Do you like Zelda Classic?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Koh, I just really don't get why you constantly bring it up.  I mean, it seems like every other week you find a new place to harp on about it.  How hard is it to realize that people are going to use the tool for making games that is most applicable for what they want to do?  For most people here, that's Zelda Classic.  For you, it's Game Maker.  And that's cool.  But you seem to just be on a sort of mission to convert people from Zelda Classic, and even when you say that you don't have anything against ZC, it feels insincere because you almost always tend to toss in backhanded compliments toward ZC.

Just get off your pedestal and let people do what they want with their game development.

(To be fair, you haven't been that bad in this topic, but I think this has been in need of being said for a while now.)

Anyway, I'm obviously a fan of Zelda Classic. :P I just wish I had more time to devote to it, really.  I feel like other stuff constantly is pulling me in so many other directions, so I can't focus on it when I'm most inspired.

People keep asking the same questions, so they get the same answers XD.  How many threads about opinions on ZC have been made THIS YEAR alone?  My opinion hasn't changed the whole time:  Excellent starting program, and can create wonderful games, but doesn't sate my hunger for my serious development projects.  

Also, not telling people NOT to use ZC, but telling them that the issues they're running into are BECAUSE they're using ZC.  There is a difference =3.

#32 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Maybe nobody wants to be rude enough to tell you they don't care about your opinion.

Now, that sounds God awful I just said that, and I'm sorry if it sounds as bad as it seems. :P So I'll try and explain myself. While your opinions are respected, why not just keep them to yourself? I've made the same mistake myself many times, take for instance when it comes to my opinions, thoughts, and feelings about Nintendo. Part of me knew nobody cared because these opinions I had simply didn't belong in these forums, but it was hard for me to let go.

So, word to the wise, just let it go. :P

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 03 December 2013 - 10:44 AM.

• Hergiswi and Jared like this

#33 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

I hate to be Billy Buzzkill here, but this is really getting a bit off topic. It would really be a shame to have to lock a thread praising the merits of the program that brought us all together because we can't stay on the topic at hand and stop stepping on each other's toes. So please, lets go back to discussing the program that inspired us all to make some fantastic games.

#34 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

I've been a ZC user for over 8 years now. Though I've cut back, it's been a significant part of my life to be honest. Not just the program, but the community itself is what started me as "Valientlink", which is where I'm known all over the internet.

• Jared and Evan20000 like this

#35 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Here's a question for you guys: What would you say you love the most about ZC? Your favorite feature or features of ZC?

#36 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Favourite features would have to be the enemy, item and subscreen editors for me. I like spending time in them, more so than actually building screens. But that's just me!

#37 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Discovering loopholes and zany things that people only thought was possible through scripts.

#38 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

You can make amazing quests with lot of features even without scripts, guys like Shoelace and Peteo are good examples. Lost Isle is still the best quest for me, and it has zero scripts... Same with Hero of Dreams, Golvellius, The Hero's Memory, Megaman DRWR DC, IHM2... Before, the big problem was making bosses, but apart from that, ZC was a fantastic program in the good hands, even in the old days.

Edited by Air Luigi, 03 December 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#39 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

My favorite feature is obviously scripting. There's just so much that scripting lets you do that you can't with vanilla ZC, but at the same time there's a nice balance of stuff you can't do. ZScript is purely an added feature and that's just the way I like it. If I were able to mess directly with ZC's engine or even write a new one from scratch, I'd be more hopelessly lost than you can possibly imagine.

#40 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

The enemy and item editors, as I mentioned in my initial post. With the enemy editor, you can make your own neat enemies and even change their weaknesses around. I tend to do things like make fire magic insta-kill Gibdos while making Wizzrobes killable with arrows while being more tolerant to the sword. Sometimes I also use it to make up my own "3rd quest" where my dream of sword throwing Darknuts becomes a reality. In short, I love using it to make people adopt new strategies, not the same cliche stun with boomerang and pound on it with your sword.

The item editor on the other hand is really neat and I've used it to the degree where you have an enemy that is only affected by magic, but unless you have the Magic Book to amp its damage from 2 up to 4, it will simply block your magic. Not only that, but you can balance the quest to your liking. Maybe Naryu's Love is too cheap and you want it to use 8 bars of magic? Or do you want to give the player an enchanted quiver that slowly recovers his arrows over time? I also use it to take advantage of mechanics such as using the Worn-Out Glove to push a rock leading to level 3, but to solve a block puzzle within level 4, you need the Power Bracelet, since the former only allows 1 push per screen.

Overall, both are noob friendly and even without scripting, you can get some pretty neat stuff done with those editors. For that I am grateful.

#41 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'm posting again, considering what I said wasn't really a feature.

I find it difficult to choose what feature I like best.

Tile Editor @ Combo Editor: It's my artistic outlet, the ability to create and import tiles is the bulk of my work. The combo editor allows things I make to do things. Lol

Palette Editor: Sometimes a good collection of palettes can change something dull to something unique. Palettes create atmosphere.

Side Scrolling: I love this wonderful feature that the community hates. :P

Enemy Editor: Here is where I can be Dr. Frankenstien and make crazy Temple of Cole monsters.

Item Editor & Subscreen Editor: this one is pretty much obvious.

#42 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Here's a question for you guys: What would you say you love the most about ZC? Your favorite feature or features of ZC?

What I love the most about ZC is that you can use virtually any tiles you'd like (not only from importing but there is a wide variety of tile sets to use). This, and the wide variety of MIDIs available both through PZC and VGMusic give you a hell of a lot to work with if you know how to use the program. I still have yet to make the leap to 2.5 (close to doing so though), so my favorite feature may differ from others. I'd say my favorite feature would be the MIDI importer. Music to me is probably the most important part of a quest. It's what adds the atmosphere more than the tiles in my opinion. If you built a beautiful sunset mountain and put the megaman 1 intro music to it, there would be little appeal.

#43 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Zelda Classic is an okay program I guess, it gets what I expected done for when I'm working in it.

#44 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Enemy editor! I just love making custom enemies, they're so much fun! If you can't script custom bosses, the enemy editor is the next closest thing I guess.

#45 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Nope not at all. I do not like ZC at all. I prefer my programs to be mores scantly dressed. But that's just me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users