Abs(-32) is 32.

#32 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

Urmmmm....

It's Modulus.
'Abs' is short for 'Absolute Parameter'.

The absolute parameter of a number is always positive, so if you take 'Abs' of a number it just returns it positive.

Abs(5) == 5
Abs(-5) == 5
Abs(Link->X-this->X) == distance between Link and this, always as a positive integer

EDIT: Beat me to it =P

Edited by Joe123, 27 April 2008 - 05:57 PM.

#33 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Zelda and Pokémon Master •

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(AgentLym @ Apr 27 2008, 06:49 PM) View Post

And also, I will probably just make a separate code for an up facing guard (where Link can't walk down past a certain point), a left facing guard (where Link can't walk right past a certain point), etc. Then I'll just make one more code for just a FFC that doesn't move, but can't be walked past.

The only problem with that is: Even if you walk to where a down facing guard was NOT, you still couldn't walk up. So you couldn't walk past the guard, but you couldn't go up somewhere beside him, either. Same with the up, right, and left facing guards, too.

But that problem can be fixed with a little screen design. icon_razz.gif

EDIT: (I didn't know there was a third page to this topic... heh. icon_razz.gif )

And, I changed the code so that it works even though you have the Magic or Master Sword. (before, it only stopped if you got the white sword, but once you got the magic sword, the guard blocked you again.

EDIT2: Ugh! Another problem. icon_wacky.gif I am trying to make... Oh what the heck. I'll just use the same code we've been working with so far. It's the best one I've got. I'll try to fix it tomorrow. G'night!

EDIT3: WAIT! What if I made a solid combo follow the FFC? The FFC could be an invisible block so there would be minimal graphic distortion. Is that possible? Do you think you could whip me up a quick, mach code for that so I could build on it? icon_biggrin.gif

If not, I'll try to figure it out, but I don't know if I can.

Edited by AgentLym, 27 April 2008 - 08:34 PM.

#34 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hey Joe! How did you make your "fairy" script for your quest, the Key to the Heavens? (if you don't mind, I have always wanted a fairy in my games) icon_biggrin.gif

I know that it probably wasn't very simple to make... So I may not understand it, but you never know! If you give me some tips, maybe I could make a script for my own fairy? icon_rolleyes.gif

That would be cool!

Also, would it be possible to create a Global script to go along with the fairy, so that as I go along, and defeat levels, you could press a button and the fairy would give you a hint? That would be alot easier than what I currently have planned for helping the character along in the story... icon_heh.gif

If Joe (or anybody for that matter icon_razz.gif ) wants to help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

#35 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(AgentLym @ Apr 28 2008, 12:11 AM) View Post

EDIT3: WAIT! What if I made a solid combo follow the FFC? The FFC could be an invisible block so there would be minimal graphic distortion. Is that possible? Do you think you could whip me up a quick, mach code for that so I could build on it? icon_biggrin.gif

Manipulating solidity via script requires a better knowledge of bitmasks than I'm able to offer.

QUOTE(AgentLym @ Apr 28 2008, 08:36 PM) View Post

Hey Joe! How did you make your "fairy" script for your quest, the Key to the Heavens? (if you don't mind, I have always wanted a fairy in my games) icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.armageddo...ad.php?t=100821

It's loosely based off that script, except I changed it to create a circle around Link using Pythagoras' Theorem instead of just an Abs box.

QUOTE(AgentLym @ Apr 28 2008, 08:36 PM) View Post

Also, would it be possible to create a Global script to go along with the fairy, so that as I go along, and defeat levels, you could press a button and the fairy would give you a hint? That would be alot easier than what I currently have planned for helping the character along in the story... icon_heh.gif

This is what my fairy does.

L is action, R is 'speak to Leaf'

Maybe I should just put my fairy script up in AGN's showcase?
I think you're the third person now to want to use it.

#36 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Maybe I should just put my fairy script up in AGN's showcase?
I think you're the third person now to want to use it.

That would be awesome! And I could learn some coding techniques from it too!

Make sure to put a semi-tutorial for your script (if you have to put the 'fairy' FFC in every screen, what to edit to make the fairy say what you want it to say, etc. icon_biggrin.gif )

#37 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

Oh no, you don't have to put an ffc on every screen at all.
It's handled by the global script.

You change the string that the fairy says with a little ffc script that just increments a global integer.

#38 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Oh. Cool! But does that still mean that for every screen you have the fairy on, you'd have to put a FFC to indicate the string you want the fairy to say? That wouldn't be too hard -- I was just wondering. icon_razz.gif

#39 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

No no >_<
The global script says 'Screen->Message(fairystring);' and the ffc script says 'fairystring = somevalue;'

So the string it plays is constant, then the ffc script just changes it to a different one when you reach that screen.

#40 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

But I thought FFC scripts only applied to actual FFCs... And I thought that it only worked if the FFCs were applied to the screen... I guess they don't. Heh. My bad.

I learn something everyday! icon_heh.gif

#41 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

If you declare an integer outside of a script, you can access it from any script.

#42 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

Huh. Cool!

Make sure to notify me if you do decide to put it up on AGN!

#43 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

Yah sure, don't worry.
I'll put it on my to-do list for the next couple of days.

#44 AgentLym

AgentLym

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hey Joe! I was looking in your thread about your quest, and I saw a screen with Link doing a somersault through a narrow opening in a forest. (page 6 in Key to the Heavens thread)

Did you use the same script that was put up in AGN for Link's "roll"? I got that, but when I put the script in and tested it, Link looks like he fell on his face and kept on sliding. Ouch.

How did you fix that?

#45 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

Urmmm...

Change the terminal velocity and acceleration due to gravity constants in the initial data dialogue until it works properly.

Well, having said that, which build are you in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users