In response to modernization

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:06 AM

Because of certain platforms not being able to read MIDI and the adding of extended music, ZNR 3.0 will be getting an upgraded edition of its already impressive soundtrack.

Betas soon.

-James

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 28 May 2024 - 12:46 AM

James, please put more substance into your project updates. This topic only insists of saying "I'm changing the music" without much more information; while I'm sure you felt this was important to share, other users have expressed concern about the project feed being spammed with low-substance updates. Perhaps use the PureZC Discord's Project Forums for smaller updates like this and save the site forums for when you have major content updates?

• Twilight Knight, Taco Chopper and Jambu like this

#3 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 28 May 2024 - 06:51 AM

I disagree with your assessment Deedee.  Changing the music is a pretty big deal.

It will take me time to get everything in regards to everything else that has happened, including the Steam Deck things, the Windows Updates, and other issues I've had to deal with..  If you don't like what I'm doing, I ask that you don't come into my project forum.  There was no need to mod there.  Thank you.

-James

2nd update:  I appealed this moderation to Matthew.  I fee it was outrageous and somewhat personal.

Edited by Nightmare, 28 May 2024 - 07:12 AM.

#4 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:03 AM

Might I propose a comprehensive devlog style thread if you want to keep using the quest project forum? That way, you can keep in touch with people who are interested without clogging up the Quest Project Feed. It's a win-win solution.

I can assure you that there's nothing personal about this. This was a group decision by the staff and there has been public, non-staff expression for Quest Project updates to be dedicated to more substantial content. We're just trying to help find you an avenue that will best serve all this. You may, of course, dedicate individual project forum updates for more substantial content as mentioned. Meanwhile, I think you should look into my own suggestion; I think it'd fit your brand of updates better.

Lastly, in regard to moderation, I want to clarify that rules still apply to project forums. Telling moderators to stay out is not an appropriate response, especially when they're being polite.

--

While I'm here, I just want to say that I've been glimpsing discussions about ZC on the Steam Deck. I'm excited to see if we can get it to fully work. Playing ZC on the go would be really fun. Best of luck with your endeavours.

• Twilight Knight and Taco Chopper like this

#5 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:20 AM

Lastly, in regard to moderation, I want to clarify that rules still apply to project forums. Telling moderators to stay out is not an appropriate response, especially when they're being polite.

--
While I'm here, I just want to say that I've been glimpsing discussions about ZC on the Steam Deck. I'm excited to see if we can get it to fully work. Playing ZC on the go would be really fun. Best of luck with your endeavours.

1. It's the eye of the beholder Shane. I feel it's very rude and impolite of what Deedee, with the past history, did, especially since I wasn't belittling members, calling them names, or doing anything to hurt other people. I feel this thing with Quest Project Forums, if there's a change, needs to be put in the forum rules for everyone to see.

2. There's a lot I'm worrying about from the producer's chair right now, including the Win 10 closure, getting a reasonable 2nd platform, among some other things. Steam Deck coming along was nice because it gives us time to deal with bigger problems and not shut us out

The latter is for another thread, but we can discuss it elsewhere in the proper ZC forum. Just trying to get everything together for a rather large address.

-James

Edited by Nightmare, 28 May 2024 - 08:20 AM.

• Valientlink likes this

#6 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 28 May 2024 - 05:26 PM

What do you mean exactly by certain platforms not being able to read MIDI, like some newer PCs or something like Linux, windows 11? I'm still on 10.

From what I understand, 2.55 has a really bad allegro bug. I brought it up in the discord but was basically told MIDI is so obsolete that there was no high priority to fix it. I wasn't aware that people didn't really use MIDIs much anymore. I was making a quest in 2.10 for a long time until I ran out of maps, and it was due anyway to upgrade to 2.5 while minimalizing the features of 2.5.

This means me not taking easy shortcuts and still building as if I'm in 2.10 for the most part. Anyway, I had someone test a beta of my quest which has been in the works for almost 13 years now, there were lapses of time where I stopped after 2013. MIDIs were bugging out a lot for them in 2.55, but for me on 2.53 none of them did, but on 2.55 they definitely were going completely weird, reminiscent of the 2.10 allegro bug but not quite as severe. I think the MIDIs should probably be fixed for 2.55 at some point, I mean said tester only came across some MIDIS that would bend awkwardly or just sound off sync and I never encountered that until I tried in 2.55. Meanwhile someone else tested in 2.55 and theirs wasn't bugging out as much, but I think he was using VirtualMIDISynth.

Anyone playing a Zquest in the last decade plus should use this program rather than the default Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth MIDI driver that's almost 20 years old. In the 2000s a lot of us had specific sound cards with another MIDI driver, I had a sound blaster live card and MIDIs sounded amazing. With VMS I can get them sounding mostly the same and oftentimes better. From crusty windows 95 sounding MIDIs to what sound like real instruments.

• Nightmare likes this

#7 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 28 May 2024 - 06:08 PM

I'm still learning about the Steam Deck:. Heck, even I got too comfortable with things!

I believe that MIDI driver dates back to XP being 04/05 Valientlink?

-James

#8 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 29 May 2024 - 05:11 PM

1. It's the eye of the beholder Shane. I feel it's very rude and impolite of what Deedee, with the past history, did, especially since I wasn't belittling members, calling them names, or doing anything to hurt other people. I feel this thing with Quest Project Forums, if there's a change, needs to be put in the forum rules for everyone to see.

For the record, me posting here was not an action I took myself; another staff member brought it up in the staff channel and I offered to write a response and post it to save them time cause I wasn't doing anything substantial beyond playing the TTYD remake. This grudge you seem to have against me is confusing to me. Please don't shoot the messenger.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#9 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 29 May 2024 - 05:55 PM

For the record, me posting here was not an action I took myself; another staff member brought it up in the staff channel and I offered to write a response and post it to save them time cause I wasn't doing anything substantial beyond playing the TTYD remake. This grudge you seem to have against me is confusing to me. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Fair enough, thank you for coming forward with that. Please continue to personally avoid me as I do you unless it's something serious or a bug report.

I think it's for the best. Thank you.

-James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users