The first quests you ever played?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

I suddenly got interested in your first played quest while reading the best/worst quest thread.
Judging from sigs, most nowadays members only played 4, 3, 2, 1 or even 0 quests so far and even those are just the most recent ones, but still.

When I found out that ZQ isn't only for you to throw a LoZ quest together and safekeep it on your computer till it gets accidentally deleted rather you can use many tilesets and upload them, Link to the Darkness was the first one I downloaded (after playing some Demo EX). It was what made me think superlative of ZC as opposed to what I would have thought if I tried certain other quests at first (it's like that if I learned about ZC only nowadays, I probably wouldn't even have downloaded it). If I played some bad quests, I would have thought ZC couldn't be used for good and if I played HoD or MMDWRDC for first, I would have thought one needed to be a genius to use it.
But Link to the Darkness is a quest that is great, not bad and has some BS/Newfirst tileset with LoZ mechanics instead of being a PTUX story. And it is perfectly built, seamlessly balanced, so I decided this ZC thing was the next thing to use.

While playing LttD (being a bit uneasy for "darkness" being in its name, I was that sensitive at that time), I seen example screenshots of Zelda's Quest for Link by Rocksfan13 (Link). I mistaken the BS (or such) walls taken from LttP with actual LttP graphics, so I was in awe. While playing, I found that it wasn't an actual LttP quest rather still LoZ-ish, that was when I started to learn that each quest is worse than how I estimated from the teaser screens. It was still a great quest, nonetheless. Along with Fall uh de Honky Pig.

Then I played the sequels of LttD, but I got stuck in each of them. I even looked one up in ZQ, but I still couldn't find the solution! I still don't know to this day. That also was when I finally understood dmaps and palettes, previously I didn't know how to segment one overworld map to smaller overworlds.

Then I played the Chains of Destiny demo and then Link to Tortuga, both making me totally puzzled how one could make scenes and whatsoever. I nearly blacked out at the curtain intro scene.

I also played the difficulty quests (Armageddon quest, James quest, etc.) quite early.
I also tried but got stuck in countless bigger quests, lik Isle of Wind and other DFW works, completing some only years later.

And this all while I was making my first quest (one month maybe). Then I played Hero of Dreams. Playing it with lower ZQ knowledge and before I would play OoT all helped me appreciate it better, but it's still one of the very top quests, triggering a complex system of inspiration.

Then I just played and played and played away 90-99% of quests released till 2009 spring, finishing many of them (FQotM, FQotM, FQotM).
Again, I'm so content and relieved that I'm not one who played 2-3 quests and immediately declared that one of them is the best of all. Now I go back making NTCC while I'm hoping that I can find time to finish playing Souls of Wisdom and Zelda's Butt still in this century.

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

My first quest was Ballad of a Bloodline. It set some...interesting standards for ZC for me. For a while I wouldn't play any quest that didn't have custom bosses (which is about 90% of quests) because I had kinda set BoaB as my standard. Then I played End of Time DX and Hero of Dreams and the two of them pretty much opened my eyes with EoT DX showing me that good graphics and game design can make a fun quest even without custom bosses and HoD showing me that patience and not cutting corners pays off in the end seeing how smooth HoD's custom bosses were compared to BoaB's bosses. I like to think that those two quests in particular inspired me to learn ZScript for very different reasons.

#3 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

My first quest i played was Tower of Shadows by Avataro. And i have no idea why i played this one as the first but i had a blast.

#4 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

The first quest I ever played (and never finished icon_frown.gif ) was Hero of Dreams. I think it was sometime back in 2009, but I remember having a BLAST every minute I play (Well, every minute I wasn't being killed icon_razz.gif) In my opinion, it is probably one of the best quests I've ever played since I got into ZQ. I mean, everything about it is so perfect! Screen design, music, dungeons, story, and many other things make it feel a bit like a real Zelda Game.

After losing my save file, I moved on to other quests such as LQFTH, TLoZ: Fort Knights, and other quests I do not remember the names to but were still pretty good. I have to give all these quests credit, I mean, they are all what inspired me to make my own quest in the first place. icon_smile.gif

After the 3 or 4 years I've been using ZQ, I think I'm now at my full potential. (Just have to stay with a tileset!)
I also have to give big credit to Wild Bill, Mr. Z, and Akkabus for making the pure tilesets, and Akkabus for making the EZGBZ tileset.
(Still using Pure Tileset Update V2.2 up to today! icon_biggrin.gif)

Other quests I played and enjoyed were SoR (before it was cancelled in classic tileset icon_frown.gif) Origin, Lost Isle, The Hidden Duality: Director's Cut, Link's Birthday, Link to the Heavens, Isle of Winds, Mario's Insane Rampage, (Kill me) Link in Cestria, and many others of which I cannot think of the names right now. They were all a huge influence (except for Mario's Insane Rampage) on my quests.

So thank you to all of you guys who are making quests. icon_smile.gif

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

I don't quite remember the first quest I ever played, but the first I ever beat was the original Link's Birthday. Many fun times were had with that quest. I remember getting to Ganon and was all confused - I'd never actually made it to Ganon in the original at the time and had no idea that he just went invisible and you had to swing around hoping to hit him. I eventually figured it out though. @_@

#6 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

The original Link's Birthday by Mr. Z. This is the quest that made me like even to this day Pure so much.

#7 Zefram

Zefram

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Demo Quest and The Revenge, way back in the days of the old QDB and version 1.90. Man, I feel old. icon_razz.gif

#8 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

The first custom quest I ever played and beat was The Revenge by PrinceMSC when I found it on AGN's ancient quest database that no longer exists. I haven't replayed it in a long time (Revenge 2 is a more memorable quest that I actually got 100% completion on), but I really enjoyed it when I did play it.

#9 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

I don't remember what my very first quest was anymore, but I remember the Bikdip Adventure duo being near the beginning.

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I think it was Hero of Dreams. Like Moosh said, it set some basic standpoints for ZC quests. I still wish I could finish it though. Love it to death icon_biggrin.gif

#11 Colossal

Colossal

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

My first quest was Lost Isle. It was quite a challenge for me then, especially since I had to get used to Z1 mechanics again and figure out what ZC added to them (and the new enemies).

#12 Fox

Fox

Will the Hero rise again?

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Demo Quest was the first custom quest I played. Is that still packaged with ZC? Is it still the same incomplete quest? That was a HARD quest, but I managed to get through it.

First quest I actually downloaded, I can't remember (it was a LONG time ago, well more than ten years). If I had to guess, I'd say A Link to Another Dimension. That was a pretty ambitious quest - after beating the first eight dungeons, you open a completely different dark world and have a second round of eight dungeons to beat. I remember enjoying the game - not sure if it would hold up for me today.

#13 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Unofficial 3rd by alphadawg.

#14 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I found out about ZQ from Mbwchampion, (a.k.a. Shoelace)'s top ten Zelda items video. Saw the clips about Hero of Dreams, and had to check it out. It was the greatest fan game I've played. So brilliant, so deep in story telling, so well designed. In my opinion, it's better then some actual Zelda titles. After playing the quest, I started messing with Zquest. I sucked and asked so many questions icon_razz.gif But I guess I could say Shoelace is why I am using ZQ today icon_smile.gif

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Lost Isle by DarkFlameWolf and Peteo was my first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users