Photo

Why can't Zelda Classic Just Work Like This?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

I like pretty much all the aged stuff about ZC: The way the graphics are all in one big block with numbers for each 16x16 tile instead of separate files, the way the music is all MIDI (fite me IRL), and even the limited palettes. All of it adds up to what I find to be the optimal design experience. I feel super out of place when I try to use SMBX and have to edit a bunch of tiny files in Gimp whenever I want to make the tiniest graphical tweaks. I also can't get used to the larger tilesheets of sprite animations where the frames are all spaced out instead of squished together so I can't tell the tile divisions well. I worry if I try to branch out from ZC that I'll run into similar problems. Palettes, messy tile pages, and MIDI are all on the way out it seems and I'm one of the few that miss them.

• Shane, Eddy, Binx and 2 others like this

#17 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

If I were to be honest, Zelda Classic seems perfect the way it is. It's easy to get used to, and it's a great way to make your quests fast and efficiently, mostly because everything is condensed into one folder which seems to work very well IMO. If Zelda Classic really did turn to what SLG posted, I dunno what I would do since I'm so unfamiliar with stuff like that lol.

• Shane and SyrianBallaS like this

#18 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

There's Hyrule Magic, but you need to know assembly for that for z3 rom hacking

Think of the gameshark/game genie as a romhacker.

Organization. You exactly what's what, and affects what

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 05 June 2015 - 11:38 AM.

• Logos likes this

#19 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

If I were to be honest, Zelda Classic seems perfect the way it is. It's easy to get used to, and it's a great way to make your quests fast and efficiently, mostly because everything is condensed into one folder which seems to work very well IMO. If Zelda Classic really did turn to what SLG posted, I dunno what I would do since I'm so unfamiliar with stuff like that lol.

Easy to get used to? Eight years and several tutorials later, I still have no idea what anything is.

Is there a unified tutorial everyone here used that makes Zelda Classic NOT feel like that recurring nightmare where you have to give a presentation for class, but you forgot both your presentation and your pants? And if so, can someone link it?

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#20 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

Easy to get used to? Eight years and several tutorials later, I still have no idea what anything is.

Well, I was just saying in general lol. But I'll admit, it did take me some time myself, but I would still see it to be easier to get used to than other programs I've worked with.

Edited by Eddy, 05 June 2015 - 12:07 PM.

• Avaro likes this

#21 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

I used RPGMaker VX for about a week.Couldn't get used to it, at all. ZC's a much easier engine to design in.

• Avaro, Jared and SyrianBallaS like this

#22 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:15 PM

I used RPGMaker VX for about a week.Couldn't get used to it, at all. ZC's a much easier engine to design in.

gamemaker is similar when it comes to tiles.

Everybody has different approaches, the main coherence in logic is OOP (since the 80s).

It is ALOT easier and you don't have to dig through stuff just to find one little thing.

ZC isn't that sophisticated yet, but it's usable.

With a system like RPGMaker's, you don't need to fit all of your tiles, sprites, etc into an interal tile page that's tied to the quest file itself, you can edit graphics in something like GraphicsGale and edit more than 1 tile at a time, not worry about palette restrictions, and have better organization. Same thing goes for music, sounds, UI, etc. It also makes importing things hella easy. There's definitely some advantages to such a system, but I also like that ZC allows me to manipulate all of these things directly from the editor.

if you feel like doing UI's Qt Designer is good for beginners, it writes the code for you if not complex. It's cross-platform, and can use a variety of programming languages (mainly C++)

edit: uses resources and script translation files to use in a cross compiler (CMake). Plus the files as are before being translated, are small.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 05 June 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#23 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

I'm not saying everything has to be SNES Zelda 3.

I just want the ability to import things Easier into the already existing engine + extra features built onto what you guys already have is alls.

====

One thing i do like with rpg maker a bits is you can actually make scenes with Multiple sprites and have them walk and 

move several different directions on the game tile floor as if they are acting just like real humans.

Easy commands and also Tons of Event Switches built into the system and easy to use and make multiple story scenes

as i have before with characters talking, interrupting -eachother jumping up and down. Moving backwards with sprite fixed etc.

Why Can't Zelda Classic have a built in system like this? 

Move chara -  Left, left, Faceright, Jump, Jump, Face downward, Move Up facing down,  Etcz.  Those type of commands.

It's a real pain that everything real unique has to be scripted nonstop.

The key tools should just be right there already built into the editor.

At  5:24  - of vid.  LOOK At The Scene Event Movement Interface below:

^^ Why can't Zelda Classic At least have something like that built into this Editor we use??

• Logos likes this

#24 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

Simple explanation.

ZQuest is perfectly optimized for making Legend of Zelda quests. Anything else that it has is just tacked on. All its organizational choices, like the built in tile, music, what-have-you editors, make it easier to make your game if it's more like a "normal" quest. That is, it's not an RPGMaker-style engine. It's a quest editor. It makes quests, except for people (including me) insane enough to wrestle it into our own game engines.

If you want a more flexible game engine, don't use a LoZ quest editor. Use a game engine.

(P.S. I use both)

• TheLegend_njf, Timelord, Binx and 2 others like this

#25 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

^^

I agree, this is a zelda quest creator.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be OOP though

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 05 June 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#26 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:04 PM

Yes, I'd love to have OOP ZScript. Or even just structs. But in the meantime it's helpful to remember that you're using a programming language someone whipped up to customize a glorified level editor into whatever the heck you want.

P.S. Structs in ZScript plz? Kthxbai.

• Binx and SyrianBallaS like this

#27 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:44 PM

no structs, just classes

you like memory leaks and redefining everything as private or protected boy?

I know you're joking

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 05 June 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#28 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

Why not structs? From my limited knowledge, they seem like they'd be dead useful.

#29 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

Why not structs? From my limited knowledge, they seem like they'd be dead useful.

struct and classes are templates for a data structure

structs are public, classes are private. You can define what's public inside a class.

You can just call a data structure like a Linked-List as a private data member.

moral of the story, structs are unreliable

Edited by DaviAwesome, 05 June 2015 - 10:45 PM.
Removed a line from the post.

#30 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

Saffith makes Zelda Classic. You should tell Saffith you want change. Saffith is a reasonable human and will give you much consideration I think.

What about the rest of us? Give the rest of the developers some time too. Also ZC Doesn't work this way cause it doesn't need to nor do you want it to. This isn't Final Fantasy Classic. It's Zelda Classic. Visit AGN for info on FF Classic. Unless your making a strict rpg style quest you don't need an event system.

Edited by Mero, 06 June 2015 - 08:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users