Photo

Why can't Zelda Classic Just Work Like This?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

Why can't Zelda Classic Just Work Like This?  

vdjhbvjhdbfgh.png

It would be much more efficient and much faster plus no waiting time when loading up

the .qst file and there would be a secondary system that just Binds up all the Data into a single Quest file so those playing the game cannot see all the resources and folders,

The .qst file just takes and uses the mapped resources all from the folders just like rpg maker 2003

(Why can't you guys just make Zelda classic actually do this?)

The second idea is a Zelda Classic Game playing Engine that does not need Zelda Classic Installed just to use it.

You just Drag too your Desktop on Windows or as a Mac .App and play its.'

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 04 June 2015 - 05:50 PM.

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

Because I am pretty sure that would require an entire rewrite of the engine (which will probably happen eventually), and I doubt making it a simple update would be possible.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#3 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

I can understand :   Hence all the Yellow folders would be Named after Zelda Classic Resources and Effects Given.

Backdrops

Tilesets

Monsters

Bosses

Music.mp3/Midi  etcz

I means, Could you actually Imagine having Still - or Moving Backdrops and even Snes backdrop Slider screen effects?  At least you can just Place Any pic you'd want as a backdrop.

I think the Next engine as to have everything Built in Scripted already - for the developers themselves for all to all works right?

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 04 June 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#4 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

It would need to be object oriented (OOP like c++, C#, java, SQL, etc.) and script languages can be whatevers compatible with them or what the designer decides what the standard for scripting should be.

I think they're working on it (or plan to at least).

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 04 June 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#5 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

what does any of this mean?
  • Jared, SkyLizardGirl and Astromeow like this

#6 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

I don't expect you to know any of this, that's why stuff like this should be on AGN, but at least it grabs people's attention.

It would take too looooooooooooooooooooooooong to explain, I can send you slides if you want.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 04 June 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#7 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

Zelda Classic Enhanced

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 04 June 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

SlyLizardGirl: That how the Solarus engine works. Everything is a modular piece of object code, stored in an individual file. I've suggested this route, to the extent of a Solarus fork, for ZC 3.0, but ZC does not utilise external object code files for anything. I'm not certain, but I  expect that all the graphical information is stored as internal bitmaps, as accessed through some kind of structure, whereas enemy, item, and weapon data are stored in vectors while in use, read from another structure to define their properties.

#9 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

It would be nice if Zelda Classic worked like this, as I am more familiar with this setup.

But the Solarus engine sounds intriguing. Is it easy to use?

And are there any ways to romhack Zelda 3?

#10 RocketGrunt

RocketGrunt

Rocket Grunt

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:20 AM

Saffith makes Zelda Classic. You should tell Saffith you want change. Saffith is a reasonable human and will give you much consideration I think.

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:33 AM

It would be nice if Zelda Classic worked like this, as I am more familiar with this setup.

But the Solarus engine sounds intriguing. Is it easy to use?
And are there any ways to romhack Zelda 3?

Solarus is moderately straightforward, but it doesn't have many ZC features, such as enemy, or item editors, with a handy GUI. There is a package, that has most of the Z3 items, and enemies, on GitHub (that I also mirror, for easy access), so that you can use them in a game. Otherwise, every game object is entered as Lua code.

If you want to make an item, or an enemy, you must learn to code it with Lua, or find something in the Solarus forums to use. If you want to modify a game object, you must do it in code. You can't just punch up a GUI with all the vars, as you can in ZC.

OTOH, making maps, and using graphics, is much easier than ZC. Adding graphics is far more elegant, because there is no single defined size. Solarus treats each graphic as a unique object, on a layer. Making overworld, or dungeons, is drag-and-drop (or more like, click, and click).

There exists no Z3 ROM editor that is easy to use. In fact, there is no easy way to modify Z3, period. If you want to do that, you'd better learn 65c816 assembly first. Just about everything in the ROM is hardcoded, and optimised to the extent that you can't change values without invalidating, or corrupting the stack; or at least ruining heap values. Good luck if you want to try it for yourself...Hyrule Magic / Black Magic are so absolutely horrible to use, and they're so limited, that you may as well just be working on the ASM directly anyway.

This is why there exist only two unique, complete (I'm feeling generous, as neither truly feel finished) Z3 hacks. One unfinished, incomplete project, is at QuestforCalatia.net, which is a good place to read documentation on just how tedious hacking Z3 is in reality.

• Logos likes this

#12 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:23 AM

I would honestly love to see a rewrite of Zelda Classic. It's not very beginner-friendly. Actually, it's probably the second-most intimidating piece of software I've ever tried to use, right behind Blender. That's why I immediately jumped on Solarus - I already know Lua, and I'd gladly sacrifice some tools for a more comprehensive UI.

#13 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

Zelda Classic is fine the way it is. Takes a lot of time to learn but when you got it it's amazing.

• CastChaos, Shane, Eddy and 2 others like this

#14 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

Am I missing something here? ZC seems organized enough, minus enhanced music complications.

• Jared and David like this

#15 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

Am I missing something here? ZC seems organized enough, minus enhanced music complications.

With a system like RPGMaker's, you don't need to fit all of your tiles, sprites, etc into an interal tile page that's tied to the quest file itself, you can edit graphics in something like GraphicsGale and edit more than 1 tile at a time, not worry about palette restrictions, and have better organization. Same thing goes for music, sounds, UI, etc. It also makes importing things hella easy. There's definitely some advantages to such a system, but I also like that ZC allows me to manipulate all of these things directly from the editor.

• Shane, SyrianBallaS and Logos like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users