53 replies to this topic

#16 GamingNomad

GamingNomad

formerly KenMeister

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ May 16 2011, 09:09 PM) View Post

I've been wondering this.
I was think about two woman that are married, running a shop in a town in my game.
How would you people react to this, and would it be okay, with most members that play it?
Being gay myself, i'm okay with it, but some people could be offended by it, and automatically give me hate or a low rating.

What do you guys think?

Umm....no. I'm completely against everything gay (sorry if I sound mean to you, but I have a Christian background), and I think you should exclude that, because think of how younger people would react if they saw that?

#17 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

Do whatever you want on issues like this. This isn't a matter of design critique, just personal preference. No need to bother asking us how we feel, appealing to people's opinions on this is a waste of time. If someone doesn't like it, they can choose to ignore it.

#18 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:49 PM

I'd be surprised if more than a couple of people even notice. Unless you go with Robin's idea, which, in my opinion sounds terrible. The concept could theoretically work, but only if the game had social conflicts as a theme and wasn't just shoehorned into a game about a fairy boy (pun somewhat intended) collecting shiny triangles to go slay a giant pig. It would be sort of weird for a quest in which, in most towns, people tell you stuff like "There's a secret in the windmill!" or "We have the best inn in town!" to suddenly have a town where all the citizens are talking about social justice and pro/anti-gay issues. It would seem horrendously out of place.

QUOTE(RockinRollFan64 @ May 16 2011, 10:25 PM) View Post

I'm completely against everything gay (sorry if I sound mean to you, but I have a Christian background)

Just so you know, Christianity isn't anti-gay. It's kinda hard to be open to everybody when you condemn certain groups of people to hell. icon_unsettled.gif Please don't you Christianity as an excuse for being against homosexuality.

#19 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

Umm....no. I'm completely against everything gay (sorry if I sound mean to you, but I have a Christian background), and I think you should exclude that, because think of how younger people would react if they saw that?

I'd just like to say that I have been around homosexual people since I was young and it hasn't had a negative effect on me. If a child reacts badly to the possibility of gay people, then chances are they weren't raised very well. Not liking homosexuals purely for the fact that they are homosexuals is like not liking people who play Call of Duty simply because they play Call of Duty. Just because someone plays a different game than you doesn't make them any less deserving of equality. That being said, I'm not gay myself, but having had gay friends since I was twelve, I do not see "but think of the children!" as legitimate reasoning for removing a few lesbians from a game.

Also, I'm not trying to invade your personal beliefs, but I think it's worth mentioning that I have several Christian friends who, although they may not like it, have accepted the fact that there are gay people and there's nothing they can do about it. One of my Catholic friends even joined the Pride Alliance. Food for thought.

Edited by Ornlu, 16 May 2011 - 10:57 PM.

#20 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

I think that Beefster is right about using subtlety, but I don't think it should be used in a joking manner, as that could be percieved as rather intolerant. Just try to imply that the characters may be gay and leave it for the player to decide.

Hate the sin, not the sinner. Funny when I word it that way..."sin"...I mean whether you believe people are born gay or simply make that choice, we can all agree that changing your sexual preference is in no way easy, in fact, it may just be impossible. Imagine if smoking was a sin...anyways, off topic, Poke.

#21 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ May 17 2011, 04:17 AM) View Post

I see no problem with it. I'd say just put a disclaimer with it for those who have strong conservative/traditional/religious values. That way they can know about the existence of such content in advance. So if it bothers them enough, they can avoid what they don't want to be exposed to.

Why? Other situations where you could possibly face homosexuality like for example, ehm..., life, don't have such a disclaimer either.
Know what Lynker? Do it. And slam it at their face if needed (in real life I would not recommand that, but in a video game, what harm could it possibly do?). People need to realise that some things are natural. We know about 450 species that "practice" homosexuality, but we only know of one that practices homophobia. Makes you wonder, eh?

#22 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ May 17 2011, 05:49 AM) View Post
I'd be surprised if more than a couple of people even notice. Unless you go with Robin's idea, which, in my opinion sounds terrible. The concept could theoretically work, but only if the game had social conflicts as a theme and wasn't just shoehorned into a game about a fairy boy (pun somewhat intended) collecting shiny triangles to go slay a giant pig. It would be sort of weird for a quest in which, in most towns, people tell you stuff like "There's a secret in the windmill!" or "We have the best inn in town!" to suddenly have a town where all the citizens are talking about social justice and pro/anti-gay issues. It would seem horrendously out of place.

Just so you know, Christianity isn't anti-gay. It's kinda hard to be open to everybody when you condemn certain groups of people to hell. icon_unsettled.gif Please don't you Christianity as an excuse for being against homosexuality.
Obviously, Captain Obvious icon_razz.gif

But seriously, of course, it'd have to be done correctly. But let's not forget, not all of us are making Zelda-games, and I didn't see Lynker mention it either. But my idea was just a suggestion, and one that I didn't exactly spend much time coming up with, so naturally, if you were to add something similar into your game, you'd do it in a way that'd make it fit with the rest of the game. It's not like I suggested he ruin the entire feel of the game, I was merely giving an example of what I meant.

That said, I also like Beefster's thoughts on the subject a lot. I think that having a sense of humor about it, while keeping it from being offensive, naturally, is something that could really work in a Zelda-game, but again, only if done right... but then again, everything has to be done right in order to be right, so that's really a given. icon_shrug.gif

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:53 AM

Out of all the topics in General ZC Discussion... this is the one that's most popular at the moment? I wish that actual Zelda Classic discussion was as active as this drivel that basically has nothing to do with the program. Jebus.

Lynker, do whatever you want, it's your game.

#24 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:43 AM

Sorry guys, I just have to rage a little here.

First off, if you want to put lesbians in your quest, put lesbians in your quest. Beta Link asking what the "point" would be is silly - it's like asking what would be the point of making the shopkeeper a man. Why should anyone need a "point" to reflect something that's all too common - and COMPLETELY inconsequential - in reality? Homosexuals exist people, deal with it.

To people telling him he shouldn't include it, I invite you to come join the rest of us in the 21st century and stop being such a bigot. What consenting adults choose to do in their private time is NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!

It's sad the OP felt the question should even asked in the first place.

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ May 16 2011, 08:17 PM) View Post
I'd say just put a disclaimer with it for those who have strong conservative/traditional/religious values.
Make sure to add a disclaimer if you put any coloured folk in your quest as well. We wouldn't want to offend the racists with their presence now would we?[/sarcasm]. Really Nate, not cool at all.

QUOTE(Beefster @ May 16 2011, 09:25 PM) View Post
Mentioning homosexuality not only ruins the joke, but could very easily offend a lot of people (including myself)
Why do you assume it would be a joke? Is the mincing, flamboyant, stereotypical gay guy funny, sure, but it's like the portrayal of black cartoon characters in the 1930's. As an individual character it's funny, yes, but it's terribly offensive when you paint ALL minority characters with such a broad brush. Not all blacks are lanky, fat-lipped farm boys, and not all homosexuals are mincing transvestites. Just because he wants to put a lesbian couple in the game doesn't mean they're going to be the stereotypical man-hating, bike-riding, head-shaving dykes. And let me get this right, if they WERE such offensive stereotypes you'd be perfectly fine with it because it's all a big joke, but a female character referring to her wife is "OMG SO OFFENSIVE!!!"? Really, grow the F*** up.

[/rage]

QUOTE(RockinRollFan64 @ May 16 2011, 09:25 PM) View Post
Please refrain from mentioning your Christianity, as I'm completely against everything Christian (sorry if I sound mean to you, but I have a bigoted background, and I adore my prejudices).

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:32 AM

I think it's okay to have it. Just don't... well... preach. For comparison, Freedom has put in NPCs who insulted "liberals" in his quests before, and I found it quite annoying. It's okay if a game or quest reflects the maker's views somewhat, but blatantly preaching them is annoying no matter what your views are.

My vote is to have it in the quest, but don't draw a huge amount of attention to the fact. If you think it's perfectly natural, then you have the option to present it as normal.

QUOTE(RockinRollFan64 @ May 16 2011, 08:25 PM) View Post

Excuse me, but having a Christian background is not synonymous with opposing homosexuality. To imply that it is the same would be to ignore the fact that the Christian religious community is extremely divided on the subject.

Also, opposing homosexuality does not necessarily mean suppressing all attention to and discussion of the topic. In other words, you don't have to resent alternative perspectives purely for the fact that they exist.

For instance, let's hypothetically say that you oppose divorce. Is that any reason to insist that divorced couples never be shown in video games or on TV? Seems a bit unreasonable to me, and so does the "hide your gays" argument.

#26 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

I'm starting to feel like this should be in the Debate Forum. icon_blink.gif

Do what you want. I don't really see the point in it, but I don't see any real reasons to oppose it. Homosexuality is portrayed on TV all the time, now. What's a little couple in a video game? icon_shrug.gif

#27 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ May 17 2011, 05:43 AM) View Post

Please refrain from mentioning your Christianity, as I'm completely against everything Christian (sorry if I sound mean to you, but I have a bigoted background, and I adore my prejudices).

Well then, I guess I should delete your current thread in General Entertainment, because you mention Christianity to yourself. Seriously, if you get to mock the religion, everyone else gets to defend/embrace it for sure. Don't be a hypocrite.

As for myself, I'm indifferent to the whole thing, and I agree with Zaire. How about those secret combos? *runs*

#28 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ May 17 2011, 05:59 AM) View Post
As for myself, I'm indifferent to the whole thing, and I agree with Zaire. How about those secret combos? *runs*

Heck yeah. Those combos have been kept secret long enough. Find that trigger, so you can drag them out of the CLOSET! icon_razz.gif

#29 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ May 17 2011, 06:59 AM) View Post
Well then, I guess I should delete your current thread in General Entertainment, because you mention Christianity to yourself. Seriously, if you get to mock the religion, everyone else gets to defend/embrace it for sure. Don't be a hypocrite.
Do I really need to add [/sarcasm] every time? Come on dude, it was pretty obvious.

#30 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

Normally when I see sarcasm as text, it's in italics, in all caps, or it's something I wouldn't actually expect from the person.

Another thing to point out to... The sidequest Robin mentioned, albeit a bit harsh, would definitely make the people of Hyrule a bit more realistic. Most of the time, NPCs are pretty much without personality, and it can become a bit annoying. It's kind of like how every guard and beggar is the same in Oblivion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users