• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Plissken @ Aug 9 2010, 04:34 PM) View Post

No...very much so a valid argument because if we give the community a completed build then who's to say the priority of getting 2.5 released? That's all most of the community wants is to have 2.5 released. Not have it delayed more and more and more, I'm just potentially worried about what releasing an inbetween version would do to that.

Come on now... icon_rolleyes.gif
If Mr. Dark Nation fixes a bug or two in the LI Build to make it ZC 2.20, how does that delay ZC 2.5 at all? Your fears are unfounded.

I really don't see how any sane person could be against this planned ZC 2.20 release. It would finally give us all and especially all the newbies a rather STABLE ZC version to use. Also, ZC 2.5 developement would still continue normally I'd assume, so there'd be no harm to anyone.

Edited by Peteo, 09 August 2010 - 10:39 AM.

#32 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Dammit why don't people read? When I said my post I was referring to when it was proposed that LI Build would be 2.5 and the newest builds would become alphas for 3.0. That's when my fears come up, if we bumped up the version number to 3.0 cause then we're just effectively making a new version and who knows what the priorities change to?

NOW. Let's read my quote from when the whole calling it 2.2 was proposed.
QUOTE(Plissken @ Aug 8 2010, 10:43 PM) View Post

I like that. And if you really want me to just love you deeply we should really consider a set date for 2.5 release, of course that's something that the developers would need to talk about amongst themselves. But, if it's stable enough, we can deal with bugs here and there, we always have. (And that's what 2.5.X versions are for. ;D)

I'm FINE with 2.2, but mainly I just want to make sure we are at least going to eventually try to get a release out for the newest betas. The post Koh quoted had nothing to do with 2.2 talk and it was referring to a suggestion that had long since been moved away from. I don't even understand the point in quoting that anyway since it has no relevance anymore (talking about Koh's quote not yours, the one you quoted was just me simply defending my fears from that time).

#33 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

Oh my... I apologize if I misunderstood something. English isn't my native language so mistakes can happen.

But anyways, I mean what I said, even if it wouldn't be directed towards you.

Edited by Peteo, 09 August 2010 - 10:50 AM.

#34 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

I apologize for the outburst. I just knew the second my post was taken out of context and placed into the current discussion it would cause me to look like a fool who didn't know his left from his right.

Back when that first post was made I simply wanted a release of the alphas...soon. And I also wished not to name the LI build officially 2.5 due to what...mindset that might put people in. I'm fine with 2.2 as long as 2.5 doesn't get neglected (which I know it wouldn't be.)

#35 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(Plissken @ Aug 9 2010, 07:08 PM) View Post

Back when that first post was made I simply wanted a release of the alphas...soon. And I also wished not to name the LI build officially 2.5 due to what...mindset that might put people in. I'm fine with 2.2 as long as 2.5 doesn't get neglected (which I know it wouldn't be.)

Then we're in the same boat, relatively speaking. icon_smile.gif

#36 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

The problem I see with making LI build a major version is that the ZScript has undergone some minor changes and many bugfixes since b254. Something tells me that scripting compatibility between the LI beta and the current version are largely untested. It may work 99% of the time but I can't speak on behalf of the other developers for the other 1%, so guaranteeing forward compatibility could indeed cause delay. I can't say for certain.

That said, I'm all for a 2.20 from the LI beta. Some form of official beta is way overdue.

#37 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

I say go for, its been years since any sort of official release.

#38 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

I tried to introduce ZC to a friend of mine recently. It was harder than it needed to be. Took him a while to find out that 2.10 is crashy on his machine, and 2.5 is still unstable in places. (It forgot his joystick settings.)

ZC is pretty impenetrable to new users as is. They need something like this.

#39 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

regarding abilities of new users to plug and play, I know I always wanted the ability to have friends download one file that autoboots my quest and prompts them to configure the keys/buttons and then plays the quest without other tinkering. ZQ doesn't need to be intuitive, but ZC should be cake to package with a quest and have nongamers grasp utilization. on topic: "2.20" = why not?

#40 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Aug 9 2010, 08:53 PM) View Post
The problem I see with making LI build a major version is that the ZScript has undergone some minor changes and many bugfixes since b254. Something tells me that scripting compatibility between the LI beta and the current version are largely untested. It may work 99% of the time but I can't speak on behalf of the other developers for the other 1%, so guaranteeing forward compatibility could indeed cause delay. I can't say for certain.
I think _L_'s tested this and made some fixes for it, I'm not sure how thoroughly though. There's some flag called 'gotolessnotequal' or something hideous that it took me ages to work out what it did, but it's to do with this.

#41 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

good to know there is quite a few on board this idea, even Dark Nation has expressed interest.

#42 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

And even if it does get made official, the next step would be to contact Wild Bill via. facebook to get our database to allow such a choice. That seems to be the one way to communicate with him. It might also be a good idea to remove the following version choices as well, as I don't think anybody really uses them anymore: any listed 1.92 builds before 182. Thus the only options should be 1.90, 1.92 B182 (also counts for 183 and 184), 2.10, and eventually 2.20.

#43 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

I suppose the issues with the old versions could be fixed, too. 1.92 shouldn't make 1.90's gleeoks twice as hard and stuff like that. not new features for old versions, just relatively simple fixes on their bugs and errors and weirdnesses.

#44 Solarrain4

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between

• Members

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Aug 10 2010, 12:13 PM) View Post

And even if it does get made official, the next step would be to contact Wild Bill via. facebook to get our database to allow such a choice.

Also, someone should then update Lost Isle and Origin to be officially listed as 2.2 quests.

But yeah, I'm all for this. I've yet to encounter ANY bugs with this build, so definitely, go for it.

#45 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Sooo.is this happening, or are there still loose ends?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users