3) New Features to Explore
4) FAQ
*Interface Questions
*Feature Questions
*Other Questions
*Bugs to look out for
5) Credits

1) PURPOSE

The general purpose of this document is to answer frequent questions and issues of Zelda Classic 2.10. This is not a complete documentation of Zelda Classic 2.10. It assumes you are switching from Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta Build 182-184. If you are new to Zelda Classic, this document might assist you in changes between a tutorial from 1.92.

2) GENERAL BACKGROUND OF 2.10

Zelda Classic 2.10 was released on January 1, 2005. After the long wait for a full version since 1.90, it was finally granted.

Unfortunately, Zelda Classic 2.10 is not considered to be the most stable release ever. You may prefer to stick with 1.92 until further bug fixes are released. This decision is really up to you, though information on some current bugs will be provided in this document.

This release was named 2.1 to avoid confusion with the ZC2.0 virus that has been floating around for awhile.

3) NEW FEATURES TO EXPLORE

Zelda Classic 2.10 has several new features to tinker with, the most apparant ones being in the updated interface.

* New Interface
* Mouse scroll functionality in several areas
* Improved tile editing functions
* Link Tile Modifications when picking up items
* New music formats supported (MP3, OGG, SPC)
* Ability to choose starting dmap in init data
* Nayru's Love and Farore's Wind
* And more...

4) FAQ

This section is the section most want to look at. Answers to common questions and issues.

INTERFACE QUESTIONS

Q: Why can I not write over an existing quest file when I save in ZQuest?

A: The reasoning for this being on by default is beyond me, but you can turn this off by going to etc->options. Uncheck the overwrite protection.

-

Q: Where did pit combos go? I can't find them.

A: Pit combos were renamed to "Direct Warp" combos.

-

Q: Why can't I play MP3's in ZQuest's music player?

A: This is the same reason that MOD tracker files cannot be played in it. There is only support for these files as external music formats thus far. They cannot be played from the music player since it only supports MIDIS.

-

Q: Why can I not edit the Link tiles positions via the Link tile dialog?

A: This dialog currently only displays Link tiles. Though ZQuest lets you do a tile select, it doesn't do anything.

-

FEATURE QUESTIONS

Q: Where do I find the Link tile mods?

A: You will find the Link tile mods under Quest->Graphics->Sprites. In here, edit an item such as the bow (any item you can keep in your inventory). You should find a field called "Tile Mod."

Q: How do the Link tile mods work?

A: The Link tile mods work by adding X tiles to the location of the Link tiles. For instance, if you put 20 in the field for your Link tile mod on a bow, when you get the bow in a quest, the Link tiles will start refering to 20 tiles away from the original position.

Q: Can I add Link tile mods together?

A: Yes you can. If you were to have the value 30 on some arrows, then the Link tiles would refer to 50 tiles away (20 + 30). If for some reason, you got arrows first, then the Link tile mod would refer to 30 tiles away, then later go up to 50 when you obtain the bow.

This wasn't the best explaination. If you are still having difficulty with this, refer to other resources.

-

Q: What are quest keys and how do I use them?

A: Quest keys are small text files that allow you to open a quest without a password in ZQuest or activate all cheats of a quest by default in Zelda Classic (regardless of whether a cheat code has been entered). To generate this file when saving, go to Quest->Header and check "Save Key File." BE SURE TO NOT DISTRIBUTE THE KEY FILE WITH YOUR QUEST!

-

Q: I've heard all about NPCs. Where do I find them?

A: NPCs were removed from Zelda Classic before the 2.10 release because they were extremely buggy. To be honest, you aren't missing anything by not having them.

-

OTHER QUESTIONS

Q: Can I save the trouble of downloading the support archive and just use the one from a 1.92 beta?

A: No! You must download the new support archives. This includes the general package and the package with the Allegro dll. Zelda Classic will not work without the new packages.

BUGS TO LOOK OUT FOR

-BS ANIMATION BUG

Zelda Classic 2.10 will not apply BS animation unless it was applied in an earlier version of ZC. It is suggested to start new quests in 1.92 in order to check this rule. Afterwards, you can resave in 2.10 and the rule still be applied.

5) CREDITS

Phantom Menace - The original ZC coder
Dark Nation - The new ZC coder
fatcatfan - The other new ZC coder
The ZC fans who had questions I included
...and anyone else I forgot.

I've not finished this document yet. I'd like it very much if people could post some things to contribute to it so that I can finish it.

#2 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:31 PM

Nice FAQ. Here's an addition:

Q: Why won't Zelda Classic work for me? I'm using Windows etc.

A: You need to download the Zelda Classic program, the support files to go with it, AND allegro just for it. Put it all in one file and it should work.

#3 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

Don't forget the import/export bugs. DN listed them in the release post I think. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Happyman, 04 January 2005 - 10:39 PM.

#4 piglet497

piglet497

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:03 PM

When I play a quest in 2.10 and I save, the next time I go to play that quest it doesn't remember where I am in the game and it gives me an error that the file cannot be found. Why does it do that? Is there a fix for that?

#5 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:26 PM

I am having the same problem. I think you have to go to the CFC file and change that.

#6 piglet497

piglet497

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:44 PM

What is the CFC file and how and what do I change it to?

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:16 PM

I uh.. Think he means the AG.CFG file, not the "CFC" file. ... icon_whap.gif ...

When I play a quest in 2.10 and I save, the next time I go to play that quest it doesn't remember where I am in the game and it gives me an error that the file cannot be found. Why does it do that? Is there a fix for that?
Did you check under "Options" in the Etc Menu, and check the box remember last? (Or something like that.) ... If you did, .. you might have either renamed, deleted, or moved your quest file manually in order for it to have not recognized it.

Go into your AG.CFG file in your ZC Directory, open it up in a standard text editor, and look for the line "qst_dir = #####" and change the "#####" to the location of your quest file, being sure to end it with the ".qst" it needs.

#8 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:16 AM

Or maybe your quests aren't all in the same folder, thus you have to pick your Quest Directory again.

#9 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:36 PM

Yeah they are. But I got it fix now thanks to BH4.

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(Happyman @ Jan 4 2005, 10:39 PM)
Don't forget the import/export bugs. DN listed them in the release post I think. icon_razz.gif

Yeah, that sucks! I can't wait untill this is fixed!

#11 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

I don't have a problem with that. I can import and export many times like I already done. icon_blink.gif

#12 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:27 PM

So glad to find this topic. Now I can start utilizing the 2.10 editor. Many thanx to you, Nick. If I learn anything of value on the way, I'll make sure to post it here.

#13 prussian

prussian

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:44 PM

This is not the post that I was looking for, but I will add trhis gripe. In a thread that I started I was asked which quests did not work in 2.10. There were two that froze at the begining, unfortunately I did not write down the names. My main concern at this time is Isle of the Winds. On two occasions after winning the hammer and saving the game seems to put me in limbo. Everything is there except link. The first time it occurred I saved in a bat ridden cellar. No problem, i know where everthing is. No it seems to happen all the tim.

The Prussian

#14 Lita

Lita

Initiate

• Members

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

I'm not as savy on this.. so bear with me. I recently returned to Zelda mania and of course got the new 2.10 version for all the new games. Only.. when I play.. it will not let me change the buttons. I hit Shift to be the "a" button.. and it won't take? Is this a known bug or is it my puter and/or user? lol I tried getting one of those support files for it. But all of a sudden my browser dosen't want to load that page. icon_confused.gif I'm now wondering.. since I have other browser issues on the Zelda site.. that maybe I picked up a bug. But that wouldn't effect my 2.10 right?

#15 Lita

Lita

Initiate

• Members

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

Running WinXP media center. I KNOW I had 2.10 on my older computer before I upgraded to this monstrosity! lol But now.. as I'm getting back into Zelda and trying to go through the different versions...2.10 is being a pain the rumpuss! lol

It will install and play.. kind of. The buttons are all whacky, meaing half the time the keyboard commands do something different. I don't have sound (or) it's grainy. I say (or) because i have uninstalled and reinstalled 'several' times! lolol I was wondering if it might be the download?? But, only place I can find it is at ZeldaClassic.com. I tried looking on purezc.com but couldn't find the actual 'game' downloads??? I have been having a LOT of issues with the ZeldaClassic site lately.. maybe that's it???

Anyway, I saw this thread... and though the first answer to a question looked good... it was confusing to me. This download, that file, and the thing about having all the versions in a Zelda Classic file?? But there were a few to choose from.. which one? I'm not doing that with the other versions but they work?

Is 2.10 that UN-user-friendly, am I getting a bad download? What? I can't figure it out.

Can someone help me out? Anyone else had sound or button designation issues? And if I do need numerous files to make it work, beyond the 2.10 download... someone out there kind enough to give me some step by steps? Maybe even links of where to get all the extra files I need???? How to apply or mix or install or whatever I have to then "do" with the files...lol. If not.. I understand... hand holding is no fun. Just will Suck I can't play 2.10 games! Again.. I had this on my old HP with WIN98... is that it? Doesn't work for XP maybe??? Help!!!! ???? lolol

Oh CRAPPPPPPPP!!!!! I'm am SUCH a frickin doofus sometimes... ya'll give me a break please... I've been going back and forth on these Zelda sites.. TRYING to get a response or someone to help with this or that... I did NOT EVEN notice that the last post was mine from MONTHS ago when I was trying to get this to work then!!!!! I DID NOT mean to double... I really didn't... please don't fuss at me... if I knew how to delete I would. Geez.. the way my luck and invisiblity has been running lately (well, all but the admin, THEY see me! Of course.) I might should just say goodbye to Zelda, cant' seem to do anything right anymore. I use to have so much fun with this?? What has happend? I can't turn around without screwing up! I am SOOOOO mad at myself right now!!@!! All because of a stupid game! well.. not stupid.. sorry. I need to change my name... that's what I have to do. Another identity, that's all I have left to me now. That and maybe look into better glasses. Work on my patience... something. Because if I step in one more mud puddle as it stands now??? I am going to loose it! Please forgive...

Edited by Lita, 14 November 2006 - 10:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users