Why do we have quest passwords?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

What's the point to passwording a quest anyways? Do people just not want to share the ZQuest tricks they used with others? I think that all quests should tell you the quest password at the end so nobody can cheat, but you can still look around after you're done playing...

Common logic of "Person A released it first" can solve any problems of someone attempting to "Steal a quest", so why do so many people password their quests?

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 8 2010, 10:38 AM) View Post
What's the point to passwording a quest anyways? Do people just not want to share the ZQuest tricks they used with others? I think that all quests should tell you the quest password at the end so nobody can cheat, but you can still look around after you're done playing...

Common logic of "Person A released it first" can solve any problems of someone attempting to "Steal a quest", so why do so many people password their quests?
No. The passwords are there to protect your work. For example, I have a lot of tiles and music in my quest that I do not want other people to have, simply because they're exclusive to THP, and if everyone else had them too, it would make it obsolete, sort of. Let's take the castle tiles I drew as an example. If everyone was using the same castle tiles, I could have just dropped actually making them, and just gone with the normal ones that are already in DoR. The reason I want it to be exclusive, is because it helps give the game its own feeling. So that when you play The Hylian Phoenix, it will literally feel different from say, Dance of Remembrance, even though they're using the same tileset as a base.

I'm not saying that quest passwords is for anyone though. There are people who want their work to be taken on by others, and I don't mind that, but when you spend as much time with a game as I have with THP, you'll want it to be as perfect and unique as possible, even given the limitations we have with Zelda Classic.

I wouldn't be too scared of anyone stealing my quest though... as I've explained, I'm more worried about the stealing of tiles and music. Don't get me wrong, I want to release the full album of music once the quest is done, but in formats unusable for other quests. THP has a fully custom soundtrack, and it would be really weird to hear the THP songs in another quest, or seeing my own custom tiles, stolen by somebody else. Again, I'm not saying everyone should use passwords. If you want to share your work, that's awesome of you, and I applaud that decision, but for THP, that's not how I want to do things, and that's why we have the passwords. icon_razz.gif

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

The thing is, tiles can be grabbed by use of the snapshot feature, and a lot of people forget to check the no save box in midi options, so music can be grabbed in midi info using the save button. The only thing standing between the player and the quest's tiles and midis is really common ZC etiquette.

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 8 2010, 12:23 PM) View Post
The thing is, tiles can be grabbed by use of the snapshot feature, and a lot of people forget to check the no save box in midi options, so music can be grabbed in midi info using the save button. The only thing standing between the player and the quest's tiles and midis is really common ZC etiquette.
I don't forget to check that box in the midi settings, so I don't have that problem. And yes, people can in theory rip tiles from screenshots, but it's not as easy, and it does require a little editing. That, and whoever does it most likely need to take lots of different screenshots in order to get all the castle tiles for example.

You're right, it's not impossible to be a thief, but it makes it harder with the password feature. In my opinion, it's the best feature in ZC icon_unsettled.gif

#5 cosmofield

cosmofield

Magical Girl

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

In my opinion, the main reason that the quest maker always should add a password is to deny the possibility to cheat. icon_smile.gif

#6 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Yeah cheating just takes all the fun out of the game. That is just me.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

Cheating is sometimes necessary when you encounter a game stopping bug. The people who immediately cheat are usually the same people who give up when the going gets tough. It's up to the player to show restraint in my opinion.

#8 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 8 2010, 10:40 AM) View Post

Cheating is sometimes necessary when you encounter a game stopping bug. The people who immediately cheat are usually the same people who give up when the going gets tough. It's up to the player to show restraint in my opinion.

That's when you ask the developer for the password politely. This is a pretty pointless thing topic to be honest. If you want to know how somebody did something just ask them.

#9 RedDeathX7

RedDeathX7

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Quest passwords are also helpful to protect your quest so that one cannot steal it and possibly change some things and take credit for it.

#10 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

I think passwords are dumb. If i release a quest which would include ALL ZQuest tricks i used and all tiles i worked hard to rip for, i would never put a password on it.

I think It will help a lot of newbies interested in ZC to just open up the quest and learn how everything is done. If they want some graphics.. so what? It's just Zelda Classic and it's nothing to get worked up over with. It's not like they are stealing an important school project or a book that i wrote and try to gain credit from it.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

I only use passwords to keep people from cheating their way through the game. And I put the password at the end of the quest so people can open it up and look around. Really, I love tearing apart quests and seeing how they were made, how certain tricks were done, etc. That's why I don't like passwords.

#12 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

I personally don't like giving out passwords because I tend to be a fan of big secrets. If you have access to everything inside, then it kind of defeats the purpose of it being so secret. I'm not so worried about music or the like since 90% of it is very easily found or comes with the set, and anything else I make is probably stuff people wouldn't really want to steal anyways. icon_razz.gif It's just that I wanted to keep my secrets just that: secret.

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

My view on passwords is pretty much the same as Christian's. I've never passworded anything.

#14 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

So there's the answer, there are those who don't like passwords who will not put them on their quests and there are those who find them necessary for one reason or another and will put them on their quest.

There's no point in getting rid of the system, if you want to know something about a passworded quest just PM the dev.

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

I think Passwords are 50-50 lets say people are not on PureZC and take something and claim as own in a different website that you don't know of? But in the other hand it helps people learn more rather then a long complex paragraphs that may puzzle them?

Why even bother claiming as own? Why not ask the creator can I have these or them? Because Its far less trouble.

Edited by Midnight_King, 09 May 2010 - 01:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users