"Gayness" in ZC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#31 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

It doesn't matter what someone thinks about it, it's your quest, do what you want. Personally, I think it's absurd anyone would even have a problem with it. Given I live in a pretty small town, I don't know many gay people, but I'm completely fine with it.

#32 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

It's your quest, Lynker. do whatever the hell you want. It isn't really up to anyone else, because it's your quest. If people want to stop playing just because of that, let them do it. Do whatever you think is right, because your judgement is best on your own quest.

As a side note, I don't see why anybody could ever be offended by gayness. What is so offensive about it anyway? I'm not gay, but I know plenty of gay people. None of whom I'd deem offensive. Gayness just is, you'll have to live with it. If someone is gay, and you have a problem with it, who cares? Just live with it. Afterall, there are plenty of gays across the world; chances are you're going to have meet some of them. Just let it be.

Do whatever you want, Lynker. It's your Goddamn quest. I don't think anyone elses opinions are even needed. If you want to put a lesbian couple in your quest, go right ahead. icon_smile.gif

Edit: icon_naughty.gif

Edited by William, 17 May 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#33 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I love topics like this because it exposes the people that hate based on the religions their parents passed down and the bitter spokespersons ranted through. Jesus cannot ask you to be a bigot, but I'm very glad you choose to self-identify as one who believes he would. this saves me the trouble of trying to investigate and make note of the folks I wouldn't want to work with even if they were the only ones coming to my aid. I would sell them nonrefundable post-rapture pet care services, though. as a vegan, I would hope that any quest featuring iced cream would have a disclaimer indicating its offensive presence. good thing I attach PG-13 ratings to my quests, what with the implied incest/orgy and the healing consumables that many locales would outlaw and the political messages and the Tourette case and the violence against Wizzrobes and....

#34 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Putting two women in the same shop shouldn't be a problem at all. Going out of your way to point out that they are gay? Is there a reason in-game? Is it somehow important for the story? Or are you just trying to make a political statement?
If Link tries flirting with one of them and she shuts him down, then it would be reasonable to mention. Otherwise, who cares? It's about as important as a random NPC walking up and saying, "My left breast is bigger than my right" and then walking away again. Aside from shock value, it is meaningless. (This is especially true when the NPC in question is only 16 pixels tall).
If you had an in-depth script for the NPCs giving them 'gay'-related things to do, then it might be worthwhile to mention. Then again, you'd have to define "'gay'-related" at that point, and that seems a bit complicated for a 16 pixel-tall sprite who is relatively unimportant to your game. I think that's more work than it's worth.
Then again, the Zelda games push very hard to show the stereotypes with their character Tingle, don't you think?

Edited by symbiote01, 17 May 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#35 Samsonite

Samsonite

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

The "gayness" is a non-issue. Just name them Tegan and Sara.

Sam

#36 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

You probably have plenty of opinions already, but I just wanted to say, there have been worse things in quests, such as graphic gore and depictions of actual sex, though the latter I've seen were pretty poor depictions. So just go for it; shows what a hot-button topic it is if people would rather complain about this than the aforementioned stuff.

#37 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ May 17 2011, 08:53 AM) View Post

Out of all the topics in General ZC Discussion... this is the one that's most popular at the moment? I wish that actual Zelda Classic discussion was as active as this drivel that basically has nothing to do with the program. Jebus.

Lynker, do whatever you want, it's your game.

It might indeed be annoying at times, but I encourage such dicussions wholeheartly. People that discuss stuff sometimes tend to think. In that context this is worth a lot, in my opinion.

#38 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(RockinRollFan64 @ May 16 2011, 11:25 PM) View Post

Umm....no. I'm completely against everything gay (sorry if I sound mean to you, but I have a Christian background), and I think you should exclude that, because think of how younger people would react if they saw that?

Um..everything about this whole statement is wrong.
I am Christian. And I like guys. If God REALLY had a problem with it, i'm pretty sure I would have been killed by him by now.
And if little kids saw it, they wouldn't care, because they probably wouldn't even be able to read, or even care.
I thought you were a good person, but now, you're just another bigot. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm getting so many mixed opinions, how confusing.
I'm keeping it in, I don't care what you rude people think. icon_thumbsup.gif

#39 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Samsonite @ May 17 2011, 02:34 PM) View Post

The "gayness" is a non-issue. Just name them Tegan and Sara.

Sam

They're pretty cool!!!

Also, Lynker, put whatever the hell you want in your quest. If somebody is offended for whatever reason, they don't have to play it. Make your quest for yourself, do whatever you want. If other people like it, consider that a bonus.

#40 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Before anyone goes on, let me just make this very clear:

If you do not like the idea of homosexuality, that is fine. Your choice. But there is no need to inform us, or anyone else about it. Keep it to yourself.

Remember, being openly anti-homosexual could very well be just as bad as being openly racist. We don't need to hear about it, and if you really feel that way, so be it... but don't run around telling everybody. It causes nothing but problems, and we do not need a big flamewar caused by someone who just felt they had to spurt out their own personal hatred on what is a very touchy subject.

That said, discussing the subject at hand and so on is an entirely different case, and I see nothing wrong with that as long as it is kept civil. I'm leaving this topic open in good faith that anyone with such opinions will heed the warning and keep it to themselves.

#41 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ May 17 2011, 06:43 AM) View Post

Make sure to add a disclaimer if you put any coloured folk in your quest as well. We wouldn't want to offend the racists with their presence now would we?[/sarcasm]. Really Nate, not cool at all.

Really? All I was doing was making a suggestion for Lynker, provided he had any such concerns for those who choose to play it. Of course he can do what he wants regarding this. I support his full freedom on it, and I think he is 100% entitled to it. I'm sorry if my suggestion makes you want to rage. I hope you aren't insinuating that I am some sort of bigot, despite you already expressing your sarcasm. While his description was pretty simple, I don't know how far he elects to take it, as that itself isn't clear to me. If it's nothing beyond the simple description itself, I think it should be fine without any sort of forewarning. While he can certainly take it as far as he wishes, if he did decide to take things to a further and more mature degree (I'm not saying if he will or won't, since I clearly don't know), to a point where a significant number might find some things too inappropriate, then a simple forewarning would be the polite thing to do. If it is presented to younger people, I'm not saying you can't have two married people of the game gender. I just think you have to be careful with such a presentation if there is no forewarning. Just to clarify before I am further misunderstood.

While I don't agree with the more rigid views expressed in this topic (the anti-gay views), I am not quick to disrespect them either. They have a right to express them, as long as they are being respectful of the other views as well.

#42 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Does this topic still make people uncomfortable? Grow up.

Lynker, make the quest as gay as you want. You've got my support.

#43 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(nicklegends @ May 17 2011, 09:55 PM) View Post

Does this topic still make people uncomfortable? Grow up.

QFT.

In fact, I don't even understand why gayness can make some people uncomfortable. It's just a sex preference, not the end of the world. If anybody wants to have sex with men, women, or apes, for crying out loud, let them! It's none of your business. If it's rape, that's a totally different story. But if it's two people who care deeply for one-another, who cares about gender? What's the problem?

It's a video game, God damn it! If gayness "bothers" you, why not just choose not to play it? icon_shrug.gif I'm glad you're choosing to make the video game however you want, Lynker. After all, it's your game.

Edited by William, 17 May 2011 - 10:06 PM.

#44 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ May 17 2011, 08:26 PM) View Post
I hope you aren't insinuating that I am some sort of bigot, despite you already expressing your sarcasm.
You're not a bigot, you're an "enabler". You see someone getting kicked in the balls and say "well, I wouldn't kick others in the balls, but I respect the guy's choice to do so".

if he did decide to take things to a further and more mature degree (I'm not saying if he will or won't, since I clearly don't know), to a point where a significant number might find some things too inappropriate, then a simple forewarning would be the polite thing to do.
If the quest has adult themes, sure, add a forewarning, because kids may not be ready for that. To add a forewarning simply because the quest features homosexuals is not only ridiculous, but offensive. And I KNOW you implied the latter, because you added "for those who have strong conservative/traditional/religious values" - i.e. religious bigots. It seriously is just as appalling as suggesting someone add "Warning: This quest contains negros".

While I don't agree with the more rigid views expressed in this topic (the anti-gay views), I am not quick to disrespect them either.
As I said - you're an enabler. There's a difference between respecting a person and respecting an idea. If someone says "hey, let's kill all the gays" you don't have to, and SHOULDN'T respect that idea. You can say "no, that's a stupid idea" without saying "you're a stupid person". Respect the people, respect their right to form and hold whatever opinions they want, but don't automatically respect those opinions - especially when they're blatantly ridiculous. Beliefs and ideas don't deserve automatic respect. There are good ideas and there are bad ideas, and you're a fool to respect the bad ones.

Edited by NoeL, 17 May 2011 - 10:19 PM.

#45 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

I could continue to respond to NoeL, but I am afraid this topic will continue to go off on a bad path if I do. So for that sake of the topic, I am not going to make any further rebuttals. But I will say that I don't agree about me being an enabler. I don't want to be guilty of derailing the topic any further by picking into NoeL's methods. I will leave what I said as it is, and people can judge them however they wish. Although that should go without saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users