The Official Quest Screenshot Critique Thread

• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#7891 Valerie

Valerie

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 19 April 2021 - 04:33 PM

The pixel work is great, but the style doesn't match BS. I don't think BS trees should be symmetrical.

Yes, that does make sense, none of the other trees, and bushes are symmetrical. I changed them a bit and will probably work on them some more (I also animated them). They are actaully based on Prototype Zelda 3 graphics I found in the gigaleak and then modified.
51126231563_18285dddb5_o.png
  • Matthew likes this

#7892 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

Yes, that does make sense, none of the other trees, and bushes are symmetrical. I changed them a bit and will probably work on them some more (I also animated them). They are actaully based on Prototype Zelda 3 graphics I found in the gigaleak and then modified.51126231563_18285dddb5_o.png

Can you draw from scratch or only edit?

#7893 Valerie

Valerie

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:53 PM

Can you draw from scratch or only edit?

I can do both, alot of the graphics in my LEXX quest where drawn from scratch.

https://www.zeldacla...174/?pagenum=12

#7894 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:46 PM

Not to steal your thunder Val, but you inspired me to try and create a big tree in the BS style. Here's what I came up with:
MoN8WAF.png

If anyone wants to chuck them into an actual screenshot I'd be interested in seeing how they look (I'm too lazy).

EDIT: Changed to a PNG without transparency because the colours were getting messed up when importing.

Edited by NoeL, 21 April 2021 - 07:12 AM.

• Twilight Knight, Colin, Shane and 2 others like this

#7895 Valerie

Valerie

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:19 PM

Not to steal your thunder Val, but you inspired me to try and create a big tree in the BS style. Here's what I came up with:
MoN8WAF.png

If anyone wants to chuck them into an actual screenshot I'd be interested in seeing how they look (I'm too lazy).

EDIT: Changed to a PNG without transparency because the colours were getting messed up when importing.

51129920424_149fb45ecb_o.png51129863971_ec65e0f01b_o.png

Steal my thunder all you want! :) I love these trees! I also did want more variety in the tileset.

• Twilight Knight, Colin, Shane and 4 others like this

#7896 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:21 AM

Ygehnbs.png l3sKTuK.png unknown.png

From an old project.

• Twilight Knight, Solynutt, Eddy and 6 others like this

#7897 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:12 PM

PyKFswi.png

with minor adjustment, these trees even work well in the FYS tileset.

• Valerie, Twilight Knight, Shane and 1 other like this

#7898 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:55 AM

ygvAuS8.gif

I am submitting an ancient shot. (My first SOTW here) for critique. I would like to know if it still holds up by todays standards.

For reference, I think it was in the first SOTW that was split into two brackets. While it won the first bracket, it lost to a shot by Teilyr.

• Valerie, Twilight Knight, Shane and 3 others like this

#7899 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:28 AM

I'd say it's simple yet effective. I certainly like how clean it looks.

• Matthew likes this

#7900 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:00 PM

I'd say it's simple yet effective. I certainly like how clean it looks.

Thanks. The artistic inspiration I took back then was that I wanted to make a "Zero Mission" of The Legend of Zelda. Something that wouldn't look out of place or hard to see on the GBA. Some of the darker greens might have caused problems before they had backlit screens.

• TheManHimself likes this

#7901 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:46 PM

Thanks. The artistic inspiration I took back then was that I wanted to make a "Zero Mission" of The Legend of Zelda. Something that wouldn't look out of place or hard to see on the GBA. Some of the darker greens might have caused problems before they had backlit screens.

I think your screenshot is very successful at fulfilling your stated goal. As far as judging the shot based on the period of time it was submitted, I'm not sure what the exact vintage on these shots are, I played a lot of ZC quests from 04-07 and posted on the forums here sporadically under a forgotten account, but thinking back to the quests I was playing back then, most of them were either pure, classic, or BS (I sort of wish people still worked in the BS format, even if it is janky), and stylistically your tilework reminds me of a sort of GBC/BS Hybrid. (maybe Just getting the BS part from your Link sprite.

So from that, I can try to assess this working within the context of that time period, and taking the prevalent style trends into account:

I don't recognize those trees from anything: not a single other quest, nor do I know what game they are from. If this is your original work, then you did an excellent job; if it is not your work, then you still did a tasteful job picking your assets. All of the foliage tile work has a consistent style to it, and definitely fits into the GBA aesthetic. I'm trying to think back to quests that I had played in this time period that had a uniform style with entirely custom tiles, and I'm drawing a blank--- either it was chopped and screwed assets from the quest-maker's rom collection added to ZQuest based entirely on whim, without any regard to a uniform style; or it was poorly done custom job; or it was stock from whatever tileset they were running.

As far as screen composition is concerned, I like the simplicity of it all. There is some light symmetry in the screen layout, but that seemed to be a common trend at the time, and as you said this was a LoZ "Zero Mission" it fits in with the style, so I can't really complain. The ground detailing is simple, and it works with the mono-colored ground; my eyes are drawn to the way the tall grass pops out---it has a ton of depth for such a simple design--- I honestly would have this in a more central location of the screen if I were to make this screen today. Looking at this shot also reminded me that layered transparent water where you can see the surface underneath it is a.) a thing you can do; b.) a thing you should do; and c.) always really cool --- seriously my next zquest session project is going to be trying to make this style of water work in a classic-style quest.

I am ambivalent about the Link's sprite-work. The darker green GBA-style palette contrasts very well with him: he's really easy to see in that color space which is an excellent thing; but there's just something off about the actual way he is drawn... I know that is vague and unhelpful: I'm trying to put it into words, but I'm drawing a blank. I guess I would just be shooting for something a little closer to GBC than BS, to match the style of the rest of your tile work.

Hope that was helpful!

Edited by TheManHimself, 06 May 2021 - 01:49 PM.

#7902 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:22 PM

Thank you for your wonderful and well thought out post TheManHimself. I will address a couple things.

I don't recognize those trees from anything: not a single other quest, nor do I know what game they are from. If this is your original work, then you did an excellent job; if it is not your work, then you still did a tasteful job picking your assets.

I am ambivalent about the Link's sprite-work. The darker green GBA-style palette contrasts very well with him: he's really easy to see in that color space which is an excellent thing; but there's just something off about the actual way he is drawn... I know that is vague and unhelpful: I'm trying to put it into words, but I'm drawing a blank. I guess I would just be shooting for something a little closer to GBC than BS, to match the style of the rest of your tile work.

Addressing Quote 1: I designed the trees not from scratch but they are so different that they are technically their own work.

The little trees were designed after the big trees

I later went on to make this, which i think was a decrease in quality: https://www.youtube....CF3_ACA&index=2

Addressing Quote 2:

I know his design is a bit off. I was trying to aesthetically match the much unloved NES Link while tastefully blending it with his artwork style and coloration.

One day soon I might try to salvage the original tileset as it was back then. I really want to make the most epic re-envisioning of Zelda 1 in the future. It just takes a lot of time and commitment.

Edited by BigJoe, 06 May 2021 - 05:25 PM.

• Twilight Knight, Shane and TheManHimself like this

#7903 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:38 AM

GS5y2l6.png

Hi everyone, are these Koten trees clashy with the rest of what i got on here?

• Twilight Knight, Solynutt and Shane like this

#7904 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:06 AM

I think just a little. I think the way the background tree is textured should be the direction for your trees. Lovely stuff, by the way.

#7905 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

Thank you but I cant really take credit for all of it. I borrowed the gfx from a gaming assets website. There is rules on crediting that i will have to follow before i publish this. I want to make an experimental left-to-right platformer to see if it can be done in Zelda classic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users