Photo

What Was Your First Attempt at a Quest Like?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:44 PM

I might as well tell mine :/

It was called "Ganon's World". I was a BIG noob in Z Quest. I didn't know what about %99.9 of stuff did. I thought that the "Friendly Enemy" combos were enemies. I couldn't figure out how to play the quest, make working puzzles, put real enemies on the screen, etc. I used a warp at screen 00 to teleport link to the real starting screen. It was a MESS!
  • Jared likes this

#17 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:00 AM

My first quest attempt was awful. Absolutely disgusting. It was a "Let's follow the tutorial" quest, but I couldn't even figure out the sword cave. I ended up putting all my caves on a different DMap instead of figuring out the NES ones because the guys would appear on the overworld. Bikdip's tutorial was for an older version and didn't cover DMap flags. Then I remember I made a maze path and a bunch of forest screens that didn't make any sense and were literally just trees and ground tiles. Two types of tiles, that's it. I think I might've made a third for trees you could walk through, because that's a good idea, right? Somewhere in this forest there was just a 200 rupee on the ground in the middle of nowhere. "Ayyyy lmao!" Then in the first dungeon, I discovered layers. One of my puzzles had you walk under a statue that was on layer 6 and this gave you an item. I think I used Entrance/Exit warps for every warp in this quest, which caused continue bugs and spooked me out of using them at all in LQftH. The boss of Level 1 was just an aquamentus that rained fire from the ceiling. The fire was falling rock enemies. After that I forget what the rest of the quest was like. Level 2 was forgettable, for the boss I tried to make a Dark Link custom boss and used all of four screens to do this. It was terrible. I don't remember if I made a third dungeon. Even I at the time knew this quest wasn't database worthy and scrapped it.

Then a couple failed ideas later, Link's Quest for the Hookshot happened. My first quest could've been worse than one that had two dungeons with mandatory damage, a dungeon where the subscreen is invisible, a dungeon that almost nobody could figure out how to beat, and some of the cringiest dialogue known to mankind. Imagine that.

• Eddy, Jared and KingPridenia like this

#18 EJSnowden

EJSnowden

Initiate

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:21 AM

Found it.

2nd dungeon:

Spoiler

Overworld:

Spoiler

Edited by EJSnowden, 30 March 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#19 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:49 AM

Here you go

This quest basically started my descent into madness with so many quests. It was one of those horrible quests with the worst recolouring, bad transitions, horrible dungeons, and the most illogical design choices. There's a point early on in the quest where you get the Hookshot, but it's completely useless because the subscreen was Z1-style. The final dungeon was also a pretty big mess. Thank god nobody plays it anymore lol

#20 BigJoe

BigJoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:52 AM

My first quest was made with the Classic tileset, with the BS Zelda palette. It made Link look like a ghost, so I thought "Hey, we'll roll with this!"

It didn't roll far.

#21 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:53 AM

A quest where I didn't know how layers worked, so for every single overlay, I used the overheard combo instead.

Also the dungeons were like 6 screens, and I stole like a million sprites from other tilesets.

Also it was made in NewFirst.

• Jared likes this

#22 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

Mine was a pretty standard classic-style quest that didn't really do anything ground breaking. It had some pretty decent dungeons, but the overworld was kind of just a winding path from dungeon to dungeon that didn't really promote exploration. It taught me the basics of Zelda Classic, but it would have probably just faded into obscurity if I had released it.

#23 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

Mine had an extremely clever title: Theryan's 1st Quest. It used newfirst and every palette was fucked up because I didn't realize the palette was determined by the DMap, not the screen in the editor. It was really stupid and simple but man I wish I still had that file.

#24 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

I cannot remember my first attempt at a quest on ZC. I'm assuming it was bad. :(

A while ago, I changed computers (because the old one had a bad virus) and I lost all my 2.10 stuff. 

Edited by Joelmacool, 30 March 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#25 Anthus

Anthus

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

I remember using classic, and using the dungeon water tiles as grass cause they were green in the over world palette. I also thought, for some reason, every screen needed a side warp, which was impossible, and further confusing. Needless to say, my first "quest" was utterly unplayable.

#26 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

I believe I have managed to find the map of my first quest:

689OiNU.png

BLAH :augh: Awful, and the play-through is even worse. 

• Eddy and Jared like this

#27 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

I can't help but notice "SEA" to the top-right of the map. That is some quality content :P

• Jared, MarinaraSauce, Matthew and 1 other like this

#28 Anthus

Anthus

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:08 AM

Kivitoe, I see you did the same thing as me with the dungeon water as grass :P it seems like a common mistake.

#29 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

Okay, I'll post some maps. :P

"First Temple Made", aka my first try with ZQ ever. Seems I got some sort of grasp at it. That little pyramid thing on the middle left is Link's "house". :P

Spoiler

I'm sure people remember this one. My first "real" quest, Island Destiny. This is when I first started using Dance of Remembrance. It definitely had structure, and didn't turn out too bad. I think two dungeons were completely done, even! Also I dunno what happened with the double screens near the top, probably some weird copy and paste confusion. :P

Spoiler

And how could anyone forget Zelda X: Legends of Akalore?! :P There were also about 2-3 dungeons done in this quest. Come to think of it, a lot of temples were completed in my past quests, besides the Classic one. This was the game where you would collect the baby cuccos that escaped TP's Hyrule and bring them back to their mother. XD

Spoiler

• Shane, Eddy and Kivitoe like this

#30 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

Well, I'm still working on my first quest ever, but you should of seen some of the early stages of my work. It was bad. Super cryptic and terrible screen design. Instead of scrapping my game, I have chosen improve what I have already created. If you want, you can watch some videos to see my improvement.

Stage 1: This is just bad. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=7-du0N28ojI

https://www.youtube....h?v=q69-f-lrbPE

Stage 2: It is playable but still needs improvement

https://www.youtube....h?v=m5GqIdn4l44

https://www.youtube....h?v=m4YsCPXRJ5k

Stage 3: Current demo. Many improvements. This is actually starting to look good. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=iH8xRoH6v_w

https://www.youtube....h?v=quTYkvnBt1U

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users