Photo

What slows down the progress of your work?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: What slows down the progress of your work?

What slows down the progress of your work?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

That's a VERY good sign for you not to include that particular house in your game. If any given element does not add to the experience, don't bother with it.

Why do we even bother with overworlds then? I can't say I like them. They're just basically boring shit that goes in between dungeons.

...On that note why do I even bother with dungeons? I should just make boss_rush.qst.

#32 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

Why do we even bother with overworlds then? I can't say I like them. They're just basically boring shit that goes in between dungeons.

...On that note why do I even bother with dungeons? I should just make boss_rush.qst.

Because in quests house interiors aren't something that isn't really expected that much. Caves aren't either. They only are added for expanding designs.

#33 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Quests are different. From my experience with Zelda classic quests, quests that use the classic tileset just can't be as awesome as big story quests with large towns full of life which can't be without houses you can enter and people you can talk to. And caves make the overworld worthwhile to explore I think, but there are also other ways to acomplish that I guess.

Looking forward to a boss rush quest, Moosh! :D i mean really

Edited by Avataro, 24 October 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#34 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

What I'm saying is that, overworlds and dungeons are generally more expected than caves or houses. Look at all those Z1-esque quests on the database for example. I see caves and houses as enhancements to the world's experiences and offerings. That's why I believe that overworlds and dungeons add to the experience of an adventure, which is the major point of Zelda games, right? You can have an adventure without caves and houses. But do you really feel like you're on an real adventure if you're in caves and houses only? :P

(Also this wasn't meant to be a new post, but a elaboration of what I was saying before.)

Edited by Shane, 24 October 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#35 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

Lack of motivation, been more busy on my YouTube channel than I should be. And since we like to go down to Worthing (5 or 6 miles from Brighton) most of the time, I never get much time to work on my quests, but that's usually in the summer.

#36 AtrusW0nder

AtrusW0nder

Creator

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

NOTHING! Nothing can stop me! Nothing at all! JK

Mostly lack of Zquest knowledge. When I begin a quest, I already have the whole quest layout mapped out. Most my ideas are far beyond my Zquest knowledge and I find myself spending many hours investigating beyond the boundaries of my knowledge. But my persistence pays off when I come back with new zquest knowledge to add to my quest.

#37 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

I always find motivation draining around the 2nd dungeon of the game, upon which I start to struggle to put even one screen together. As much as I try, I can't get any further than that so far.

Another big quest stopper is when a big game comes out. All progress hits zero when that happens.

#38 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Well, though I am familar enough with the interface, I am a bit of a perfectionist, and so it takes me forever to get anything done.

Of course now adays work prevents a lot of free time :(

#39 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

I lack skills of Zquest. But I have to say, I am improving. :)

#40 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

For me it's mostly some bugs in the more recent versions.

Silly as it may sound, having to try to find a different song when the previous choice works absolutely perfectly in the version I started building a quest in (in 2010, 1.92 b184 was still my version of choice) just... killed my will to work on ALTTS2. I don't know why -- perhaps it's because I'm almost obsessive over quest soundtracks these days? True, I could just work on it more in 1.92 (and on any machine -- DOSBox and DOS 1.92 are great to have), but when people will almost certainly play it in 2.5 anyway... yeah.

On the other hand, I can at least make other things. (The other 2.5 bugs get on my nerves, but they aren't motivation-halters.) So it's sort of... one quest freezing up. Unfortunately, the one I'd love most to complete, but... eh.

Maybe I'll finish a random thing at some point. Another issue at the moment is college classes -- when you've got one class you loathe taking away from one you were eager to participate in, it kind of makes you feel pretty perpetually crappy.

#41 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Motivation n not having epic scripts!

#42 runaru

runaru

:3

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him, They / Them

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

Lack of time, other projects and other games that I might be playing like Minecraft and Skyrim

#43 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

The reason i make bad quests is because i don't use ZC a lot and i lack some ZC skill.

Edited by joelmacool12, 11 November 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#44 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

The biggest thing that has slowed down my work with the quest that I am currently making is a lack of motivation. On another smaller note, I also have problems with pressuing myself. The reason for this is because I uploaded a full LP of the first game I ever made in ZQuest and ever since I did that quest, I have been forcing myself to take my time with the sequel. The biggest problem I have is with dungeon design. My goal is to make the player have to visit every room and use defensive design to ensure that it's impossible to get into an unwinnable situation. I have also spent copious amounts of time beta testing my own quest and making tweaks to the difficulty in areas that are too easy or too difficult. All in all, I seesaw back and forth a lot and ultimately my own self-induced pressure slows my quest making process to a grinding halt.

• Evan20000 likes this

#45 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Looks like lack of motivation wins. I don't have motivation myself to continue working on quests but I feel playing other peoples quests is a good boost of motivation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users