Global
Freeform Combos
Items

Though I also feel we should have sections for these as well:

Headers
Methods

These don't really fit in any of the above categories. (Especially methods, since they're none of the above.)

I guess in the case for scripts that use two or three of these types, we'd just have them show up in all the categories?

#27 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, it may not be a bad idea to have it where they can be listed under more then 1 category. icon_smile.gif

#28 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

Eh, since this announcement has gotten off topic, I guess I'll discuss the topic at hand.

I'd recommend using a limited-tagging system for tiles, quests, and scripts. That way you'd have a list of tags that you could apply to all three submissions. For example, for tiles, you'd have tags like "overworld", "walls", "dungeon", "items", "sprites", etc. For quests you might have "non-Zelda", "difficult", "gauntlet", etc. Scripts could have "global", "item", "enemy", "functions/headers", "ffc", and other things.

That way whenever you go out and looking for something, you can find (hopefully) what exactly fits what you want.

#29 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:19 AM

Is anyone up to this? Really hoping someone steps up to do this. I would myself, but I kinda suck at graphics and such.

#30 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:41 AM

I found the perspiring artist you were looking for:
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users