Photo

What Was Your First Attempt at a Quest Like?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:42 AM

I know I already replied, but I did some digging around to see if I can't find any maps. Unfortunately, when I was using 1.90, it was on my dad's computer when I was a kid, and my actual first quest is long gone.

I did find this gem of a map hidden away in my 1.92 b182 folder, from 2002, called "Custom1":

oIyxgHC.png

It actually.. could be worse, I guess. Not bad for being 11, or 12 though, and really having no idea what I was doing.

EDIT: Wow.. I actually had a decent amount of stuff done for this quest. Doesn't mean it is good, but here's more maps, yay.

YSeFSGa.png

Shitty coast area. Woo-hoo.

tBrKgnv.png

Lava cave area. Impeccable screen layout.

rGG2SNj.png

I think this was Level 1? It's probably unbeatable!

lkjSqo7.png

Some slight improvements.

PvuprZk.png

Everyone loves side scrollers where you can't even jump.

Jik9t35.png

The only thing consistent about this quest is its inconsistency.

When 1.92 b183 (then 2.10 a few months later by the time I got into ZC again) came out, I got more serious, and made this overworld, which has been all but scrapped. I would honestly consider this my first real quest cause it was when I actually started to learn what I was doing, and learned how t make things not be complete garbage basically.

yuWgbsB.png

(I'm not sure what's up with the water corners, they didn't look like that before.. oh well.)

• Eddy, Matthew and Naru like this

#47 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:42 PM

the earlier quest looks fun, pretty. I can't type that about the "newer" one, though.
  • Anthus likes this

#48 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:26 AM

My first attempt at a quest?

Well, it used the Classic tileset and you started at 0,0 on screen 00. Other than that I don't remember much about it. :P

Then I discovered the BS tileset and my life changed.

EDIT: After that I mainly did a lot of experimental stuff and didn't finish a quest for some time later. Unfortunately I don't have any of that anymore.

Edited by NoeL, 16 April 2016 - 12:36 AM.

#49 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:41 AM

I can't remember my actual first project, but I can remember the trilogy I had wanted to do back when I was young and ambitious and dumb. The titles were going to be Legacy of a Hero, Apocalypse of Hyrule, and The Stars Were Dark. The first would have explored the concept of the Hero's spirit, while at the same time distracting Link long enough so that Ganon, in the cliffhanger ending, would announce that his as-yet-unrevealed plot had successfully begun. The second was the most ambitious project, where Hyrule would slowly decay over the course of the game, creating new paths and blocking others; there would be portals to access earlier time periods to collect things you missed. The final was honestly kind of an unrelated story, a more standard quest about a celestial realm, whose condition was reflected in the brightness of the stars, hence the quest's title. Basically its only relation to the first two quests was it would have starred the same Link.

I had other side ideas that I had thought about doing, but only after I finished the trilogy, but the only one I really remember is my own take on a Wind Waker sequel in ZC. But then those were never finished, I started other projects and didn't finish them, it's a vicious cycle. I basically never promise to finish anything in ZC anymore, much as I'd like to.

#50 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:21 AM

I wish you had put the time and effort into those project, as you have described them well and they seem to have been well-intentioned and awesome, as ambitious and difficult as they may have been.

Edited by trudatman, 16 April 2016 - 02:22 AM.

#51 zcfan27330

zcfan27330

Junior

• Members

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

I suck now, and even more back then

#52 isolated726

isolated726

Initiate

• Members

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

Hoo boy, On my first attempt I had messed with a bunch of sprites, didn't understand how the stairs secret tile worked so ALL of the stairs were undercombos, and even then the undercombos barely worked.  Everything was fugly, Dungeons were stupid hard via fake difficulty even though the overworld was both empty AND unpopulated.  Tried, and failed, to use MP3's for music, walls made out of random sprites, non-sensical three-stair warps, no story to speak of, The second dungeon had two map items so you can have a map while you look at your map.  Unremarkable puzzles if any puzzles, abnormal item progression, use of about 11 Csets on the otherworld, and about 15 ways that you could be forced to reset via bad warps.  It was.........barely playable?  Definitely 0.1/5 starts, would not make again.

EDIT: I found the thing on an old CD-ROM, what has been done cannot be un-done

Edited by isolated726, 25 July 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#53 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

Here's Quest Through Time, in all its glory. (Fun fact: until its recent update, it was actually incompletable! ...though I still left the old version in the upload because it just felt wrong to remove it.)

It's not my absolute first thing, but it was my first serious attempt at a quest. There was at one point a BS Zelda quest featuring light and dark worlds (and slightly better dungeons), and a newfirst edit where Link was replaced with a Moblin and you could go into this village that was freezing over. There was a hotel dungeon in progress, too. I'd consider this one a "learning the editor" quest.

The other two are trapped on the old computer, but Quest Through Time made it onto the internet. I think part of it was I really had absolutely zero outside input while creating it, and part of me just wanted to release it so I could focus on another quest. (Anyone around in 2003 or early 2004 might remember "Ocarina of Wisdom" -- it's no longer in development, but I might toss what's done of it somewhere for the fun of it.)

Needless to say, I've improved over the years. :P

#54 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:16 AM

I had made a couple demos for the original AGN quest database site (this was before PureZC existed in any form, even predating its presence on weezernet or pixelclick.) I was 12 or 13 years old and thought I was funny, having made a partial quest called The Legend of Zelda: Again, which I barely remember and no longer have. This was followed by an attempt at a sidescroller, which was also never completed - I think it had been called Zelda 2.5? If you are an oldbie who happens to have either of these quests, I suggest you delete them before they give you and your computer cancer.

Soon after, I made a quest called A Link to the Future, which is still in the PureZC database. It at least got finished, but it's very, very bad.

Interesting to think that at the time I made those, I was running ZC 1.84 or 1.90 DOS on a 300Mhz K6-2 Compaq running Windows 98 with 56k dialup.

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users