• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

Don't get this. Use BassMIDI instead.

Ok guys! AZCEMS IS HERE! Now lets get this going, shall we?

First of all, legal mumbo jumbo.

Timidity++ is under the GNU General Public License.

All soundfonts are copyright of their respected owners and creators. They're freely available for NON COMMERCIAL USE

With that out of the way, lets begin.

First, make sure you have enough RAM. I would guestimate that it would require at least 256 megs of ram and a decent processor to utilize this. You also need at least 200 megs of hard drive space available for use.

Windows XP Instructions

First of all, you need to install Timidity++.
The site is in Japanese, but I'm sure you can read which file to get. If not: TiMidity-CVS081206_setup_ENG.exe
This should be a fairly simple process.

Second step. Download necessary soundfonts.
Set 1 includes the Chronotrigger, Electroinic, Mario Paint, K.K. Slider, NES, Drums, and Merlin Gold soundfonts.
Set 2 Contains Megadrive/Genesis soundfont

Third Step. Replace timidity configuration file with THIS ONE Your timidity++ configuration file should be in your C:\WINDOWS directory.

Forth and Final Step. Make Timidity++ your selected driver.

XP Users: Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio and select Timidity++ Driver as your default MIDI Music playback device.

Vista & 7 32 Bit Instructions(Untested)
Follow the above instructions, then install the following: CP Object and set the driver.

Windows 7 (and possibly Vista) 64bit Instructions
Follow the above instructions(both XP AND Vista/7 32 bit), download MidiYoke 1.75
Then do as this handy quote box says:

In vista midi mapper you have to choose:
Out to MIDI Yoke: 1
(it works for me for windows media player, but dosbox has to be configered separately in its dosbox.conf)

In timidity synthesizer icon you choose preferences and in synthesizer tab you
choose:
Port max 1
Port 0: In from MIDI Yoke: 1
(other ports are not important as you need only one)
(timidity player preferences doesn't have synthesizer tab)

In timidity synthesizer icon you choose preferences and in output tab you choose windows audio driver.
precision 16-bit (8-bit has extra hissing noise )

In timidity synthesizer icon you choose "start synthesizer" and check whether it has changed to "stop synthesizer" (if it doesn't change it is not started)

You need to have the Timidity Synthesizer program open(c:\timidity\twsyng.exe) And you need to make sure its receiving input from MidiYoke. After that, start the synthesizer in the control pannel and boom.

Guides

Set up you that MIDI A guide that explains the intricate process of setting up a MIDI to use alternate banks. Be warned, that the method doesn't always work. But when it does, celebrate for great justice!

Other Stuff

Props to Questwizard88 on AG for telling me about the Timidity++ Driver.

Blood sweat and tears not included. icon_wink.gif

Other programs of interest: Synthfont Soundfont Player and Midi editor(Necessary for Bank Select Course statements),
Anvil Studio(Necessary to initiate GM-Events,
Vienna Soundfont builder(Necessary if you want to develop soundfonts for use with AZCEMS)

Examples: One
Two
It in action

Later on, I'll upload a guide on how to set up MIDIs to use the alternate soundbanks, and a guide on how to prepare and manage the Timidity++ Configuration file.

Also, any song made using AZCEMS is almost completely backwards compatible with General MIDI(Default Windows MIDI Driver) The only exception is the Electronic bank.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, OR PROBLEMS ASK!

#2 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

I was just thinking about this. I've already been using this set-up for my own computer and I wondered how to introduce it to ZC players. I'm sick of hearing the standard Windows soundfont in all you guys' videos.

If you've got the power, I suggest you try such soundfonts as RealFont, FluidR3, GeneralUser GS and Cadenza.

I'm even working on a Link to the Past soundfont. I might post it here when it's ready.

#3 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

Oh please do. Despite the fact that this is generating very little attention. Any help would be appreciated, though.

#4 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Well, I honestly don't quite know what to say. I bet it's cool, but I'm just too lazy to load it down and set it up and stuff icon_frown.gif Shame on me. If I was gonna play a quest using that, I'd go through the process, but right now: Seriously? No. Sorry.
I appreciate the effort, though, of course. I might be using it one day, but not today. I think you deserve two thumbs up for this whatsoever. So, well done, I'd say.

#5 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

Aha! Laziness. This thing is a little technical if you don't know what it does right away, but here's how it works:
Timidity is a full replacement for built-in Windows synth across all programs. it's incredibly powerful and it lets you load any .sf2 soundfont ever made, even if you don't have compatible hardware. If you set it as your default midi driver, it'll work with every program that does midi.

Alestance's instructions only cover his soundfonts, and I should note that if you want to load your own selection, you'll need to find or write a config file. But it only takes about five minutes to understand how they work, and it comes with a variety of config files for most popular soundfonts anyway so you can usually find what you need.

#6 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Sounds like you know a great deal about Timidity++.

Please tell me you're familiar with setting up drumsets, because I had to cheat to make them work. icon_shrug.gif

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Downloading the goods now. icon_smile.gif I'm so looking forward to using this. icon_smile.gif

#8 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

Assuming the drums are laid out as they are in most soundfonts (meaning they're compatible with pretty much every midi file written these days), I usually just cheat and use the preset list from one of the other config files. The tricky part is setting the pan and amp. if you don't want to bother, just keep the amp at 128 and leave the pan alone.

For example:
CODE
drumset 0
0 %font "FluidR31 GM.SF2" 128 0 35 amp=206 pan=0

This goes on for 127 more lines, with a bunch of different values. I just cut n' paste, then use find/replace to get the right name for the soundfont file.

#9 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Well, for some reason, when I have the drumset set up like that, I don't hear any drums... icon_shrug.gif

I don't get what the "35" is...

Another thing. Is there a limit to how many sound fonts can be loaded at once? I'm encountering a strange problem with the NES and Megadrive soundsets.

Also, I set it up for Merlin Gold because its small, Fluid is huge and I would have to tell people to find it themselves, and THATS NO GOOD. So if they want to replace Merlin Gold with Fluid or Real, they have the option to.

#10 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

That was just an example. "35" is a specific value and is often different from line to line. For the best results, copy+paste the ENTIRE drumset block from a config file meant for a general midi soundfont. It'll be several hundred lines in all. Don't change anything except the name of the soundfont used.

After that, if you don't hear any drums, it's either because the soundfont doesn't have those drums, or because the config file is wrong and you have to fix it manually, which is a tedious job.

#11 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

One small question - where do you put the files from your sound sets? The folder heirarchy of the timidity folder is very confusing.

#12 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:58 AM

I got Timidity set up, but my games end up running really slow after a little playing, so I guess I lack the resources to do this. (Yeah, I'm using a fairly low spec computer.)>_> And they sounded so good to.

#13 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

I too have no idea what to do with the two Soundset files. Please explain further. Also, how do I change the midi driver on Vista? Google didn't help me for once -.-

#14 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

Vista and Windows 7 don't have a built-in way to change your midi driver. But it can be done.
This should point you in the right direction.

#15 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Feb 13 2010, 08:46 AM) View Post

One small question - where do you put the files from your sound sets? The folder heirarchy of the timidity folder is very confusing.

I assumed you would have installed Timidity to the default location, so the configuration file looks for the sound fonts in C:\timidity\musix\

If you didn't install Timidity to the default location, you can either change the directory in the timidity.cfg file, or create the directories at C:\. Either way should work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users