Photo

What Was Your First Attempt at a Quest Like?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

The title.

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

I used Dance of Remembrance for my first quest. Good idea? I will say yes, because I taught myself very early on how to use the tileset. And nowadays I'm told I'm one of the better users of the tileset!

I got about one temple in before switching around tileset and quest ideas. I had a lot of fun when I first started. I still do. :)

• Avaro likes this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

My first quest was pretty meh. The quest was obviously amateur, but I had a few good ideas. Eddy made an LP of the demo, which is still up on his channel. It's called "Link's Vengeance."

I ended up scrapping it, but re-purposed and revamped the dungeons from the quest and using them in, "Tale of Lyria."

Edited by FlameCursed, 29 March 2016 - 07:49 PM.

• Eddy likes this

#4 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

When I made Adam's Quest: OMG best game evar! 5/5

When I played it again a few years later: Yeah this game is full of boring design and fake difficulty.

To explain a bit more, I originally made my first quest in 5 days. That is, just a crappy overworld and 9 dungeons. Over time, I added more side dungeons to the game and made it a bit less boring, but once I played it and recorded it, I really saw just how bad it really was. I made it and I would give it a 2/5 if I had to rate it. Is it playable? Sure. Is it also full of statue spam and boss spam? Definitely. The game was just more or less a good example of falling into the trap of more = higher difficulty. Later levels were just flooded with high tier enemies and rooms with so many Manhandlas and stuff that your only option is to tank. Bad enough in the last three main dungeons, I started to seriously abuse statues. I mean 30+ a room abuse. It's not fun, it's annoying. Thing was too that you also only continued with only 3 hearts, adding more tedium to it due to the unbalanced difficulty and all of the enemies you'll be fighting dozens of times because I was a hardcore jerk.

So my first attempt was more or less to challenge myself and I ended up with a mediocre Z1 clone that has too much damage tanking and uses WAAAAAY too many bosses. Level 3 had TEN rooms with boss enemies in them, whether they were Manhandlas, Gohma or Aquamenti. Add in very bland and ugly map design and bad difficulty balancing and you had a recipe for disaster.

• Eddy likes this

#5 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

I have a quest that hasn't been touched in over three years at this point called "Land of Distortion". The basic idea of it: random warp hell. All of the dungeon entrances would lead to four different dungeons, and even the starting item would be one of four random weapons. I stopped working on it because it was harder than hell to set up all of those warps, and the idea of needing to design all of the dungeons that would be needed was very intimidating. I do plan to finish it some day though.

#6 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

It was decent. Popularity exploded like wildfire though; there's some things I could have done better, but overall I think it was a solid first step into game design.

• Avaro likes this

#7 EJSnowden

EJSnowden

Initiate

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

I tried adding every script into my first quest I could get my hands on. The 2nd dungeon was a side-view lava cave where you descended deeper, it wasn't entirely bad.

Then I got sick of the classic graphics and started over.

#8 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

It was decent. Popularity exploded like wildfire though; there's some things I could have done better, but overall I think it was a solid first step into game design.

lol

Your quest literally has a tutorial on it over at Zelda Dungeon. 

#9 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Was some weird BS quest that you could hardly even call a quest. I completed it and still have it, but it's unplayable in the newer ZC builds because of broken side warps and Patras that seem to harvest the 3rd level for some crazy reason. 

I need to cheat/revisit that game some day in Lets Play in all its broken glory. 

It truly makes most noobish first timer quests of today feel like gold in comparison. 

Damn, the modesty. lol

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 29 March 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#10 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:49 PM

I just took unofficial 3rd, resprited it all, started the player off with the hookshot, and called it "Bionic Commando"

#11 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

Oh it was bad, it was really bad! I had this idea of Link being a gangster and running around robbing banks and stuff. I soon realized that it was crappy as sh*t and scrapped it. Again, IT WAS BAD!!!

• Jenny and Evan20000 like this

#12 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:18 PM

Oh it was bad, it was really bad! I had this idea of Link being a gangster and running around robbing banks and stuff. I soon realized that it was crappy as sh*t and scrapped it. Again, IT WAS BAD!!!

For some reason this sounds mildly entertaining.

• MarinaraSauce likes this

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:30 PM

"hyrule Feeled" :worried:

SMjvEyJ.png

This was almost completed. A dungeon away. Thank God this thing got corrupted and I didn't know how to revive the file.

• Eddy, Jared, Joelmacool and 5 others like this

#14 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

"hyrule Feeled" :worried:

SMjvEyJ.png

This was almost completed. A dungeon away. Thank God this thing got corrupted and I didn't know how to revive the file.

Shane! This is Hero of Dreams level content! Why on Earth would you not preserve such a heavenly quest?

• Shane likes this

#15 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

Terrible.

Grindy, mandatory-damage, unbalanced monster-fest. 10 dungeons in a ~50 screen overworld (do the math.) Bad custom tiles. Boring puzzles, or cryptic brute force at best. Probably still has continue bugs. Ice crystals you have to hammer 10 times to destroy. And rooms filled with them. Plot-holes in a quest with no plot. Batrobes on ice. Batrobes on timers. Gleeoks on downward conveyors. Invisible Gohmas. The list goes on.

But hey, I learned how to use ZQuest.

• Kivitoe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users