Derisory Substance

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#16 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

I'm all for this decision. A DS that is funny and not insulting to anyone wouldn't be that bad, but that's not the DS we've been having lately. I stopped actively going there a while ago except for the quotes thread - simply because there was little there I liked. The occasional exception - whey pettle! - proves the rule. Oats. Ents. And whatnot.

Yes, we might lose a little, but we gain a lot more. For the time being, this is definitely the right decision. I can see lots of reasons, like Noir - I'd think it best if as many of them as possible were made public in this thread though.

#17 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:43 AM

Actually, you are right Koopa. I can also think of a few reasons.. if I had permission to speak out about it, I would. My theory is that what has happened with a few members in the last week has probably spelled the temporary suspension of DS. I just haven't got a clue on what happened today for it to be killed off. I was at school. icon_razz.gif

#18 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:12 AM

Wow. I come back to visit an old site I used to frequent, and DS is gone. These are the two things that are going through my head:

-It's about time.
-The Satellite will be DEVASTATED.

Obviously I don't want The Satellite to be devastated, but like I also said, it's about time. DS always kinda got on my nerves, even though I posted there quite a bit... It was a good concept in several ways, but the finished product was questionable. It just goes to show you you CAN'T sustain an Anything Goes type of community. If there isn't structure, boom, your head a-splode. Being Autistic I know more about structure than nearly half of this forum put together.

So yeah, I'm glad it's gone, but I feel bad for the regulars there who will now have to adjust their lifestyles around the void until the void is gone.

Oh, by the way... No, I'm not technically "back", I'm just visiting. I lost interest in ZC months ago, as was bound to happen (my interests stay hyperfocused on one thing for months and then shift all at once to something new), but knowing me, if you give me enough time I'll be totally into ZC again some day in the future. Sometimes the cycle gets annoying... @_@

#19 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE(Evile @ Jan 29 2008, 10:38 PM) View Post

Good decision, hopefully this will teach some people to smarten up and make this a better place.

Yes, collective punishment always solves problems.

And like it or not admin, this IS collective punishment. Something has been removed because of the actions of a few. Instead of hunting down and vanquishing the few, you nuked the whole site from orbit, destroying entire populations of innocents.

Edited by Arthas, 30 January 2008 - 06:57 AM.

#20 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:04 AM

Well I'm kinda glad that DS is gone mainly becasue I'm sick of TS's WATER!!! thread. (No offense TS icon_smile.gif ) I prefer using the chat rooms rather than DS to just joke around (I'm in no intention of breaking the rules).

#21 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

I for one, am happy that DS is gone. I was a minority and didn't really like it since the beginning. I will admit, there was some good topics time to time, but they were really rare nowadays. I think the quality of PureZC will be a step higher now that DS is gone. icon_razz.gif

#22 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

At first, I thought this was a joke. Believe or not, I feel like PureZC was deleted. Or like I was permabanned.

If it's really because some people, then I see no sense why didn't only these people go banned. Instead you banned every user from DS.

If somebody doesn't see the neccessity of joke threads and what you label as "spam", then that's pretty much your invidual problem.

Maybe the lowest sense in the first post is telling that spam got from DS to everywhere. With this logic, the absence of DS means that all DS threads get revived outside of DS...
You might say that there are other sites with spam forums where we could go, but those are not linked to PureZC, so they are irrevelant here, mentioning them is incompetent. We can't use it as PZCers. Only as the members of those forums.

Finally, my biggest concern:
It was exactly yesterday that I looked at the DS first page and thought that DS' quality was very high nowadays.

So, I came to believe that DS got closed because it's a "free" place and rulers, leaders, staff, etc. (people in charge) simply hate free things, only love rules, laws, restrictions, control.

I quite lost my ZC motivation... And I come here only because of ZC, not else... I planned some good things here, but rather I go and do... something in real life.

#23 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

I'm a little disappointed to hear about DS being closed again, but at least there won't be anyone giving me or any other person with disabilities a hard time anymore, and there shouldn't be as much explicit material around these boards anymore, seeing as that was where they posted it the most.
By the way, there's still a link to the forum in people's profiles, but we can only view it. It's in the "most active in" part of the profile. And is there any chance that the 10000 post count down could be moved to MBG?
The 10000 post count down and Kill This Thread were the only threads that got me interested in posting in DS for fun in the first place. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Pokegamer1989, 30 January 2008 - 09:07 AM.

#24 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:03 AM

I'm glad DS was removed. There were only a couple topics I liked in there, namely the IRC Quotes thread, The Official Screenshot Thread (parody of the one in CQD), and the WATER!!!! one.

Most of the topics were retarded anyways, And DS was starting to be used to lash out and take jabs at people. Worse still, intelligence levels were... dropping. It might even have started spilling into chat, but that's just what I think.

GG Staff icon_biggrin.gif

#25 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jan 30 2008, 08:51 AM) View Post

So, I came to believe that DS got closed because it's a "free" place and rulers, leaders, staff, etc. (people in charge) simply hate free things, only love rules, laws, restrictions, control.

You quite missed the whole point to it's closure, CC. It was not closed due to it being so "free" or "open" and the staff fearing freedom to post anything to their heart's desire. You were one of the few people that actually posted logically in DS. Do not feel personally attacked by this decision.

The decision was based on the current route that DS was taking. And it wasn't taking a good one. The amount of insensible topics in there were overly outweighing the sensible, truely "funny" topics.

As it was stated, some of the topics will make it over to other forums to be posted in once more.
But as a whole, we simply feel that if your whole purpose here was to post in DS and only in DS, then why are you really here?
CC, I know this is not your case, but still it was felt the same among the rest of the staff about the whole community.
Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it.

#26 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

Oh wow, I didn't even notice until someone pointed it out in another thread.

I can't say I'm too fussed, I only ever posted in it twice or something, and it never really seemed that funny to me.

I hope it helps people to be more immature, we appear to have lost quite a few member recently to that issue.

#27 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

I absolutely agree with this.

Honestly, DS was starting to become a nuisance. People were... well, immature. Instead of keeping the immaturity within DS, it leaked into the rest of the community.

Other than that, I have nothing else to say, since I don't know what else there IS to say. I think another approach would have been best, but then, what other approach IS there? Ban the spammers? No. As long as DS would live, the spamming would continue.

#28 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

Looks like I'll bring DS2 back. icon_smile.gif

#29 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Well, this is, to say the least, shocking. I believe that it was a good decision though.

QUOTE(Skipper)
I absolutely agree with this.

Honestly, DS was starting to become a nuisance. People were... well, immature. Instead of keeping the immaturity within DS, it leaked into the rest of the community.

Other than that, I have nothing else to say, since I don't know what else there IS to say. I think another approach would have been best, but then, what other approach IS there? Ban the spammers? No. As long as DS would live, the spamming would continue.

Quoted for truth. icon_smile.gif

#30 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

If you have a problem with the decision you can handle it like an adult, with the same logic and rationality as an adult. If you cannot do this, then you do not belong on PureZC and should leave now.

Skipper is one of the youngest people here, so don't tell me you can't do it.

Edited by Old-skool, 30 January 2008 - 04:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users