ZC in Ubuntu Hardy Heron 64-bit

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Zieg30CT

Zieg30CT

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

Damn icon_wacky.gif recommend a good site to upload the file and I'll upload it there for you to download. I'll PM you the link once it is uploaded. Hopefully it wouldn't take 73 hours then.

Edited by Zieg30CT, 16 September 2008 - 04:58 PM.

#32 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

Nah, I'll let this run through. I've got no problem waiting.

#33 Zieg30CT

Zieg30CT

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

The wait is worth it in my opinion

#34 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

If no one objects, this baby's getting pinned.

#35 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:39 AM

So the question lies, does this work on a Windows Version?

If so, do you think it'd be a good idea to compile an SNES sounding patch to make it sound authentic? icon_razz.gif

#36 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:29 AM

Do these fixes ONLY work with Ubuntu 64-bit? I'm running Windows for the moment, but I plan on getting a new machine to sit next to this one as my dev machine that will also be used for ZC, and I plan on it running Linux, so this would be good to know.

#37 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman)
Do these fixes ONLY work with Ubuntu 64-bit?

Oh no. These fixes work regardless of the bit edition, thankfully.

QUOTE(Alestance)
So the question lies, does this work on a Windows Version?

It should.

QUOTE(Alestance)
If so, do you think it'd be a good idea to compile an SNES sounding patch to make it sound authentic? icon_razz.gif

If you can find one that isn't ungodly huge or badly out of tune or missing instruments, go for it. Last I checked, there were none that fit this criteria.

#38 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:56 AM

Perhaps a NES sounding patch?

Anyways - under Windows, as I understand it, Allegro just sends midi data to hte soundcard which then turns it into sound. It may be possible to load a soundfont onto your soundcard too with special drivers, I haven't tried.

Having allegro synthesize the sound itself means that job gets shifted from the soundcard (that might have special hardware for it) to the processor. If not necessary, I don't know if that's desirable.

#39 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Sep 19 2008, 09:17 AM) View Post

If you can find one that isn't ungodly huge or badly out of tune or missing instruments, go for it. Last I checked, there were none that fit this criteria.

Well, I have one thats neither ungodly huge nor badly out of tune, but missing some instruments. I can take a small GM soundfont and load the instruments from the SNES soundfont over it. Do you have a small GM soundfont, or know of one? Because, other than Synthfont's original soundfont, I know of none.

Edit: Actually, I have two, one is the Square soundfont, the other, General SNES. Chances are, I could take both and mix them together well so that very few instruments are actually from the original soundfont, but things like the Helicopter, Bird tweet, etc, probably won't be replaced, Infact, a lot of the synths may not be replaced either, but, hey, close is better than nothing.

As for the NES one, Koopa, That may be a bit tough. I think that there would be a lot of instruments copied, and it'd probably be better to take Vintage Dream Waves soundfont and organize it to GM. Theres too many sounds to sift through on it though, I think some 400 instruments, and I don't know if I'd have the patience.

Edited by Alestance, 19 September 2008 - 10:48 AM.

#40 Koopa

Koopa

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Unison is huge, but not ungodly (25MB) - yet it has a bit of an "echo".

Zophar (http://www.zophar.ne.../soundfont.html) has a few Nintendo-specific ones, but their legality is likely to be - along with roms and midis ripped from nintendo games or roms thereof - questionable.

#41 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

I perfer Fluid to Unison, and it happens to be in the Ubuntu Repository. But, like I asked, do you have a particularly small soundfont size under, say, 2 megs?

#42 Koopa

Koopa

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

Apart from those on zophar's site, I don't have one myself. And none of those is perfect either.

#43 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

Eh well, I figured that using these patches doesn't work on Windows. And they didn't necessarily have to be perfect, the fact that they, sound similar enough works. So, I took the soundfont from Synthfont, the SYNTHGM.SF2, and just replaced all the instruments on it that I could with instruments from the SNES soundfont off of Zophar. There are some sounds that are still from the original soundfont, but most are SNES-sounding now.

I'm not willing to call it complete, but at least its usable.

Here its in .7z format so you need 7zip to decompress it, otherwise it'd be 5.5 megs.

Scratch that, during the conversion from SF2 to DAT, MANY of the sounds stopped functioning correctly

Edited by Alestance, 19 September 2008 - 11:45 AM.

#44 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

I like Reality GM/GS, myself. About 32 MB. Sounds good and converts flawlessly.
Still downloading that gigabyte one, though.

#45 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

I didn't think it was worth the wait, the Crisis GM one. icon_shrug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users